By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Tekken Producer Says People Are Focussing Too Much On Wii U Specs

Mr Khan said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Tatsunoku vs Capcom sold more in the US than it did in Japan. Thats just sad because that game is Japanese gaming culture which was basically turned away. If the Japanese dont see the Wii as a console of choice for fighters with an exclusive console fighter its a problem. Street Fighter 3DS isnt a good indicator of life either and handhelds are the only consoles the Japanese seem to care about these days as well.

The problem with the logic here is that fighters are now online linked. Nintendo is behind and "experimenting" with multiplats that will already be on existing consoles. People can fork out another $200-300 for the new console and buy Tekken or they can stick with their existing consoles and play it with better online,community and better controls. The graphics is the only true selling point of the Wii U over the existing HD consoles whom are still within generation.

I don't quite know what we're arguing here. The game's sales will be respectable but not great, and no-one is going to buy a Wii U or any console for TTT2, but Wii U owners with nothing better to play are going to try it out when they might otherwise not, boosting its sales within the constrained environment.

A very small minority which wont reach a million will purchase it on the Wii U. Rather they would be lucky to even reach five hundred thousand. Hopefully the Wii U version of Tekken sells well but I doubt it. They are pandering to a crowd thats already spoken for with very few exclusives outside of Zombie U that matter. 

Around the Network
S.T.A.G.E. said:
archbrix said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Tekken wont be successful on the Wii U at all unless its purely selling in Japan. This game is purely for the PS3/360/Arcade. The only reason it sold well on the 360 as well is because the 360 crowd majorly was the lost group that split from the PS2 crowd. 

It's impossible to gauge just how well Tekken will fare on WiiU, as it has never appeared on a Nintendo console before.  Being that it won't come very late, if it has good advertising it could increase its chances for success.  I can see it now:  A WiiU specific commercial that highlights whatever they're doing with the controller and ends with Snoop Dogg saying, "Tekken for Wizzle U-nizzle, foos!  Ya heard?"  

One million copies sold in the US, guaranteed.    

Keep dreaming. You see the consoles  of choice for that  particular game still exist and are still within generational time. Secondly the Wii U wont be out  in time for Tekken Tag 2. It will be late by a month or so, better looking or not. Last of all Nintendo lost their fighting game fanatics to Sony (generations ago) and now since Sonys share has been split between it and Microsoft there you have it. If this game gets one million copies sold it will be in Japan. Tatsunoko vs Capcom only sold .48 M on the Wii. If it was on the PS3/360 it wouldve sold around three to four million copies. Outside of SSMB Nintendo hasnt been the console of choice the whole six years of the Wiis existence. Second of all the Wii U controller is definitely not the controller of choice for fighters either. They will need to buy the Wii U pro or an arcade stick.

Lol, wow... you took my post far too seriously...

STAGE
"People can fork out another $200-300 for the new console and buy Tekken or they can stick with their existing consoles and play it with better online,community and better controls..."

better online and controls? o_O
i dont understand how you reached that conclusion...
at least ill give you the community thing....xD

DieAppleDie said:
STAGE
you were comparing how TvC would have sold much more on the HD consoles, possibly true, but it would also have had better grafix and online being more appealing to general public, and it would have costed more to be made also...
The Soul Calibur 2 example seems much more like this situation, the same game with the same grafix, exclusive content and a huge leap in userbase...just that

Um not really, for one, it didnt have the same graphics, the PS2 version of SC2 looked clearly worst than the other two versions, I know cause i played the hell out of all three. And two people forget or want to forget that the GC version had exclusive advertisment on TV no other version was shown, the fact that PS2 still beat it my more than 50K is still impressive IMHO

oniyide said:
DieAppleDie said:
STAGE
you were comparing how TvC would have sold much more on the HD consoles, possibly true, but it would also have had better grafix and online being more appealing to general public, and it would have costed more to be made also...
The Soul Calibur 2 example seems much more like this situation, the same game with the same grafix, exclusive content and a huge leap in userbase...just that

Um not really, for one, it didnt have the same graphics, the PS2 version of SC2 looked clearly worst than the other two versions, I know cause i played the hell out of all three. And two people forget or want to forget that the GC version had exclusive advertisment on TV no other version was shown, the fact that PS2 still beat it my more than 50K is still impressive IMHO

As a GC owner I can confirm that I only bought the game because Link was in it, had no actual interest in Soul Calibur before I saw he was in. Turned out to be a marvelous game though!

Around the Network

oniyide
how big was the gap between the GC and the PS2 userbase by that time?
i think it was like 6 to 1 or something like that
if any performance was impressive it was the GCs version one

Im not quite sure how much STAGE thinks Wii U version will sell, but I dont think anyone was arguing that it will sell anywhere near the other versions. There have been other Tekkens released on Ninty systems. Tekken Advance which did better than i thought it would and the Tekken that just came out for 3DS which is doing horribly. SO this can go either way.

OT people care about specs, because the more power a system has the more you can do with the games and the more broader types of games you can have, period. doesnt really matter how funky the controller is or "innovative" if the library sucks because the hardware is low you're missing out on the good games anyway. Case in point the Wii, the controller tech itself wasnt even good. BUT I dont see thats going to be a huge problem for the Wii U, the big ass controller is more traditional and will play more games of these types and the tech as of now is still current. so no biggie

DieAppleDie said:
oniyide
how big was the gap between the GC and the PS2 userbase by that time?
i think it was like 6 to 1 or something like that
if any performance was impressive it was the GCs version one

doesnt matter how big the gap was, if people dont know the game exists HOW can they buy it?? I dont think it's impressive on GC part at all, since im sure alot of people thought it was exclusive

wait just a sec. Will TTT2 use two tablet controllers?? I was under the impression that there were no games available use both controllers at the same time, if this is true I think this is gonna hurt TTT2

oniyide said:
wait just a sec. Will TTT2 use two tablet controllers?? I was under the impression that there were no games available use both controllers at the same time, if this is true I think this is gonna hurt TTT2

Where does it say that it will use two gamepads?

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"