By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why Nintendo didnt moneyhat Monster Hunter.

Kasz216 said:
IIIIITHE1IIIII said:

I wasn't talking about ports. That way very few would buy both versions.

Yeah, but you gotta keep in mind.  MH's main region is Japan.

There are 33 Million Nintendo DS in Japan.

19 Million PSPs.

and 127 million people in the country.

I imagine there was quite a lot of overlap in DS/PSP owership.

No doubt when first developed it was thought 3DS would hit DS numbers, so a PSP version wouldn't make much sense in that scenario.

The only scenarios where a Vita version wouldn't make sense to me is if they didn't expect to make a profit from it or if Nintendo gave them money to cover up for their potential lost profit. Am I missing something?

Around the Network

If I'm not wrong, the PR for MHTriG and MH4 talks about "expand" the userbase, not to transfer from one "portable" to other.

In other words, to create a userbase in Nintendo portables + Sony portables, not to go from PSP to 3DS. Also, Nintendo is getting the numbered MH games, while Sony gets the bigger portables series. Not the same.

So, to me, there's no moneyhatting. Maybe Nintendo makes a deal to promote and bundle with 3DS, a handheld with people that buy DQ, 2D and 3D Marios, Pokemon and other middle-big franchises.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

@brendude Wow really, the DS having a bigger base could have helped it. No a PSP made Monster Hunter wouldn't work on the DS but a "DS" made Monster Hunter would have worked. And yes im implying the PSP has been a failure in the west. Releasing on the DS if possible would have been better. You don't have to believe it can takeoff in the west but it doesn't have a chance in hell on a bad selling handheld(PSP,Vita). Lol at the "Why would they release it on the 3DS?" part, I don't know ask Capcom why they chose the 3DS and not Vita lol. But ill try to explain it myself, one of them has been a failure so far, while the other outpaces it predecessor which won last Gen. They bet on the winner between these two which they were obviously right. Like I said bigger userbase means more potential sales so again why Vita?

IIIIITHE1IIIII said:
Kasz216 said:
IIIIITHE1IIIII said:

I wasn't talking about ports. That way very few would buy both versions.

Yeah, but you gotta keep in mind.  MH's main region is Japan.

There are 33 Million Nintendo DS in Japan.

19 Million PSPs.

and 127 million people in the country.

I imagine there was quite a lot of overlap in DS/PSP owership.

No doubt when first developed it was thought 3DS would hit DS numbers, so a PSP version wouldn't make much sense in that scenario.

The only scenarios where a Vita version wouldn't make sense to me is if they didn't expect to make a profit from it or if Nintendo gave them money to cover up for their potential lost profit. Am I missing something?

Like I said, I don't think they expected to make a profit from it.  Figureing that having it on the DS would cannibilize Vita sales too much.

Or vice versa really, if you make two seperate versions, that means one is going to be better... and that not only would canibilize sales, but also cost you sales from people who only own the console with the inferior version.

Assuming if not ported... the Vita version would be the better one, between canibilization and just lost sales due to the 3DS one being downgraded as just an "inferior" game.

If they were going to do so... they likely wouldn't announce the Vita game until the DS game hit the peak of its sales.

Nice try Pavolink but it could also mean take Monster Hunter to a larger userbase in order to expand. I see Vita fans really are in denial lol. Why release two Monster Hunters in a row on 3DS if their not trying to shift the base over lol. You would think a port would come to Vita before MH4 releases. But nothing has even been hinted at. Why release for a platform that has been a failure so far?

Around the Network

Or Kasz the Vita just isn't getting MH4, at least anytime soon. By time it gets it, 3DS will have had 3 and a 20 million gap would exist between them. The Vita one probably wouldn't turn a profit which is why its not getting it.

Pavolink said:
If I'm not wrong, the PR for MHTriG and MH4 talks about "expand" the userbase, not to transfer from one "portable" to other.

In other words, to create a userbase in Nintendo portables + Sony portables, not to go from PSP to 3DS. Also, Nintendo is getting the numbered MH games, while Sony gets the bigger portables series. Not the same.

So, to me, there's no moneyhatting. Maybe Nintendo makes a deal to promote and bundle with 3DS, a handheld with people that buy DQ, 2D and 3D Marios, Pokemon and other middle-big franchises.

Once again a voice of reason comes through..., thanks Pavolink

This argument looks like it could be neverending, and the other side has clearly demonstrated a lack of understanding of the principle of the monster hunter versions, (that Tri & the portable series of MH are hugely different games) the argument is clearly at cross purposes now.

It would only be if people had actually played the games themselves and were not relying on hearsay that there would ever be any hope to resolving this point of difference I feel. As this seems unlikely. I think its best to bow out of the discussion here. 

Though I myself, would never drop in to, say, a Halo discussion thread or any other game I knew nothing about & had never played & seek to argue with players of the game, even if I knew players of the game myself. It would seem like a ludicrous thing to do.

On the flipside if anyone has the aus/nz adhoc party, (or the Japanese adhoc party for portable 3rd HD, as all P3rd HD owners get that) drop me a line on my wall or via PM if you want to co-op  MH. At the moment I'm aiding my housemate on freedom unite (shes new & its my favourite one) but I own most versions of the game and enjoy co-op MH greatly. 

and to anyone who has never played MH and is wondering if they should, go for it, its an amazing challenge based,  semi open world (different areas unlock based on the hunt, but those areas are open world style free access) style, action rpg series.

PLAYSTATION NATION LADY OF JRPGS

Favourite Games of 2013 1.Tomb Raider(PS3) 2.Atelier Ayesha(PS3) 3.Virtues Last Reward (Vita)

I have read though this thread and some of the arguments are ridiculous. Momhun is a very important series of games for Capcom in Japan,, since it moved to portable that has become the dominant platform for the series there as seen by the better sales of the most recent portable versions over honhn Tri.

Capcom like many other developers are now putting many series on multiple platforms to help to build the audience of there series. hell there is even a Monhun game on IOS now. Yes monhun Tri, TriG and 4 are on Nintendo Wii/3DS and possibly Wii U, but that has nothing to so with Sony getting the Monhun series on the PS3/PSVITA or a new system from them.

Capcom are not abandoning any platform it is about expanding he userbase, if you can increase the interest in a series by expanding to more then on platform why not do it.

Japanese Pop Culture Otaku

F0X said:

Apparently since Capcom is supporting Nintendo systems, we must assume that Nintendo is moneyhatting.

Must be because nobody thinks Capcom is capable of making excellent business decisions on their own (anymore).

Yes because the Monster Hunter series sold so poorly on PSP. Maybe you should remember that it wasn't until Portable 2nd that the PSP really took off in Japan, and Portable 3rd was a far bigger seller than 3G.

The main series will probably stay on Nintendo systems but that doesn't mean Capcom is going to be stupid enough to let the massively successful Portable series die. There's a huge fanbase for that franchise, even moreso than the main franchise. Portable 4th will most likely come to Vita, Capcom isn't going to leave that fanbase out.

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

Fusioncode said:
F0X said:

Apparently since Capcom is supporting Nintendo systems, we must assume that Nintendo is moneyhatting.

Must be because nobody thinks Capcom is capable of making excellent business decisions on their own (anymore).

Yes because the Monster Hunter series sold so poorly on PSP. Maybe you should remember that it wasn't until Portable 2nd that the PSP really took off in Japan, and Portable 3rd was a far bigger seller than 3G.

The main series will probably stay on Nintendo systems but that doesn't mean Capcom is going to be stupid enough to let the massively successful Portable series die. There's a huge fanbase for that franchise, even moreso than the main franchise. Portable 4th will most likely come to Vita, Capcom isn't going to leave that fanbase out.

While I agree that PSP really took off after MH, let's not forget that it was selling at double the rate (and growing) of Vita before MH. So, that begs the question: what if portable 4th comes to 3DS too? I mean, Portable 4th is still a long way away, and 3DS might be such a behemoth compared to Vita by then that it may be unjustifiable to ignore it. Not to mention international sales, which surely will be bigger and part of capcom's strategy.