By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Top 10 RPG's this Gen (7th, so no 3DS/Vita)

BasilZero said:

Didnt play that much this gen compared to older gens

Hard to say which is top 10 so I will just list the 10 most fav RPGs I played of this generation (PS3-Wii-NDS-PSP-Xbox360-PC).

^ This list will change in the next two years.

Isn't the top 10 and your favorite 10 the same thing? I ask what people personal top 10's were, which should reflect their tastes.

Also, same with me. I didn't play as much this gen, and my list will change thanks to all the PSP/DS recommendations you made for me, and those I learned about myself. Also I think The Last Story has a decent chance at making my list.

P.S. If You liked Jeanne D'Arc that much, Fire Emblem. lol, I know I've said it enough times, but the GBA games especially....I think are the best Strategy JRPG's ever made.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

Around the Network
mysticwolf said:
I don't know if I would count Chrono Trigger since technically it's not this gen.

But Radiant Historia should go on your list once you finish it, it's a really good game

I only just started playing that now, and I really really love it. It's like a spiritual successor to Chrono Trigger (from my experience, with time manipulation and stuff) and, it may get on that list when I'm done.

Although I've played a lot of console RPG's, I'm super behind on handhelds. I have 25 games to do, lol! I'm not going 8th gen anytime soon.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database

AndrewWK said:

I supposse you don´t count Deus Ex and Batman as RPG´s

Deus Ex I would, but Batman? Why would you consider it an RPG? I loved the game btw.

1. Xenoblade Chronicles
2. Pokemon Black/White
3. The World Ends With You
4. Final Fantasy Tactics A2
5. Valkyria Chronicles
6. Demon's Souls
7. SMT: Devil Survivor
8. Pokemon Diamond/Pearl
9. Dragon Quest IX
10. Golden Sun DS

1. Final Fantasy XIII (PS3)
2. Tales of Vesperia (X360)
3. Pokemon HeartGold/SoulSilver (NDS)
4. Final Fantasy XIII-2 (PS3)
5. Mass Effect 3 (X360)
6. Mass Effect 2 (X360)
7. Deus Ex: Human Revolution (PS3)
8. Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII (PSP)
9. Mass Effect (X360)
10. Lost Odyssey (X360)

ME3 could have been higher if the ending wasn't so bad (I didn't have time to play the Extended Cut DLC yet).
And yes, FFXIII is really my favourite RPG this gen :P

2012 - Top 3 [so far]

#1                                       #2                                      #3

Around the Network
Michael-5 said:
Conegamer said:
Xenoblade is 5 places too far down your list. Otherwise, it's very similar to mine.

I thought that between the first 10 hours and the last 10 hours, there was too much walking around and pointless battles. Not much Story progression. Had this been a more compact 40 hou game, it would have gone up higher. I really loved.....well all the events after reaching the head of Machonis. (Spoiler free).

Well, wasn't it nice to be able to explore the glorious world at your own pace? The areas to explore, the sidequests, the monsters to kill...and there were plenty of plot points, like in the head of the Bionis, or in the Crotch. But that's just me?

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

10. Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn

9. Tales of Vesperia

8. Lost Odyssey

7. Castlevania Order of Ecclesia

6. Pokemon B & W

5. Mario and Luigi Bowser's Inside Story

4. Valkyrie Profile Covenant of the Plume

3. Legend of Zelda Skyward Sword

2. The Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess

1. Radaint Historia

(Haven't beaten Xenoblade or Dragon Quest 9 yet, so I excluded them from the list)

I'm an advocate for motion controls, Nintendo, and Kicking freaking Toad to the Moon!

3DS Friend Code - 0860-3269-1286

Here's all the great RPGs I've played this generation. I would definitely recommend all of them, but if I had to rank them this is how I would do it:

1. Pokemon Black/White (DS)
2. Pokemon Diamond/Pearl (DS)
3. Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn (Wii)
4. Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story (DS)
5. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (PC)
6. XenoBlade Chronicles (Wii)
7. Pokemon HeartGold/SoulSilver (DS)
8. Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time (DS)
9. Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon (DS)
10. Marvel Ultimate Alliance (X360)

Great games one and all. For someone who's not a typical RPG fan, I sure did have fun with 'em. ^_^

EDIT: Whoops, forgot about Fire Emblem. SRPGs count right?

Skyrim above Xenoblade Smeags? I am disappoint

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Can't decide on an ordered top 10. Demon's Souls and Dark Souls are pretty much the gold standard for games this gen for me I think. So one of them would have to be up there at the top. One of those rare instances where a game manages to combine the best of gaming's old ways perfectly with fresh new ideas. 

Mass Effect 1, Yakuza 4 and Valkyria Chronicles come close too, for very different reasons.

Oh and fuck The Elder Scrolls, those games are a mess.