By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Top 10 RPG's this Gen (7th, so no 3DS/Vita)

from you list I'd discount both Chrono Trigger and Pokemon Heart Gold/Silver since they're remakes(though I'd let HG/SS a pass since they're were a total re-vamp remakes)

my List world be:

1) CRIMSON GEM SAGA
2) Golden Sun: Dark Dawn
3) Tales of Vesperia
4) Tales of Graces f
5) Radiant Historia
6) Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep
7) The World Ends with You
8) Mass Effect Series
9) Xenoblade Chronicles(haven't even finished it but this will surely be in my "fav. RPG's of all time)
10) Final Fantasy XIII/XII-2

Around the Network

1. Fallout New Vegas
2. The Witcher 2
3. Risen
4. Fallout 3
5. Deus Ex: human revolution
6. Divinity II: The dragon knight saga
7. Mass Effect 2
8. Dragon age origins
9. Nier
10. Two Worlds II

Proud owner and supporter of the YAKUZA games!

#1- The Lost Odyssey
#2- Demon's Souls
#3- Fallout 3
#4- Oblivion
#5- Borderlands (if it counts?)

Conegamer said:
Michael-5 said:
Conegamer said:
Xenoblade is 5 places too far down your list. Otherwise, it's very similar to mine.

I thought that between the first 10 hours and the last 10 hours, there was too much walking around and pointless battles. Not much Story progression. Had this been a more compact 40 hou game, it would have gone up higher. I really loved.....well all the events after reaching the head of Machonis. (Spoiler free).

Well, wasn't it nice to be able to explore the glorious world at your own pace? The areas to explore, the sidequests, the monsters to kill...and there were plenty of plot points, like in the head of the Bionis, or in the Crotch. But that's just me?

It was nice, and I really loved how expansive the world was. However it did drag on, don't you think? For instance, climbing up Mechonis. Almost nothing hallens after the Fallern Arm until you reach the central factory, and that's like 5 hours of just travelling. After Colony 6 and up to Makna Forest, not much happens. That Ether Mine before Colony 6, it took me 3 hours to get to the bottom, etc, etc.

I really loved the start of the game (up to Colony 6) and the last part of the game (Mechonis Central Factory and on). In between there were good portions, lasting hours long, but there was just too much travelling and not much happening when you traveled.

This game could have been #1 with more polish, I mean the story was good, I just felt the gaps between story events were too spread out in the middle. I mean 4 hours inbetween story moments is kind of excessive. My girlfriend loves this game, but when she first got to one of these long moments, she stopped playing.

Also P.S. I loved the British accents, but I hated how you could never really see Mechonis or Bionis from the field (it was often a low resolution background, most of the time blocked by bad weather).

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

A lot of people have very, very similar lists. Mass Effect, Pokemon, Lost Odyssey, Valkyria Chronicles, Fire Emblem, Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, XenoBlade, etc, seem to be universally loved.

What's Crimson Gem Saga?

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database

Around the Network

My experience is limited so heres my list.

JRPGS
Disgaea 3
Radiant Mythology
Demon Souls
Dark Souls
White Knight Chronicles

WRPGS
Fallout 3
Dragon Age Origins
Borderlands
Mass Effect
Oblivion

Well thats my 10 5 from each.

Michael-5 said:
AndrewWK said:

I supposse you don´t count Deus Ex and Batman as RPG´s

Deus Ex I would, but Batman? Why would you consider it an RPG? I loved the game btw.

You have exp. points can level up and unlock new gadgets and abilities.

AndrewWK said:
Michael-5 said:
AndrewWK said:

I supposse you don´t count Deus Ex and Batman as RPG´s

Deus Ex I would, but Batman? Why would you consider it an RPG? I loved the game btw.

You have exp. points can level up and unlock new gadgets and abilities.

I never played Arkham City, only Arkham Asylum, so if they made changes my arguement isn't valid, but I would only argue that Batman has RPG elements. You can't upgrade your defence and attack stats can you? and I recall the gadget upgrades weren't a huge focus of the game. Even a quick playthrough would unlock all of the upgrades right?

If you want to include it on your list, go right ahead though.

Teo said:

3. FF Type-0 (PSP)

Did you import this and play it in Japanese, or are you just speculating it would be your #3?

1. Mass Effect
2. Mass Effect 2
3. Fallout 3
4. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
5. Mass Effect 3