By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox 360 failure rates are reportedly down to PS3 levels, just as the generation comes to a close

ironmanDX said:
RenderMonk said:

Think about it, Microsoft sells approximately 7-8 million Xbox360's each year (Especially during those early years when it was still "hot"). Over two years time that's 14-16 million Xbox360's sold. If there's a 50% failure rate, that means 7-8 million boxes had to be re-bought. Many people had theirs fail and need replaced and average of 2-4 times!!! And that's just for their highest failure rate time period. The numbers of "re-purchased" units are likely MUCH higher. That means in all actuality Xbox360 is about 5 million (easy) BEHIND the PS3, and that's with their full year head start.

Yeah, so the media carried the xbox when there were reports everywhere of the massive fail rate because of RroD? It didn't damage the publics view of the console and make other people choose other consoles such as the Wii or the PS3. RroD damged M$' reputation, note strengthened it. I like how you said "Think about it" and didn't actually do any thinking yourself.

Any bad news Microsoft has is quickly concealed and rarely ever matters to the mass of their fanbase whom are only playing barely a handful of games. Marketing in America is a very strong thing. The guy you were arguing against has a point as well. Theres quite a few people who repurchased Xbox 360's. I also know people who repurchased 360's to get their hands on the special edition versions (Yes, sold the same model, for a new repainted version). Microsoft knows how to sell consoles despite having few games coming out internally. They are a huge marketing entity.

Around the Network
spurgeonryan said:
^Adele has been at the top for years it seems.

Maybe Nintendo should make shoddy products, then the wii would be closer to 150-200 million as well. My month one wii is still working fine, even after multiple 3 foot drops to the floor. My day one N64 is used on a daily basis......

Adele is british, not American and from hearing her speak I doubt she see's herself as a pop artist even though shes categorized as soul/pop.As for Nintendo they didnt need to stoop that low as to knowingly rush a faulty console. How many times in your life have you heard of Nintendo having the crappiest consoles in terms of hardware that will constantly fail on you? Never sounds about right.They made a casual console that lost its steam after a stellar four year casual high (as what usually happens when you expect casuals to carry you).The next console will probably have a more balanced hardcore/casual following, speaking  hopefully. The reason A Nintendo products never sold as large as Sonys products when Sony is in first is because Sony understood everyones role in the gaming industry and in order to sell the most consoles, you should leave no stone unturned. When Sega and Nintendo were ignoring third parties after the SNES era Sony scooped them up, added greater tech and changed the worlds perception on gaming. It was no longer considered a toy any longer, but rather a piece of multimedia hardware. This expanded an audience that now ranges into their 40's who game on a dedicated level. Microsofts only role in this was to split Sonys marketshare. Same games, just that Microsoft has the top shooters. Who ever has the top shooters and casual titles wins America, Thus in the order of novelty this generation the Wii came first and then the Kinect came second. The Move came but its sales arent enough to warrant any credit for garnering casuals. The difference between Sony and Nintendo is when Sony was on top they had a more balanced and dedicated list of games from all parties, for all gamers.

ironmanDX said:
RenderMonk said:

Think about it, Microsoft sells approximately 7-8 million Xbox360's each year (Especially during those early years when it was still "hot"). Over two years time that's 14-16 million Xbox360's sold. If there's a 50% failure rate, that means 7-8 million boxes had to be re-bought. Many people had theirs fail and need replaced and average of 2-4 times!!! And that's just for their highest failure rate time period. The numbers of "re-purchased" units are likely MUCH higher. That means in all actuality Xbox360 is about 5 million (easy) BEHIND the PS3, and that's with their full year head start.

Yeah, so the media carried the xbox when there were reports everywhere of the massive fail rate because of RroD? It didn't damage the publics view of the console and make other people choose other consoles such as the Wii or the PS3. RroD damged M$' reputation, not strengthened it. I like how you said "Think about it" and didn't actually do any thinking yourself.

I said "think about it" cause that's what I wanted YOU to do. Clearly you did not. The point I was making is that even with the RROD issues the media and continued to spin things in a positive light, like "it's no big deal....it's not that serious....it's just rumored, not truth....etc." Why do you think they did that??? Because their dirty little web-pockets were lined with green, (pun intented). Between that and Microsofts relentless advertising campaings ranging in the millions of dollars, ya they bought your approval.  Look at you in this forum, still defending your xbox, still trying to say xbox is the best regardless of the RROD issues. They bought your loyalty just like they planned. :)

Check out my Gaming Website www.LiveLootLevel.com View my game blog, read some reviews, and leave a comment with your thoughts. Thanks for taking the time guys.

RenderMonk said:
ironmanDX said:
RenderMonk said:

Yeah, so the media carried the xbox when there were reports everywhere of the massive fail rate because of RroD? It didn't damage the publics view of the console and make other people choose other consoles such as the Wii or the PS3. RroD damged M$' reputation, not strengthened it. I like how you said "Think about it" and didn't actually do any thinking yourself.

I said "think about it" cause that's what I wanted YOU to do. Clearly you did not. The point I was making is that even with the RROD issues the media and continued to spin things in a positive light, like "it's no big deal....it's not that serious....it's just rumored, not truth....etc." Why do you think they did that??? Because their dirty little web-pockets were lined with green, (pun intented). Between that and Microsofts relentless advertising campaings ranging in the millions of dollars, ya they bought your approval.  Look at you in this forum, still defending your xbox, still trying to say xbox is the best regardless of the RROD issues. They bought your loyalty just like they planned. :)

Just because of RROD issue(which they have fixed now btw), doesn't mean everyone should bash MS. It was a mistake MS recognizes, and that is why they have a 3 year warranty and released the slim model that is about as reliable as the ps3 now. This was an obvious blunder MS made, and a very well known issue not just in the gaming world, but every where. Where the hell are you getting this, "MS lined peoples pocket" BS? It seems folks love to say that, but can never back it up with facts.

My point is, should we judge the 360 now, on an issue that happened 5 years ago or look at where it's at now? It's like the folks that still bring up the $600 ps3, no gamez, and psn down for a month. Is that stuff true now? no, just like the RROD fiasco.

smroadkill15 said:
RenderMonk said:
ironmanDX said:
RenderMonk said:

Just because of RROD issue(which they have fixed now btw), doesn't mean everyone should bash MS. It was a mistake MS recognizes, and that is why they have a 3 year warranty and released the slim model that is about as reliable as the ps3 now. This was an obvious blunder MS made, and a very well known issue not just in the gaming world, but every where. Where the hell are you getting this, "MS lined peoples pocket" BS? It seems folks love to say that, but can never back it up with facts.

My point is, should we judge the 360 now, on an issue that happened 5 years ago or look at where it's at now? It's like the folks that still bring up the $600 ps3, no gamez, and psn down for a month. Is that stuff true now? no, just like the RROD fiasco.

In 5 years when talking about the past of  the 360 and PS3 I am sure both RROD and PSN meltdown will come up in debates. It is just what happens.

Around the Network
smroadkill15 said:
RenderMonk said:
ironmanDX said:
RenderMonk said:

The point of my response was not about what Xbox360 is doing now, it's what transpired during the times of the failure rates. The truth of the matter is, if any other device would have suffered that kind of extended, MASSIVE failure rates, it would have ruined the product for the market. But Microsoft threw money at the websites, the reviews, the advertising, the marketing, and more in order to cover up/ discount/down play the severity of the issue so people would keep buying. AND THEY DID. This was my point. And no, I don't have proof of the underhanded payoffs that took place, do we ever really see proof of those activities? But you're a fool if you think for second this kind of thing isn't going on. Anything that involves that much money ALWAYS has this sort of thing going on behind the scenes.

To your point about focusing on how things are now, yes, both companies have had areas of disappointments that are now behind them. I'm in agreement with that. The issue really is simply that hardware with that high a failure rate for that long, should not have survived. It not only survived, it thrived, due to some shady on-goings.

Check out my Gaming Website www.LiveLootLevel.com View my game blog, read some reviews, and leave a comment with your thoughts. Thanks for taking the time guys.

S.T.A.G.E. said:

I've never heard of a console in my life has broken so many times that people had to repurchase or send in for refurbished models 1-8 times in my life. On a technical level this is the worst its ever been. Only in America could a crappy product be so high on the charts just for two exclusive games and a annual multiplat as well. Then again....looking at the American pop charts I can see why. lol

I've seen many broken Playstation 1 and 2s...

S.T.A.G.E. said:

I've never heard of a console in my life has broken so many times that people had to repurchase or send in for refurbished models 1-8 times in my life. On a technical level this is the worst its ever been. Only in America could a crappy product be so high on the charts just for two exclusive games and a annual multiplat as well. Then again....looking at the American pop charts I can see why. lol

I had plenty of PS1 and PS2's break on me.

MS paid the price for gaining a huge foothold on this gen.

Anyway, BS for people who say that MS brainwashed Americans. They were good at advertising and they did what they had to do to gain money. What about Japan? Am I liable to call Sony brainwashing Japanese?
---

Well whatever, we know that this wont happen again.

Yay!!!

S.T.A.G.E. said:

My Ps2 broke on me 3 times. 

Yay!!!