By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - The Dark Knight Rises is THE best superhero movie thus far *SPOILERS*

How would you rate The Dark Knight Rises? (Be honest please)

10 70 34.15%

9 51 24.88%

8 44 21.46%

7 12 5.85%

6 9 4.39%

5 5 2.44%

4 3 1.46%

3 2 0.98%

2 2 0.98%

1 6 2.93%

Total:204
thekitchensink said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
thekitchensink said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
thekitchensink said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Mirson said:

The first half was boring, imo, and had poor pacing and a lot of underdeveloped or pointless characters. It tried to fit a lot of sub-plots but ended up sloppy. My family hated the first half as well. That 1hr & 20 minutes bogs down the movie a lot, so no, it's not the best hero movie for me. In fact, this movie made me appreciate TDK a whole lot more.

The beginning introduced bane the exact same way Joker was introduced. This is the only batman trilogy that delved deeply into the love life and family life of Bruce Wayne. It had a great twist and showed a deeper darker side of Batmans relationship with Gotham that none of the other batmans ever showed. 

Yeah, I thought that was kind of lame.  "Wait, he was one of the guys with a mask/bag over his head the entire time?  No way!"

What?

Like you said, he was introduced the same way as Joker.  A bunch of mooks working for a big bad storm a place with their face covered (masks in TDK, bags in TDKR) and everyone wonders where their leader is until (GASP!) it turns out he was one of them all along!  Bane should have had a different entrance.

All of Batmans adversaries are crime bosses with their own style of doing things. Banes philiosphy in the movie was far more intelligent by design than anything Joker did in the last Batman. I edited my last post by the way.

Where did I imply that I didn't like Nolan's style of filmmaking?  The Dark Knight is my favorite movie of all time, and I thought Rises was fantastic.  That said, I thought the way that Bane was introduced was lame because it was very similar to the way the Joker was introduced.  The second they all came in with bags on their heads, I knew one of them was going to be Bane.  It was great in the dark knight. But here it just felt recycled, and Nolan could have come up with a more surprising reveal for him.

Where did I mention anything about the characters' philosophies?

You said it was all the same. My rebut was that all of Batmans advesaries have their own philosophy of fighting him and trying to bring terror to Gotham. Bane politically and socially took over the city with an undercurrent of soft acharist/dictatorship. Joker wanted to prove every man had his price and he was superior because he couldnt be bought. I would've loved to see Nolans take on the Riddler. That would've been amazing. Perhaps if he continues the franchise with Robin.

Around the Network
S.T.A.G.E. said:
thekitchensink said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
thekitchensink said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
thekitchensink said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Mirson said:

The first half was boring, imo, and had poor pacing and a lot of underdeveloped or pointless characters. It tried to fit a lot of sub-plots but ended up sloppy. My family hated the first half as well. That 1hr & 20 minutes bogs down the movie a lot, so no, it's not the best hero movie for me. In fact, this movie made me appreciate TDK a whole lot more.

The beginning introduced bane the exact same way Joker was introduced. This is the only batman trilogy that delved deeply into the love life and family life of Bruce Wayne. It had a great twist and showed a deeper darker side of Batmans relationship with Gotham that none of the other batmans ever showed. 

Yeah, I thought that was kind of lame.  "Wait, he was one of the guys with a mask/bag over his head the entire time?  No way!"

What?

Like you said, he was introduced the same way as Joker.  A bunch of mooks working for a big bad storm a place with their face covered (masks in TDK, bags in TDKR) and everyone wonders where their leader is until (GASP!) it turns out he was one of them all along!  Bane should have had a different entrance.

All of Batmans adversaries are crime bosses with their own style of doing things. Banes philiosphy in the movie was far more intelligent by design than anything Joker did in the last Batman. I edited my last post by the way.

Where did I imply that I didn't like Nolan's style of filmmaking?  The Dark Knight is my favorite movie of all time, and I thought Rises was fantastic.  That said, I thought the way that Bane was introduced was lame because it was very similar to the way the Joker was introduced.  The second they all came in with bags on their heads, I knew one of them was going to be Bane.  It was great in the dark knight. But here it just felt recycled, and Nolan could have come up with a more surprising reveal for him.

Where did I mention anything about the characters' philosophies?

You said it was all the same. My rebut was that all of Batmans advesaries have their own philosophy of fighting him and trying to bring terror to Gotham. Bane politicYally and socially took over the city with an undercurrent of soft acharist/dictatorship. Joker wanted to prove every man had his price and he was superior because he couldnt be bought. I would've loved to see Nolans take on the Riddler. That would've been amazing. Perhaps if he continues the franchise with Robin.

You're applying too great a scope to what I said.  You and I aren't actually disagreeing on anything--Bane was very well written and a very different  kind of threat than the Joker.  I am literally only talking about the similarities between their introductory scenes XD

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."

bane and his henchmen were quite occupy wall street like.
that was very entertaining.

I have to agree. TDKR blew me away

And I honestly preferred Bane over Joker. The scene where he destroyed Batman was chilling and then when he was talking to Bruce at the bottom of the prison shaft there was some GREAT dialogue

pezus said:
BenVTrigger said:

And I honestly preferred Bane over Joker. The scene where he destroyed Batman was chilling and then when he was talking to Bruce at the bottom of the prison shaft there was some GREAT dialogue

Glad that you agree. Tom Hardy really blew me away with his performance. And the fighting scenes were so well done, I could feel Batman's bones breaking :/

Thank goodness I didnt know it was Tom Hardy because is saw him in Warrior and those is a total 180 from what he played. 

Around the Network
pezus said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
pezus said:
BenVTrigger said:

Glad that you agree. Tom Hardy really blew me away with his performance. And the fighting scenes were so well done, I could feel Batman's bones breaking :/

Thank goodness I didnt know it was Tom Hardy because is saw him in Warrior and those is a total 180 from what he played. 

In what way do you mean? He was a physical beast in both movies at least. He was scary when in the ring in Warrior. After seeing him there I thought he was the perfect pick for Bane.

He was larger as Bane, but the characters were both so different. I also never knew before then that Hardy was British, so its just a testament to how great of actor he truly is. 

When did the crowd cheer for everyone else?

1. Batman returns in that tunnel with the music pumping in at the right moment.

2. Batman escapes from the police on the The Bat

3. Bruce make that jump!

4. Gordon setting light to the Firing BAT on the building..this got huuge cheers

5. When Batman says, "Then you have my permission to die" to Bane

6. When Bane is killed by Catwoman

7. Robin reveal, new batsign, ending

I think my crowd the audience I was with were very enthusiastic lol.

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

PDF said:
darthdevidem01 said:
When did the crowd cheer for everyone else?

1. Batman returns in that tunnel with the music pumping in at the right moment.

2. Batman escapes from the police on the The Bat

3. Bruce make that jump!

4. Gordon setting light to the Firing BAT on the building..this got huuge cheers

5. When Batman says, "Then you have my permission to die" to Bane

6. When Bane is killed by Catwoman

7. Robin reveal, new batsign, ending

I think my crowd the audience I was with were very enthusiastic lol.

I was very upset with my theater.  We did not do much cheering or clapping at all.  Most of the clapping came at the opening and ending.  I saw avengers with such a good crowd, people cheeing everytime the next superhero came onto screen.( I saw both at midnight, was in a larger theater for avengers though)

edit: and no, not better than TDK./ wish we could have kept the Rises discussion threads in one place, then I wouldnt have almost missed this thread.

Damn sounds like a boring crowd...there were so many more cheer worthy moments in this than Avengers lol.

My audience while watching Avengers wasn't a very "cheery" one!

Lots of my friends and co-workers didn't enjoy the film as well. They called it boring, not having enough Batman and that it wasn't as good as TDK. They liked the last twenty minutes of it, but they struggled to watch the rest. A couple of my female friends/co-workers enjoyed The Amazing Spider-Man a whole lot more than TDKR; I too enjoyed it more than TDKR. The love relationship was actually developed and engaging, Peter Parker's character development was great, and the fights were nicely choreographed.

Before the movie released, I was already planning on buying it on blu-ray. But now, I don't know. I really have no intentions of watching it again.

pezus said:

I've never understood people cheering in the cinema lol. We don't do very much of that here.

I remember in a star wars documentary that apparently Silence is the best "reaction" Japanese audiences can give to a movie at the end of it and Star Wars (1977) got that...but the cast that was there at a screening in Japan thought the movie went badly with the audience as they are used to cheers in America at the end if the audience likes the movie.