By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - The Dark Knight Rises is THE best superhero movie thus far *SPOILERS*

How would you rate The Dark Knight Rises? (Be honest please)

10 70 34.15%

9 51 24.88%

8 44 21.46%

7 12 5.85%

6 9 4.39%

5 5 2.44%

4 3 1.46%

3 2 0.98%

2 2 0.98%

1 6 2.93%

Total:204

I AGREE!!!!!!!!

Seeing it again & hopefully one more time

FIRST MOVIE I SEE 3 TIMES IN CINEMAS!

Only seen 2 other movies more than once in Cinemas (Harry Potter 1 & the former best threequel ever, episode III)

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Around the Network

And I personally thought every scene with Catwoman in it Anne stole the show...loved her performance throughout.

I'm still going to give the slight edge to The Dark Knight. Joker was just so menacing that you felt his presence even when he wasn't onscreen. Even when he was in jail and Batman was beating the piss out of him, you still felt like Joker had the upper hand. Heath gave a once-in-a-lifetime performance. By making Batman choose between Rachel and Harvey, he effectively made him decide 'Do I want to be Batman or Bruce Wayne?' Only he even cheated him out of THAT after he made his decision. It was just incredible.

Also, almost every line spoken by a main character in TDK was gold. 'Some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. Some men just want to watch the world burn.' 'You wanna know how I got these scars?' 'I think you and I are destined to do this forever!' 'How about a magic trick?' 'I believe that whatever doesn't kill you simply makes you... stranger.' I could go on for quite a while. There was a lot of great dialogue in TDKR, too, but I don't feel it was nearly as consistent in this way.

Also, in TDKR, I know that there's nothing they could do about this, but I couldn't help but feel the absence of the Joker. Obviously it would be disrespectful to Heath Ledger to have someone else play him, but come on. They reference every little thing from the previous movies. Ra's al Ghul is in flashbacks and the hallucination (not to mention his daughter and his league of assassins), Scarecrow puts in an appearance, and the impact of Harvey and Rachel's deaths on Bruce and Gotham is made crystal clear. Even the necklace that Bruce's dad gave to his mom in the first movie is an important plot point. With that in mind, it just seemed silly that they wouldn't even mentionthe guy that ripped Batman apart psychologically. Done properly, it could have been even more respectful of Heath Ledger to acknowledge the impact that 'he' had on the series. As it is, the lack of any sort of acknowledgement felt very strange.

That said, Rises did have several things that it did better. The fight scenes were spectacular. God, the scene where Bane just absolutely humiliates Batman when they first meet was utterly fantastic. Then when Batman knocked out all the lights and you think he might escape, but Bane's like 'LOLno.' You absolutely felt like Batman could have died there. It was the only fight scene in the whole trilogy where I felt Batman was truly in danger of being physically beaten.

The climax was brilliant, too. In his final act, Batman was able to simultaneously save the city and convince the residents that he is a hero. I involuntary cupped my hands to my mouth and gasped when the Bat exploded and we thought he died. That funeral scene was absolutely heartrending. And then we get that beautiful little ending scene where he's in Italy with Catwoman living out Alfred's dream. For the first time since that day when he was a small child in that alleyway, he is truly happy.

All in all, while I still prefer Dark Knight, TDKR is probably my second-favourite superhero film, and was an excellent way to close out the trilogy.

For what it's worth, this is also the first movie I've ever been to where the audience broke out into thiunderous applause when the credits rolled :)

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."

YEah it got a standing ovation once it was over.

People were cheering once they realised Bruce LIVED, it was revealed Blakes name was ROBIN....and a mild cheer when Alfred sees Bruce.

And then we see Blake rising on the platform and that was the end...once The Dark Knight Rises showed up people clapped standing up!

Mirson said:

The first half was boring, imo, and had poor pacing and a lot of underdeveloped or pointless characters. It tried to fit a lot of sub-plots but ended up sloppy. My family hated the first half as well. That 1hr & 20 minutes bogs down the movie a lot, so no, it's not the best hero movie for me. In fact, this movie made me appreciate TDK a whole lot more.

The beginning introduced bane the exact same way Joker was introduced. This is the only batman trilogy that delved deeply into the love life and family life of Bruce Wayne. It had a great twist and showed a deeper darker side of Batmans relationship with Gotham that none of the other batmans ever showed. 

Around the Network
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Mirson said:

The first half was boring, imo, and had poor pacing and a lot of underdeveloped or pointless characters. It tried to fit a lot of sub-plots but ended up sloppy. My family hated the first half as well. That 1hr & 20 minutes bogs down the movie a lot, so no, it's not the best hero movie for me. In fact, this movie made me appreciate TDK a whole lot more.

The beginning introduced bane the exact same way Joker was introduced. This is the only batman trilogy that delved deeply into the love life and family life of Bruce Wayne. It had a great twist and showed a deeper darker side of Batmans relationship with Gotham that none of the other batmans ever showed. 

Yeah, I thought that was kind of lame.  "Wait, he was one of the guys with a mask/bag over his head the entire time?  No way!"

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."
thekitchensink said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Mirson said:

Yeah, I thought that was kind of lame.  "Wait, he was one of the guys with a mask/bag over his head the entire time?  No way!"

What? I like depth and well made movies. If you dont want Nolans all encompasing view of Batmans realm enjoy Xmen. A rushed script misusing great actors, with bad direction and design.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
thekitchensink said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Mirson said:

What?

Like you said, he was introduced the same way as Joker.  A bunch of mooks working for a big bad storm a place with their face covered (masks in TDK, bags in TDKR) and everyone wonders where their leader is until (GASP!) it turns out he was one of them all along!  Bane should have had a different entrance.

thekitchensink said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
thekitchensink said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Mirson said:

What?

Like you said, he was introduced the same way as Joker.  A bunch of mooks working for a big bad storm a place with their face covered (masks in TDK, bags in TDKR) and everyone wonders where their leader is until (GASP!) it turns out he was one of them all along!  Bane should have had a different entrance.

All of Batmans adversaries are crime bosses with their own style of doing things. Banes philiosphy in the movie was far more intelligent by design than anything Joker did in the last Batman. I edited my last post by the way.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
thekitchensink said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
thekitchensink said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Mirson said:

What?

All of Batmans adversaries are crime bosses with their own style of doing things. Banes philiosphy in the movie was far more intelligent by design than anything Joker did in the last Batman. I edited my last post by the way.

Where did I imply that I didn't like Nolan's style of filmmaking?  The Dark Knight is my favorite movie of all time, and I thought Rises was fantastic.  That said, I thought the way that Bane was introduced was lame because it was very similar to the way the Joker was introduced.  The second they all came in with bags on their heads, I knew one of them was going to be Bane.  It was great in the dark knight. But here it just felt recycled, and Nolan could have come up with a more surprising reveal for him.

Where did I mention anything about the characters' philosophies?