By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Shooting at Batman Premiere - 12 dead / Your opinions on gun laws

radishhead said:
leatherhat said:
radishhead said:
leatherhat said:
radishhead said:
mrstickball said:
radishhead said:

http://www.kctv5.com/story/19071381/shooting-at-theater-during-batman-premiere-in-colorado

I just turned on the news and I saw this incident - apparently it's the worst in the USA since a school shooting many years ago (I think), so it's extremely saddening.

Aside from just reporting the story however (which I assume American users know about already), I wondered what your opinions were regarding gun laws. It's impossible to deny that the chances of such a tragedy happening would be reduced if ownership of a gun is illegal without a license (assuming these licenses were very difficult to get, and wouldn't allow a civilian to carry one in public). Is the idea of possessing a gun an outdated idea, or is it still significant in the modern world?

Doesn't change the fact he could have done a thousand other things to kill them. Or purchased the gun illegally. We don't know if he owned firearms legally, or illegally.

You magically assume evil people won't be evil if they can't own a gun. That isn't the case. American crime rates have steaidly been decreasing for the past 20 years, despite the fact that gun ownership is at an all-time high.

Furthermore, the availability of carry concealed weapons have done a lot to prevent these types of shootings, or at least mitigate the damage. In the shooting of Gabrielle Giffords, it wasn't a cop that aprehended the suspect, but gun owner with a legal carry permit.

Gun crimes in the UK are almost unheard of - when it happens, it's serious gangs aiming to rob diamond/jewelery shops or something, not just some random guy with a rifle. But I guess you're right in that gun ownership in America has gone past the level of just being able to ban them now, too many people own them, so it's safer to own them than to not

It might have been lower at one point but gun crime in the UK has shot up 110 percent over the past decade. And I assume the gun laws have stayed the same. 

Still makes up just 0.3% of all UK crime - and the number is decreasing in England, Wales and Scotland - people are still shooting eachother more regularly in Ireland though

Can't say about Scotland, but in England and Wales the numbers have shot up from 5,000 gun crimes in 1999 to almost 10,000 in 2010. 

Well, my data was recording from 2006-2012, and showed a decrease, so I'm not sure what happened between 1999 and 2006

Like all of Europe, massive immigration 

ǝןdɯıs ʇı dǝǝʞ oʇ ǝʞıן ı ʍouʞ noʎ 

Ask me about being an elitist jerk

Time for hype

Around the Network
leatherhat said:

Like all of Europe, massive immigration 

But the white devils are to blame because they don't gave these innocent, ready to assimilate people the jobs, houses, welfare etc. they need, so your point is moot  

How is a guy able to walk into the movies with THREE GUNS???? Is there no security etc.???? wtf?

Intel Core i7 3770K [3.5GHz]|MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower|Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866 2 x 4GB|MSI GeForce GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr 2|OCZ Vertex 4 128GB|Corsair HX750|Cooler Master CM 690II Advanced|

What the what?! This is madness, how can someone even have a motive for this??

blkfish92 said:
What the what?! This is madness, how can someone even have a motive for this??

No motive i guess. Some men just want to watch the world burn

Around the Network
radishhead said:
Allfreedom99 said:
Chandler said:
Guns just don't belong in the hands of civilians. I mean, what's the point? Self defense? Yeah, right. All a gun does is make shit worse.

question for you. Hypothetical. Say someone breaks into your residence or attacks you on the street and comes at you with a knife. Would you rather have a gun or a knife to defend your life?

More Gun control is just what it is, more government control. It gives government more control over how you live your life and choose to protect yourself. If you like more government control in your life thats fine, but I like having the freedom to protect myself and my family with a gun.

Why would they have a knife if everyone has a gun?

What Im getting at is, What would you prefer to protect your own life with? A knife or a gun.I think without even giving a person the option most people would say their life is worth a lot to themselves so they would want the best possible defense that they can get in order to save their or a loved ones life.

Its about personal freedom and liberty to choose how you want to protect yourself.

Chandler said:
mrstickball said:
Chandler said:
Guns just don't belong in the hands of civilians. I mean, what's the point? Self defense? Yeah, right. All a gun does is make shit worse.

Switzerland disagrees with you.

Nobody gives a shit about Switzerland.

But in the case of Switzerland, most civilians have military-grade firearms. They have about as much death and violence as Germany does.

The reality is that there is no correlation between firearm ownership and homicides. People love to cite America as some sort of proof that guns = crime and death, when the reality is that there are many other factors involved in the US, and it doesn't pass muster in all of the other countries with high firearm ownership and low crime, as well as high crime/low gun ownership countries.

Additionally, if you broke out the data by state, you'd find that there is a significant correlation between massive gun regulations and higher incedents of muders in the US. The safest states tend to be gun-lovers, featuring specific other factors that make them murder-averse.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

I'm so sorry to hear about this and my condolences go out to the families. I don't think I can enjoy the movie nearly as much as I want to now.

It's weird hearing about this story after hearing another story that claims that the American Government will soon be able to kill civilians who don't turn in their guns. It's really sounding fishy. Here's a link to the other story.

http://www.worldstarhiphop.com/videos/video.php?v=wshhA4wwM9xvay09n1CG

Now I'm wondering if this guy who shot all those people in the theatre was some sort of hired hand by the CIA/FBI... A false flag operation to quickly gain compliance from the public.

"Common sense is not so common." - Voltaire

Platinumed Destiny, Vanquish, Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus, Catherine, and Metal Gear Rising. Get on my level!!

Get your Portable ID!                                                                                     

:*(