By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Shooting at Batman Premiere - 12 dead / Your opinions on gun laws

the2real4mafol said:
Viper1 said:
the2real4mafol said:
Guns shouldn't be so easily obtained, they should be tough criminal checks and a limit on the capacity of ammo you can have at one time among many other things.

Most states do have tough background checks on gun purchases and limtng ammo purcahses won't change anything.  Many gun owners will go through several hundred rounds at the gun range each sitting.   And Holmes only fired 150 or so rounds out of the 6,000 he purchased.  In fact, very few gun involved crimes involve morre than just a couple of rounds.

150 is plenty to kill many though, plus if some stranger came to my gun shop and bought 6000 bullets in one go, i would be suspicious. wouldn't you?

no i buy that much all the time.

a lot of people like me like buying in bulk, it saves money, and protects them for the future, incase ammo prices go way up, or are hard to come by

Around the Network
the2real4mafol said:
Viper1 said:

Our problem isn't the guns, it's the intention behind the guns.   You don't solve a problem by banning.  That has never in the hsitory of this planet worked.  EVER.   You solve problems by learning the underlying motivations and dealing with that.

Bandaids don't fix a broken arm.

Surely it would work this way, with other illegal activity like drugs and prostitution then. Clearly the war on drugs flopped just like ban on booze in the 1920's

Now you're beginning to see why a ban itself simply won't solve anything.

Think of a parent with 2 kids.  One kid hit the other with a stick.  Does the parent ban all sticks and do nothing else or try to find the problem behind why one of them wanted a stick to commit violence in the first place?

The rEVOLution is not being televised

the2real4mafol said:
Viper1 said:
the2real4mafol said:
Viper1 said:
the2real4mafol said:

150 is plenty to kill many though, plus if some stranger came to my gun shop and bought 6000 bullets in one go, i would be suspicious. wouldn't you?

10 Is enough to kill 10 people.   10 from Store A, 10 from store B, 10 from store C and 10 from store D is enough to kill 40 people.

And what makes one a stranger to a business?  Must you know every customer personally?

I mean what is the restriction was down to 200 bullets per purchase?  That wouldn't have prevented this tragedy at all.

And as I said, it's not uncommon for gun collectors and range shooters to purchase large quantities in one go.

what if they don't come from the same town as the shop owner or if it's the first time they met, they ARE a stranger then. Gun shops ain't like supermarkets, they only get a small amount of customers compared to say Walmart. AND those who collect and/or shoot for sport should have to prove it, i think that's reasonable. But to be honest there is no quick solution to this problem, although something MUST be done to sort it, especially since YET another massacre has occurred. this time in an attack against sikhs

Our problem isn't the guns, it's the intention behind the guns.   You don't solve a problem by banning.  That has never in the hsitory of this planet worked.  EVER.   You solve problems by learning the underlying motivations and dealing with that.

Surely it would work this way, with other illegal activity like drugs and prostitution then. Clearly the war on drugs flopped just like ban on booze in the 1920's

I'm pretty sure that's exactly Viper's point.   It doesn't work for drugs, guns or prostitution.

Most of the pro gun control people on these boards your going to come across tend to fall in one of two categories.

1) Libretarians, people who think drugs, prostitution and guns should be legal, because it's right.

2) Statisticians, people who things drugs, prositituion and guns should be legal, because that's what the statistics show.

Kasz216 said:
the2real4mafol said:
Viper1 said:
the2real4mafol said:
Viper1 said:
the2real4mafol said:

10 Is enough to kill 10 people.   10 from Store A, 10 from store B, 10 from store C and 10 from store D is enough to kill 40 people.

And what makes one a stranger to a business?  Must you know every customer personally?

I mean what is the restriction was down to 200 bullets per purchase?  That wouldn't have prevented this tragedy at all.

And as I said, it's not uncommon for gun collectors and range shooters to purchase large quantities in one go.

what if they don't come from the same town as the shop owner or if it's the first time they met, they ARE a stranger then. Gun shops ain't like supermarkets, they only get a small amount of customers compared to say Walmart. AND those who collect and/or shoot for sport should have to prove it, i think that's reasonable. But to be honest there is no quick solution to this problem, although something MUST be done to sort it, especially since YET another massacre has occurred. this time in an attack against sikhs

I'm pretty sure that's exactly Viper's point.   It doesn't work for drugs, guns or prostitution.

Most of the pro gun control people on these boards your going to come across tend to fall in one of two categories.

1) Libretarians, people who think drugs, prostitution and guns should be legal, because it's right.

2) Statisticians, people who things drugs, prositituion and guns should be legal, because that's what the statistics show.

i'm a big hypocrite to myself then lol because i would actually be a libertarian if i lived in America, they have good policies, better than any republican or democrat. i just don't like seeing people getting killed for no reason at all 

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018