By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Shooting at Batman Premiere - 12 dead / Your opinions on gun laws

-CraZed- said:

1. Here are some incidents from around the world (many of teh countries have much strciter gun laws than the US):

2011 Anders Breivik went on a rampage that left 77 dead in Norway (some of the toughest gun laws anywhere)

And yet, he obtained his guns legally.

-CraZed- said:

2009 17-year-old Tim Kretschmer walked into a German elementary school and killed 15 people

He also used weapons that were legally obtained.

And the same is probably true for many other of the cases you mentioned, those are just two cases that I know for sure.

Here in Germany we have rather strict gun laws as well. But of course there are illegal weapons - estimates are that 60-66% of all guns in Germany are illegal. When over here guns are used in crimes, the vast majority of them are illegal.

And yet, for some bizarre reason, whenever we had a huge rampage killing over here (and unfortunately we've had quite a few in the last decade or so), the killers were always using legally obtained guns. Because in practice, even the strictest gun law usually makes exceptions for people in gun clubs. And it's usually these people and their relatives who do rampage killings. (The most common case is actually the son of some guy in a gun club who knows how to open daddy's gun closet).

So all your arguments about people being able to obtain guns illegally sound very plausible in theory, but in my opinion practice shows that gun laws do make a difference. I personally believe that the law-abiding citizen is an illusion, because given the "right" circumstances, everyone can freak out. And when that happens, they better don't have a gun around. And especially if so far you've been normal, law-abiding person, chances are you don't quite really know how to quickly obtain guns illegally, it will be a kind of barrier.

Maybe it's different in the US, maybe it's really ridiculously easy over there for just everyone to buy illegal machine guns. But if, boy, am I glad not to live over there.

Around the Network
Viper1 said:
ArnoldRimmer said:

Comparing people's desire to obtain substances they are addicted to to guns seems quite far fetched to me. And that banning guns would not mean an end to gun-related crimes is so obvious nobody would claim the opposite. It would of course only lead to fewer such crimes, which I consider a step forward. I think that would make more sense than to hope for that legendary "armed law-abiding citizen" who stops the homicidal maniac with the gun he always wears. Somehow that mysterical superhero just never turns up when we need him, does he? But let's be fair, he was probably simply too late, because he obviously had to abide by the speed limit... Or maybe it was James Holmes himself, who from all we know so far was a perfectly "law-abiding citizen" until he turned out to have a rather dark side?

Anyway, I realize that there is no point in discussing banning guns in America. If they really want guns allowed (and they obviously do) - let them have them. But maybe they should still think about slightly changing their laws. If they want a weapon to defend themselves, for example against burglars, fine. But they don't need to have several weapons for that, including automatic machine guns with huge magazines etc. I'm sure even legendary superhero "armed law-abiding citizen" wouldn't carry more than a single small non-automatic gun in his everyday life.

Actually, I don't debate on the side that soneone would step up as an "armed law biding citizen" to shoot the perpetrator.  I debate on the side of deterrence.

If a criminal knows his targets could be armed, he's less likely to go through with the crime to begin with.  That's where I stand.  It's the threat of knowing he could himself get shot that is the true benefit of a gun owning society.   The rarity of an "armed law biding" citizen actually shooting would be attackers is nice and all but again, rare, and not the best debate point.

But if a criminal knows his targets are not armed because it's illegal for them to carry a gun, he's free to attack as he pleases.  See how it would actually increase gun crime?    If guns were banned, only the "armed law biding" citizens would turn in their guns.  The criminals would still keep theirs and then put them to good use, as it were.

No, if a criminal thinks his mark might be armed he'll attack first, rather than simply go for the stick up. The opportunist criminal might be deterred if he thinks there's a high chance of the mark being armed, but the career criminal will simply have different strategies.

Me personally, I don't own a gun and I would never own a gun, well except for when the zombie horde strikes. But no zombies means no gun for me. And I feel quite safe.

The answer to preventing crime is not to arm the citizenry. The answer to preventing crime is to create a society where everyone feels like they have a stake in the wellbeing of the community, they feel valued and part of society as a whole.

If you have a disaffected underclass, you'll have crime. If you have a sociopathic greedy elite, you'll have crime. If you give everyone in the middle guns, you'll still have crime.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

ArnoldRimmer said:
-CraZed- said:

1. Here are some incidents from around the world (many of teh countries have much strciter gun laws than the US):

2011 Anders Breivik went on a rampage that left 77 dead in Norway (some of the toughest gun laws anywhere)

And yet, he obtained his guns legally.

-CraZed- said:

2009 17-year-old Tim Kretschmer walked into a German elementary school and killed 15 people

He also used weapons that were legally obtained.

And the same is probably true for many other of the cases you mentioned, those are just two cases that I know for sure.

Here in Germany we have rather strict gun laws as well. But of course there are illegal weapons - estimates are that 60-66% of all guns in Germany are illegal. When over here guns are used in crimes, the vast majority of them are illegal.

And yet, for some bizarre reason, whenever we had a huge rampage killing over here (and unfortunately we've had quite a few in the last decade or so), the killers were always using legally obtained guns. Because in practice, even the strictest gun law usually makes exceptions for people in gun clubs. And it's usually these people and their relatives who do rampage killings. (The most common case is actually the son of some guy in a gun club who knows how to open daddy's gun closet).

So all your arguments about people being able to obtain guns illegally sound very plausible in theory, but in my opinion practice shows that gun laws do make a difference. I personally believe that the law-abiding citizen is an illusion, because given the "right" circumstances, everyone can freak out. And when that happens, they better don't have a gun around. And especially if so far you've been normal, law-abiding person, chances are you don't quite really know how to quickly obtain guns illegally, it will be a kind of barrier.

Maybe it's different in the US, maybe it's really ridiculously easy over there for just everyone to buy illegal machine guns. But if, boy, am I glad not to live over there.

Andres bought his weapons on black market in prague, czech republic and Tim stole the weapons from his dad

Id say the more strict gun laws exist, the harder it is for law abiding citizens to aqquire them for protection, and the easier it will be for criminals to get them. Thus leaving them defenseless. If this shit ever happened in places like Gary, Indiana, he would've hit the floor (getting shot or killed; either way) the moment he would've open fired.

Red4ADevil said:

If this shit ever happened in places like Gary, Indiana, he would've hit the floor (getting shot or killed; either way) the moment he would've open fired.

Yea, sure. Keep dreaming. If all those people in the theatre had had guns, the following would have happened:

Armed guy nr 257 in row 17 doesn't see anything because of the smoke grenade and can't move around because of the panic all around him. For some miraculous coincidence, he does start shooting towards the (fully equipped with bullet-proof gear) loonie in the front, probably hitting a few people running around him instead. Now guy nr 87 in row 49 happens to sees the muzzle fire and starts to shoot at that place, thinking he sees the loonie's gun firing. Now other guys join the shooting... you get the point of the end result with a room full of essentially blind and panicked armed people).

Fact is: life is not a movie, although this tragedy happened in a movie theatre. No amount of Stallone/Norris/Schwarzenegger movies consumed would have prevented the tragedy, it could have gotten much worse instead.

Around the Network
drkohler said:

Red4ADevil said:

If this shit ever happened in places like Gary, Indiana, he would've hit the floor (getting shot or killed; either way) the moment he would've open fired.

Yea, sure. Keep dreaming. If all those people in the theatre had had guns, the following would have happened:

Armed guy nr 257 in row 17 doesn't see anything because of the smoke grenade and can't move around because of the panic all around him. For some miraculous coincidence, he does start shooting towards the (fully equipped with bullet-proof gear) loonie in the front, probably hitting a few people running around him instead. Now guy nr 87 in row 49 happens to sees the muzzle fire and starts to shoot at that place, thinking he sees the loonie's gun firing. Now other guys join the shooting... you get the point of the end result with a room full of essentially blind and panicked armed people).

Fact is: life is not a movie, although this tragedy happened in a movie theatre. No amount of Stallone/Norris/Schwarzenegger movies consumed would have prevented the tragedy, it could have gotten much worse instead.

wow!!

first of all, its quite easy to point out where gun shot are comming from, with muzzle flash and all.

2nd, although there were many people far away from him in the theatre, there were those that were very close to him who would have had a much better shot. its not like all of them were 30yds away from him.

3rd) for the last time, he wasnt weaing body armor, just because the ignorant media, equates a tactical vest made with nylon to a cevlar/plated vest doesnt mean it is. his atire would have given him no protection from bullets. its was made of nylon for gosh sake. al it was for was to hold magazine and stuff.

furthermore, even if it was body armor, it isnt just some magical ipenatrable force field were bullets just bounc off you. when bullets are hitting that armor, he is going to be in a world of pain, he will get the wind knocked out of him, he will liikely fall over and doube over in pain. it is very likely that  he breaks bones, like cracking his ribs from the impact.

also every good conceal carrier, already practices the failure to stop drill. which is, when putting 2 shots (or more) to the chest, does not result in the stoppage of the threat, so why are taught and train to the go after a target such as the head.

so good luck with your theory pal.

killerzX said:
drkohler said:

Red4ADevil said:

wow!!

first of all, its quite easy to point out where gun shot are comming from, with muzzle flash and all.

2nd, although there were many people far away from him in the theatre, there were those that were very close to him who would have had a much better shot. its not like all of them were 30yds away from him.

3rd) for the last time, he wasnt weaing body armor, just because the ignorant media, equates a tactical vest made with nylon to a cevlar/plated vest doesnt mean it is. his atire would have given him no protection from bullets. its was made of nylon for gosh sake. al it was for was to hold magazine and stuff.

furthermore, even if it was body armor, it isnt just some magical ipenatrable force field were bullets just bounc off you. when bullets are hitting that armor, he is going to be in a world of pain, he will get the wind knocked out of him, he will liikely fall over and doube over in pain. it is very likely that  he breaks bones, like cracking his ribs from the impact.

also every good conceal carrier, already practices the failure to stop drill. which is, when putting 2 shots (or more) to the chest, does not result in the stoppage of the threat, so why are taught and train to the go after a target such as the head.

so good luck with your theory pal.

Sorry, but I don't think I'd be very comfortable sitting in a theater full of people carrying guns, even if they're all law-abiding citizens carrying them solely for self-defense.  

killerzX said:
Marks said:
killerzX said:
Mr Khan said:
Marks said:
yum123 said:
Marks said:
If guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns.

No amount of gun control would have stopped this, but maybe with less gun control an armed law-abiding citizen in the theatre could have stopped this and minimalized casualties. The police are there to bag and tag bodies and arrest the criminal after the fact, not to prevent crime.

that is such a narrow minded view. what a load of crap. look at most countries where guns are illegal, there are far far fewer gun murders in those countries compared to the usa. If they outlawed guns you wouldnt be able to find them so easily in shops. also It would slowly seep out of their culture. thats the problem with usa guns are a part of there culture

No, actually the view that gun control will stop gun crime is narrow minded. There are more than enough statistics in the US that show less gun control actually lowers crime. Thousands of citizens stop crimes each year with legally purchased guns. And do you really think gun control will stop a well planned out murder like this, Columbine, etc. that have had months, if not years, of planning? It was going to happen one way or another. 

Just like more concealed-carry wouldn't have stopped this. Freak events like this are just that: freak, and shouldn't be determinant of policy. The only good thing here is it helps, just maybe, to convince people that maybe it isn't a good idea for just anyone to have access to an AR-15, but everyone can agree that there is little that would have stopped this: no-one could have John McClained this guy no matter what people think, while he seemed perfectly capable of devising homemade explosives that he could have used in lieu of easily accessible guns.

what im always stuck by, is how people who love gun control, especially those in the media, love saying buzz words like "high-powered" assault weapon" military style"semi-automatic (this media loves confusing full auto, with semi-auto)  etc.

but in reality this "high powered assualt rifle" AR-15, is functionally no different than most hunting rifles, its just that the AR-15 looks "scary," so it should be banned

in fact this gun is significantly more deadly than....

this gun:

Thank you! Finally a reasonable person. Just because it looks military style like an M-16 people think it's more deadly. There are way more powerful/deadly weapons that civilians can have. 

but i 100% disagree with you about 50/100 round magazines should be illegal.

they should be perfectly legal, in fact him using that 100 round drum magazine saved a lot of lives. see,  high capacity drum magazines are prone to "jamming" because packing all those rounds of ammunation puts a lot of stress of the spring in the mag, and it often mis-feeds into the gun, causing lots of jams. the shooter had a jam, and being the untrained, inexperienced shooter that he was, he had no idea how to fix the malfunction. that saved numerous lives.

Yeah like I don't think they should be banned, but it's something I'd be willing to give up if it'll shut the left wing media up for a moment or two. 

killerzX said:

That is such a bad arguement. People use their cars to get to work, school, hospitals, friends or family houses, amongst just about every place in the world
What benefits does owning a gun have besides protecting you from other guns?