By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Shooting at Batman Premiere - 12 dead / Your opinions on gun laws

Allfreedom99 said:
enrageorange said:

don't think any amount of training with a gun will allow someone to properly comprehend what is going on in a situation like this unless he has actual experience in life or death situations. While it is true in certain situations a gun owner could save the day, this is not one of them. Unless the gun owner is a very experienced police officer or soldier, who has been in combat situations, there is almost no way he would have been able to keep his cool, and patiently wait for an opportunity to kill the man. He would either ran away or start shooting at the man immediately, not knowing he had body armor and being in a dark room full of tear gas.

Regardless hopefully this tragedy is not something that crazy people decide to copy.

While true that would be a severly nerve racking and horrific event to experience I still think giving citizens more ability to defend themselves would help in most circumstances. Granted this man had a bullet proof vest, gas and it was a dark room, but chances are there was probably either an off duty cop, or military/x military individual in the crowd that would likely had proper training in that situation that could have potentially saved lives.

I think allowing concealed weapons would still be worth it even in a risky situation like that if it had the potential to save more lives and stop the killer. I will always err on the side of giving more opportunity to allow law abiding citizens to defend themselves. But I do however agree that having a concealed carry permit should require extensive training.

And as you of course I also hope this does not attract other mentally unstable people to copy this event.

His statement is absolutely false.

Its a daily occurance that a legal, responsible, concealed weapon holder diffuses robberies, murders, and home invasions in the US. It isn't a matter of some act reserved for cops or the military. Anyone responsible can deal with a situation with a basic amount of training.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Around the Network

Guns just don't belong in the hands of civilians. I mean, what's the point? Self defense? Yeah, right. All a gun does is make shit worse.

Ongoing bet with think-man: He wins if MH4 releases in any shape or form on PSV in 2013, I win if it doesn't.

Chandler said:
Guns just don't belong in the hands of civilians. I mean, what's the point? Self defense? Yeah, right. All a gun does is make shit worse.

Switzerland disagrees with you.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

mrstickball said:
Chandler said:

Switzerland disagrees with you.

Nobody gives a shit about Switzerland.

Ongoing bet with think-man: He wins if MH4 releases in any shape or form on PSV in 2013, I win if it doesn't.

What is wrong with some people. How could this kid do a thing like this. I hope this never happens again. My prayers are with the victims.

Around the Network
Allfreedom99 said:
Despicable. I woke up to this news 2 hours ago as well.

He threw canisters of gas. Possessed high powered rifle and hang guns. Was wearing a gas mask and cevlar/ bullet proof vest. The only description I heard was that he was tall slemdar and a muscular build. Name is James Holmes and he was 24.

On the OP wanting to know about gun laws... There is no way u will stop violent crimes with strict gun laws. Normal citizens will abide by the law. Criminals will still be able to get guns on the black market or secretly.

I disagree with the OP on this. If the theatre allowed concealed carry and I was carrying u better b darn sure I would do everything I could to try and stop him. You see this is the problem. Only law abiding citizens will abide by strict laws. If an experienced gunman was there with a concealed weapon they would have had the power to try and stop him before he killed more.

If they were banned nationwide, it would still be prohibitively difficult. The problem with gun control initiatives is that they haven't been sweeping enough, and that the (no longer necessary) 2nd Amendment is in the way.

And the difference with Switzerland is that they train all citizens of age who are required to maintain those semiautomatics. It's a different country in a different situation than America.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Chandler said:
Guns just don't belong in the hands of civilians. 

Absolutely this. Absolutely this. Shame on those who wish to preserve such horrible, outdated laws. 

My heart goes out to those victims

Now lets wait for Fox News to blame the movie

Bet with gooch_destroyer, he wins if FFX and FFX-2 will be at $40 each for the vita. I win if it dont

Sign up if you want to see God Eater 2 get localized!! https://www.change.org/petitions/shift-inc-bring-god-eater-2-to-north-america-2#share

Now let's wait for someone to blame the Tea Party... oh wait.

There is no correlation between gun laws and safety. California has the strictest gun laws and tons of gun crime, West Virginia has almost no gun laws and is one of the safest states. Gun laws do nothing.

ǝןdɯıs ʇı dǝǝʞ oʇ ǝʞıן ı ʍouʞ noʎ 

Ask me about being an elitist jerk

Time for hype