By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Shooting at Batman Premiere - 12 dead / Your opinions on gun laws

Absolutely horrific.

Can't believe things like this could happen. Feel so sorry for the families who would've been thinking their son, daughter, sister, brother, father, mother, friend whatever had gone to enjoy a movie they had waited YEARS for

Then something like this happens.

I pray they get the hope & courage they need to get through this.

Many people are now suggesting that "Copy cat" acts might be followed by psychos and are asking TDKR to be removed from theatres.

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Around the Network

may u rest in peace...very sad

enrageorange said:

Actually many of my fellow Americans seem to think the situation would have been better had other civilians in the theater brought their guns, despite the fact that there was complete chaos in the theater and the thug wore body armor and threw tear gas. No doubt that had other people started shooting a lot more people would have been killed in the crossfire.

There is absolutely no way guns will ever be outlawed in America. There are too many gunowners, most of whom probably responsibly carry their firearms, who would never vote for someone trying to make a gun ban. What will hopefully eventually be done is better screening of people who wish to purchase guns and bigger penalties for those who illegally sell guns, but I doubt that will happen either. 

Most people who get concealed carry permit have had good training with a hand gun in order to get the permit and most of those people I think would be smart enough to know what to do in that situation in order to save lives.It was said in the chaos the gunman also went up to the balcony level after shooting some on the main level. In the chaos there undoubtedly would have been an oportunity to put a bullet in the back of his head to at least stop him from shooting more.

I do however agree that anyone who wants a concealed carry permit should recieve rigorous training before obtaining a license.

Still strict gun laws will not stop serious killers. And will just make it more difficult for law abiding citizens to defend themselves.

xKakashi209x said:
Wow that is just sad. People who get caught with guns and no permit should get 20 years in prison and second offense just death penalty. They need to start making penalties more longer to reduce all of this violence and crime. There should be more death penalties in the USA and go with the non expensive route with a bullet to the head = /

Death penalty for having a gun with no license even if they didn't commit a violent crime? Don't you think that would be a bit excessive for simply not having a license?

Allfreedom99 said:

Most people who get concealed carry permit have had good training with a hand gun in order to get the permit and most of those people I think would be smart enough to know what to do in that situation in order to save lives.It was said in the chaos the gunman also went up to the balcony level after shooting some on the main level. In the chaos there undoubtedly would have been an oportunity to put a bullet in the back of his head to at least stop him from shooting more.

I do however agree that anyone who wants a concealed carry permit should recieve rigorous training before obtaining a license.

Still strict gun laws will not stop serious killers. And will just make it more difficult for law abiding citizens to defend themselves.

I don't think any amount of training with a gun will allow someone to properly comprehend what is going on in a situation like this unless he has actual experience in life or death situations. While it is true in certain situations a gun owner could save the day, this is not one of them. Unless the gun owner is a very experienced police officer or soldier, who has been in combat situations, there is almost no way he would have been able to keep his cool, and patiently wait for an opportunity to kill the man. He would either ran away or start shooting at the man immediately, not knowing he had body armor and being in a dark room full of tear gas.

Regardless hopefully this tragedy is not something that crazy people decide to copy.

Around the Network
enrageorange said:

don't think any amount of training with a gun will allow someone to properly comprehend what is going on in a situation like this unless he has actual experience in life or death situations. While it is true in certain situations a gun owner could save the day, this is not one of them. Unless the gun owner is a very experienced police officer or soldier, who has been in combat situations, there is almost no way he would have been able to keep his cool, and patiently wait for an opportunity to kill the man. He would either ran away or start shooting at the man immediately, not knowing he had body armor and being in a dark room full of tear gas.

Regardless hopefully this tragedy is not something that crazy people decide to copy.

While true that would be a severly nerve racking and horrific event to experience I still think giving citizens more ability to defend themselves would help in most circumstances. Granted this man had a bullet proof vest, gas and it was a dark room, but chances are there was probably either an off duty cop, or military/x military individual in the crowd that would likely had proper training in that situation that could have potentially saved lives.

I think allowing concealed weapons would still be worth it even in a risky situation like that if it had the potential to save more lives and stop the killer. I will always err on the side of giving more opportunity to allow law abiding citizens to defend themselves. But I do however agree that having a concealed carry permit should require extensive training.

And as you of course I also hope this does not attract other mentally unstable people to copy this event.

that's just so messed up. My heart goes out to all the victims.

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

radishhead said:

http://www.kctv5.com/story/19071381/shooting-at-theater-during-batman-premiere-in-colorado

I just turned on the news and I saw this incident - apparently it's the worst in the USA since a school shooting many years ago (I think), so it's extremely saddening.

Aside from just reporting the story however (which I assume American users know about already), I wondered what your opinions were regarding gun laws. It's impossible to deny that the chances of such a tragedy happening would be reduced if ownership of a gun is illegal without a license (assuming these licenses were very difficult to get, and wouldn't allow a civilian to carry one in public). Is the idea of possessing a gun an outdated idea, or is it still significant in the modern world?

Doesn't change the fact he could have done a thousand other things to kill them. Or purchased the gun illegally. We don't know if he owned firearms legally, or illegally.

You magically assume evil people won't be evil if they can't own a gun. That isn't the case. American crime rates have steaidly been decreasing for the past 20 years, despite the fact that gun ownership is at an all-time high.

Furthermore, the availability of carry concealed weapons have done a lot to prevent these types of shootings, or at least mitigate the damage. In the shooting of Gabrielle Giffords, it wasn't a cop that aprehended the suspect, but gun owner with a legal carry permit.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

He was asked "Why would you do such a horrible thing?" to which he replied "I'm a Spider-Man fan"

I trust no one, not even myself.

mrstickball said:
radishhead said:

http://www.kctv5.com/story/19071381/shooting-at-theater-during-batman-premiere-in-colorado

I just turned on the news and I saw this incident - apparently it's the worst in the USA since a school shooting many years ago (I think), so it's extremely saddening.

Aside from just reporting the story however (which I assume American users know about already), I wondered what your opinions were regarding gun laws. It's impossible to deny that the chances of such a tragedy happening would be reduced if ownership of a gun is illegal without a license (assuming these licenses were very difficult to get, and wouldn't allow a civilian to carry one in public). Is the idea of possessing a gun an outdated idea, or is it still significant in the modern world?

Doesn't change the fact he could have done a thousand other things to kill them. Or purchased the gun illegally. We don't know if he owned firearms legally, or illegally.

You magically assume evil people won't be evil if they can't own a gun. That isn't the case. American crime rates have steaidly been decreasing for the past 20 years, despite the fact that gun ownership is at an all-time high.

Furthermore, the availability of carry concealed weapons have done a lot to prevent these types of shootings, or at least mitigate the damage. In the shooting of Gabrielle Giffords, it wasn't a cop that aprehended the suspect, but gun owner with a legal carry permit.

Gun crimes in the UK are almost unheard of - when it happens, it's serious gangs aiming to rob diamond/jewelery shops or something, not just some random guy with a rifle. But I guess you're right in that gun ownership in America has gone past the level of just being able to ban them now, too many people own them, so it's safer to own them than to not

Click this button, you know you want to!  [Subscribe]

Watch me on YouTube!

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheRadishBros

~~~~ Mario Kart 8 drove far past my expectations! Never again will I doubt the wheels of a Monster Franchise! :0 ~~~~