By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo: next gen is about “improving gaming experience” “wonderful graphics won’t help”

freebs2 said:
Andrespetmonkey said:

It's a big part of the experience and the poor visuals on the Wii compared to PS360 turned away a lot of core gamers.

I don't agree what turned away core gamers from Wii wasn't poor visuals, it was just poor 3rd party support, caused by Wii's unablity to run the same engines and the same gaming assets used for 360/Ps3. So in the end the cause is still underpowered hardware, but the reason was not mainly visuals.

Hardcore gamers love also bad looking games, like GTA on Ps2. I mean, i liked and I used to play GTA too, but in terms of visuals it was ugly.

Agreed.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network
UnitSmiley said:

I don't understand why Nintendo can't have both great graphics and innovative gameplay? It's not like by making your console more powerful you force all dev teams to live under the mentality - "All gameplay must now be stale and unimaginative". I love my 3DS but I feel the 3D part is just gimiky. I would have rather they decided not to include the 3D at all and instead focused that attention on making the system more powerful with better battery life/with more features.

I hope the WiiU does well and i'm excited to get one, but I hope after the novelty of the tablet controller wears off (hoping it doesn't, but ya never know) I won't be sitting there wishing "Wow I wish they would have just made more powerful hardware instead"

Fixed.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

Jay520 said:
I don't believe that people really require for innovation to be pleased. So many of the biggest games this generation are simply re-skinned and technologically improved versions of games from years ago. Be it Mario or Call of Duty, consumers are more than ecstatic to play a new installments in those series, even if they have been playing the franchise for plenty of years already. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to downplay innovation as an insignificant factor. It can be important sometimes. My point is innovation is not required, and sometimes not even requested, by consumers. The consumer loves same old experiences, oftentimes more than innovation. In fact, I'm surprised Nintendo is saying this as they have benefited from this consumer mentality for over a decade.

You have a point here. Most existing gamers like the experiences they already had and want to reiterate them. The very successful NSMB has a proved gameplay. Same with Mario Kart or similar successful games. But you need good quality: level-design, puzzles, boss-fights etc. NSMB wouldn't work, if the levels would be uninteresting. Or also, if they are basically the same level-design in different games. A game-creator has to work on this features.

That doesn't mean innovation isn't important. It is - for the game-compynies, not for already existing gamers. Existing gamers are happy with experiences they already know. But the companies want to expand, they want to attract new gamers. That's what innovative games are for. And the classic gamers might like them too sometimes.

Jay520 said:

I do agree with him about graphics though. I do not believe we will see a huge jump in the graphical standard next generation. Of course, this is just my own prediction of the future. I think as long as graphics look clean, consumers won't be so caring about the improvements. I agree with the user above whom said we will be seeing diminished returns on graphics. I know when I see PC games with top notch graphics, I don't really care much. Yeah, it does look very realistic, but that doesn't make current generation games unbearable for me. In fact, it doesn't affect gameplay at all for me. It's because current gen games reached the point where they look clean, more than clean. And any graphical prowess higher than this point is where I believe you start seeing diminishing returns. 

Agreed.

Jay520 said:

Also, the image in the OP really shows how ugly the Gamecube was. Every other console had one dimension that was small to make it have a rectangular surface. But not the Gamecube, that had to be shaped like a cube. What the Hell was Nintendo thinking? Nobody wants a ugly ass cube in their living room. If a company tried to released a cube-shaped console now, consumers would mock them into oblivion. You know what...I'm going to make an assessment, and you can quote me on this. The reason the Gamecube sold so little is because of its shape. If it wasn't shaped like a cube, it would have sold double, maybe triple, as many units as it actually did.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ouya

"Now, to sit and watch them win." LOL, what?

Aielyn said:
Perry.F.Caravello said:
more nintendo damage control pr... just release the specs, all of them. lol

Nintendo never releases specs, for ANY of their consoles or handhelds. There are two ways that we learn the specs for their systems - developers leaking the information, and hardware gurus taking the system apart and investigating it. They only ever give the information that is relevant to either gamers or investors. That means they'll tell you the maker of the GPU (relevant to the investor), but not the power of it. And they'll tell you all of the methods of control, but they won't tell you the resolution that the gyroscope is capable of.

Why? Because it's not relevant to anybody except the developers. So they're the only ones that learn this information.

This "PR" isn't damage control, it's Nintendo explaining the same reasoning that they've always applied - if you look back at any time in the past that they've been asked for specs of a system, you'll find them using exactly the same argument for why they won't provide them - it's all about the gameplay, and gameplay trumps graphics, but the graphical quality will be more than sufficient. See, look at all the great games coming?

lulz, you're just making shit up

http://www.rpgamer.com/news/Q3-2000/082500a.html

Around the Network
room414 said:
lulz, you're just making shit up

http://www.rpgamer.com/news/Q3-2000/082500a.html

It's not that I was making it up, it's that Nintendo clearly departed from their normal behaviour, there. And I suppose it's not all that surprising - I mean, one of the big selling points of the 'Cube over the PS2 was meant to be that it was more powerful. I think Nintendo learned their lesson after that screwup, and releasing the specs was just another demonstration that they had made a mistake.

sales2099 said:
Kynes said:
sales2099 said:
All I know is that casuals kept Nintendo alive with the Wii.

WiiU looks like its alienating that exact crowd that brought them back from the brink. That just leaves real gamers.......people who like graphics along with great gameplay.

I dont see this going to end well.

Alive? How can you say alive when Nintendo had the best generation in financial terms by a huge mile? I'm sure that they are really glad of the development of this generation.

Ok. Alive and well. 

Point was casuals are directly responsible for Wiis success.

WiiU isnt as easy to grasp to casuals and therefore wont be getting their help next gen. 

I completely agree and thats also why they did new controls and are lauching early, they know this.

I'm still amazed at how so many of you are into the "graphics, graphics, graphics" mindset. I'd rather play a fun game than something that is all about graphics. I don't care about graphics as long as the game is fun to play. Good graphics do not make a good game.

I have a pretty good pc (i7 2600k, GTX 580 SLI) as well as a 360/PS3/Wii and what have I mostly been playing recently? Games on my 3DS and DS. I just bought Zelda: Link's Awakening DX on 3DS VC, because even though it's "only" a Gameboy (color) game, it's still fun.

starcraft: "I and every PS3 fanboy alive are waiting for Versus more than FFXIII.
Me since the games were revealed, the fanboys since E3."

Skeeuk: "playstation 3 is the ultimate in gaming acceleration"

smbu2000 said:
I'm still amazed at how so many of you are into the "graphics, graphics, graphics" mindset. I'd rather play a fun game than something that is all about graphics. I don't care about graphics as long as the game is fun to play. Good graphics do not make a good game.

I have a pretty good pc (i7 2600k, GTX 580 SLI) as well as a 360/PS3/Wii and what have I mostly been playing recently? Games on my 3DS and DS. I just bought Zelda: Link's Awakening DX on 3DS VC, because even though it's "only" a Gameboy (color) game, it's still fun.

I get your point but graphics just adds to it. Why can't it be a graphics king and fun?

Hmm, I don't have problems with graphics... But in my opinion Nintendo is just deteriorating the gaming experience with its "new control schemes". I didn't like the touch screen of the DS. Some minor "games" like Kawashima were well suited but I prefered the games with the regular control scheme. The Wii had its motion controls and I simply hated it. Fortunately you could use a normal classic controller... Now the Wii U will have a tablet controller and I am sure it will be the next control scheme I will not like.

Well, at least Nintendo is not going the online multiplayer way. They still concentrate on giving a good single player experience or couch coop games.