By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo: next gen is about “improving gaming experience” “wonderful graphics won’t help”

NintendoPie said:
Sal.Paradise said:

Haha, there absolutely is. The universally positive response to the (visuals in) the Luminous tech demo goes to show that. Those are real time visuals that look like the CG we have today. I was just watching that CGI Castlevania Lords of Shadow 2 trailer...we're nowhere NEAR that yet. We still have so, so far to go on graphical and physics processing but everybody is so wowed by what we have now or in the near future that they can't get their heads around it. 

Did you not see what I wrote? Many regular consumers (which are most of the people who buy consoles) have seen what we can do now and they won't see a difference next-gen. Maybe you will, maybe I will, but will my brother, will my mom? Will that other person standing next to me at Target? I seriously doubt they would! We are very close. There is only the nitty-gritty from now on that only you or someone else on an Online gaming forum could most likely notice.

Yes. People who play video games will. That's what matters for these games.

The idea that only us enthusiasts on a forum will notice improvements in graphics from now on...Ninpie, I'm going to leave it to time. You're going to be blown away like the rest of us, I'm sure of it. Just enjoy it huh

Around the Network
Sal.Paradise said:

The idea that only us enthusiasts on a forum will notice improvements in graphics from now on...Ninpie, I'm going to leave it to time. You're going to be blown away like the rest of us, I'm sure of it. Just enjoy it huh

No, I seriously can't agree with you Sal. 

The regular ole' consumer won't see those amazing super-tiny-sub-atomic pixels (I don't know what to say there obviously ) that happen when a burst of light flashes across the screen. There are things that can be improved, I know. (Non-graphics wise too.) But really how much farther can you get than what we already have? (Don't answer that question because I know what you'll say!)

crissindahouse said:

it is pretty simple, a game isn't good with bad gameplay, let the graphics be as good as possible, but better graphics for the same game improve the experience. it is a very simple formula. walk through a game with great gameplay and average graphics and you will like it a lot. make the same game with awesome graphics and you will like it even more. as better the graphics as more you will enjoy the world you are playing in.

the difference for me in a game with awesome graphcis or only average graphics is, for the game with average graphics i need 10 hours to play through, the game with awesome graphics need some more hours for me because i really enjoy the world and i will stand still plenty of times just to look at something because it looks so wonderful. if i see average fire in a game, i don't care, if i see the best fire i have ever seen in agame, i will stand there and look at it few minutes just because it looks so unbelievable great.

when i first played uncharted 2 i was wasting hours just to look at the environments. if the game wouldn't have had these graphics i wouldn't have done that. i wouldn't have thought "wow just look at this small mountain village, it is sooo wonderful"

Agreed. Whats funny to me is I said something very similar to this at the start of the current generation and was blasted by Wii lovers for not being a "true" gamer.

NintendoPie said:
Sal.Paradise said:

No, I seriously can't agree with you Sal. 

The regular ole' consumer won't see those amazing super-tiny-sub-atomic pixels (I don't know what to say there obviously ) that happen when a burst of light flashes across the screen. There are things that can be improved, I know. (Non-graphics wise too.) But really how much farther can you get than what we already have? (Don't answer that question because I know what you'll say!)

lol... they sure as hell will. My brother is definitely a "regular ole' consumer" and he was floored when I showed him Tropico 4 and Crysis maxed out on my PC, and we'll be seeing better than that next gen. Keep in mind this is after seeing me play this some of this gen's best looking console games like GOW3 and UC3. SunsetMalachi doesn't play a ton of a games, (he only signed up here cause I practically forced him to lol), he was amazed with how good Batman: AC looked on my PC compared to how it looked on PS3.

I think you're grossly underestimating the regular gamer. 

Andrespetmonkey said:

lol... they sure as hell will. My brother is definitely a "regular ole' consumer" and he was floored when I showed him Tropico 4 and Crysis maxed out on my PC, and we'll be seeing better than that next gen. Keep in mind this is after seeing me play this some of this gen's best looking console games like GOW3 and UC3. SunsetMalachi doesn't play a ton of a games, (he only signed up here cause I practically forced him to lol), he was amazed with how good Batman: AC looked on my PC compared to how it looked on PS3.

I'm done arguing my point. It stands as it is. I don't think there can be much more* done next-gen to make a huge difference with what we can do now.

(Except with HandHelds. But that would be awhile from now.)

* I'm not saying nothing can be done, now.

EDIT: My point is that graphics are still important (I said that in a post before) but gameplay can and will make or break a game next-gen. That's what will be most important, I think.

Around the Network
room414 said:
Aielyn said:
Perry.F.Caravello said:
more nintendo damage control pr... just release the specs, all of them. lol

Nintendo never releases specs, for ANY of their consoles or handhelds. There are two ways that we learn the specs for their systems - developers leaking the information, and hardware gurus taking the system apart and investigating it. They only ever give the information that is relevant to either gamers or investors. That means they'll tell you the maker of the GPU (relevant to the investor), but not the power of it. And they'll tell you all of the methods of control, but they won't tell you the resolution that the gyroscope is capable of.

Why? Because it's not relevant to anybody except the developers. So they're the only ones that learn this information.

This "PR" isn't damage control, it's Nintendo explaining the same reasoning that they've always applied - if you look back at any time in the past that they've been asked for specs of a system, you'll find them using exactly the same argument for why they won't provide them - it's all about the gameplay, and gameplay trumps graphics, but the graphical quality will be more than sufficient. See, look at all the great games coming?

lulz, you're just making shit up

http://www.rpgamer.com/news/Q3-2000/082500a.html

Amen room414

NintendoPie said:
Andrespetmonkey said:

I'm done arguing my point. It stands as it is. I don't think there can be much more* done next-gen to make a huge difference with what we can do now.

@bolded Weak and unfounded, I accept that.

@underlined You are wrong. Not only in my opinion, but objectively speaking you are wrong. There is so much more we can do that isn't even close to being done yet. The limit is photo realism and crossng the uncanny valley, we are probably a decade from the former and decades from the latter.

This is a somewhat harsh reply, so I'll end it with this:

Andrespetmonkey said:
NintendoPie said:
Andrespetmonkey said:

@underlined You are wrong. Not only in my opinion, but objectively speaking you are wrong. There is so much more we can do that isn't even close to being done yet. The limit is photo realism and crossng the uncanny valley, we are probably a decade from the former and decades from the latter.

This is a somewhat harsh reply, so I'll end it with this:

Which I hope you know is not necessary.

But thanks for that picture! :3

NintendoPie said:
Andrespetmonkey said:
NintendoPie said:

@underlined You are wrong. Not only in my opinion, but objectively speaking you are wrong. There is so much more we can do that isn't even close to being done yet. The limit is photo realism and crossng the uncanny valley

Which I hope you know is not necessary.

Why not? 

What is neccessary then?

Would you of said this gens graphics weren't neccessary last gen?

I don't really think wonderful graphics can hurt either...
Come on Ninty you gotta impress me with something or I ain't getting Wii U

Been away for a bit, but sneaking back in.

Gaming on: PS4, PC, 3DS. Got a Switch! Mainly to play Smash