By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo: next gen is about “improving gaming experience” “wonderful graphics won’t help”

"Slightly superior to the PS360" sounds pretty darn good to me to be honest, I understand all the mainstream gamers are all about the graphics, more power and everything, but if its graphics you want then PC its really the way to go.
Now going back to consoles,I support Nintendo's concept because I dont want the next generation to be decided over the "slight" difference on graphics, will Nintendo revolutionize the industry once again? they might not, but at least they are exploring alternatives, Motion gaming might not have been what everyone wanted, but it was a success at least financially and I dont care how much you hate motion gaming and Nintendo but every gamer must accept that games such as Skyward sword, Metroid Prime 3(to name a few) played perfectly.
Besides how important are graphics now-a-days when games like mine craft and Temple run are being downloaded more time than any console franchise can even dream, true they are cheap or free but I really do know people that rather play these games than console games without the price of the mentioned games being a factor.

Around the Network
Andrespetmonkey said:

Because improving how a largely VISUAL medium looks won't improve the experience.

I mean I see his point, gameplay and "innovation" (that word is tossed around way too lightly in this industry) comes first, but when a game looks amazing it improves the experience immensely. It's a big part of the experience and the poor visuals on the Wii compared to PS360 turned away a lot of core gamers.

He's not saying that graphics don't do anything to the "experience." He's saying, in a way, that in conjuction with graphics, gameplay should prove to be a remaining factor that'll make or break a game.

Sal.Paradise said:

This is exactly what I would have said 10 years ago though. People forget about the march of progress so easily. I remember seeing old usenet posts about diminishing returns in the early Dreamcast era - how much further could we possibly improve graphics from upcoming 128 bit beasts! How can we expect developers to create games on PS2/GC/Xbox hardware, it's too powerful and complex!

It's the same spiel every generation, difference is now Nintendo have a weaker machine to sell, so they'll be saying it too, not just forum posters. 

But look at the graphics we have now, Sal. There seriously isn't a lot more we can do to them. 

You can get down to the nitty-gritty but in the eyes of the consumer there won't be much difference between this:

and what can already be seen in FFXIII/2.

NintendoPie said:
Andrespetmonkey said:

Because improving how a largely VISUAL medium looks won't improve the experience.

I mean I see his point, gameplay and "innovation" (that word is tossed around way too lightly in this industry) comes first, but when a game looks amazing it improves the experience immensely. It's a big part of the experience and the poor visuals on the Wii compared to PS360 turned away a lot of core gamers.

He's not saying that graphics don't do anything to the "experience." He's saying, in a way, that in conjuction with graphics, gameplay should prove to be a remaining factor that'll make or break a game.

Yep, I've written about that in here somewhere.The title is misleading, and I only skimmed through the text :S

I still think there's a good chance he could have it all wrong when it comes to hardware. Does he want third party support? He better hope Microsoft and Sony don't go all out with Orbis and Durango. The Wii U will have first party sure, but it won't have the mass-appeal of the Wii and could be another N64/GC, which is fine, but only that. Also, the Wii U better be very accessible for indie/small devs! If I get one I feel like along with Nintendo's own studios, indie devs will be the ones that really take advantage of the pad.

Andrespetmonkey said:

Yep, I've written about that in here somewhere.The title is misleading, and I only skimmed through the text :S

I still think there's a good chance he could have it all wrong when it comes to hardware. Does he want third party support? He better hope Microsoft and Sony don't go all out with Orbis and Durango. The Wii U will have first party sure, but it won't have the mass-appeal of the Wii and could be another N64/GC, which is fine, but only that. Also, the Wii U better be very accessible for indie/small devs! If I get one I feel like along with Nintendo's own studios, indie devs will be the ones that really take advantage of the pad.

That's our classic lazy-devs for you!

Around the Network
NintendoPie said:
Andrespetmonkey said:

That's our classic lazy-devs for you!

Shut up ninpie. That comment is so annoying.

Andrespetmonkey said:

Shut up ninpie. That comment is so annoying.

How is it annoying? It's the truth.

Also: "Wonderful graphics won't hurt"

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

NintendoPie said:
Sal.Paradise said:

This is exactly what I would have said 10 years ago though. People forget about the march of progress so easily. I remember seeing old usenet posts about diminishing returns in the early Dreamcast era - how much further could we possibly improve graphics from upcoming 128 bit beasts! How can we expect developers to create games on PS2/GC/Xbox hardware, it's too powerful and complex!

It's the same spiel every generation, difference is now Nintendo have a weaker machine to sell, so they'll be saying it too, not just forum posters. 

But look at the graphics we have now, Sal. There seriously isn't a lot more we can do to them. 

You can get down to the nitty-gritty but in the eyes of the consumer there won't be much difference between this:

and what can already be seen in FFXIII/2.

Haha, there absolutely is. The universally positive response to the (visuals in) the Luminous tech demo goes to show that. Those are real time visuals that look like the CG we have today. I was just watching that CGI Castlevania Lords of Shadow 2 trailer...we're nowhere NEAR that yet. We still have so, so far to go on graphical and physics processing but everybody is so wowed by what we have now or in the near future that they can't get their heads around it. 

Sal.Paradise said:

Haha, there absolutely is. The universally positive response to the (visuals in) the Luminous tech demo goes to show that. Those are real time visuals that look like the CG we have today. I was just watching that CGI Castlevania Lords of Shadow 2 trailer...we're nowhere NEAR that yet. We still have so, so far to go on graphical and physics processing but everybody is so wowed by what we have now or in the near future that they can't get their heads around it. 

Did you not see what I wrote? Many regular consumers (which are most of the people who buy consoles) have seen what we can do now and they won't see a difference next-gen. Maybe you will, maybe I will, but will my brother, will my mom? Will that other person standing next to me at Target? I seriously doubt they would! We are very close. There is only the nitty-gritty from now on that only you or someone else on an Online gaming forum could most likely notice.