By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PC Gaming up 230%, Console down 28% (PC Gaming Comeback!)

Are you a PC Gamer or Console Gamer

PC 82 24.40%

Console 138 41.07%

50/50 116 34.52%

Total:336
homer said:

What, your mac isn't working as a gaming pc? Well color me surprised. -_-

Also, gaming consoles being made for gaming? Woah, you keep catching me off balance. I would have never thought of that.

I agree with you though. I don;t have the patience or finesse to run high level software on my pc nor do i have the will power to. That being said, the pc market seems to be more than able to differentiate itself from the consoles in such a way that it will be able to thrive. Their games seem to form actual communities that manage to thrive for an extended period that console online game bases seem almost incapable of doing. (I'll admit it isn't a fair statement since the advent of competant console online gaming is fairly new in comparison to pc games)

I never said that I thought it couldn't do good on it's own, I just said I didn't like it.

@Mac comment I used to have a PC so I know what it's like to have to deal with PC Games.

Around the Network
Mr Puggsly said:
TheShape31 said:
sega4life said:
PullusPardus said:
sega4life said:

Shit- I just put this SONY VAIO VGP in my living room this week....

what is that ? , a media server or a full prebuilt desktop computer?

It's everything

Is this post supposed to be a joke?  That PC is old as piss, and dated as sh*t.  My white Macbook is more powerful that that turd, and has all the multimedia capabilities as well.  So why in the world would you post THAT thing in order to stick up for PC gaming?

Good to know your Macbook is more powerful than a computer from 2005.

You clearly missed his point entirely by boasting about your modern machine.

It's ok, I think he's upset that he's that other guy that owns a white macbook....

Like stated above, I was just explaining that Multimedia and PC's in now more accessible in the living room, like Google/Apple tv.

Also, the good point of a PC is the upgrade potential, that will be in the next few weeks.

PS4 Preordered - 06/11/2013 @09:30am

XBox One Preordered - 06/19/2013 @07:57pm

"I don't trust #XboxOne & #Kinect 2.0, it's always connected" as you tweet from your smartphone - irony 0_o

pezus said:

Obviously. Macs are not made for gaming, so that is why it can't handle the games

That's really why I bought a Mac. 

No point in my PC if I don't use it as a gaming thingie so I just got a Mac.

NintendoPie said:
pezus said:

Obviously. Macs are not made for gaming, so that is why it can't handle the games

That's really why I bought a Mac. 

No point in my PC if I don't use it as a gaming thingie so I just got a Mac.

and the point to buy a mac as little kid instead of a pc? to listen to music and surf on the internet? pie, you could have used a pc for that as well... i don't really see why a kid needs a mac. not because of the price but as example for school, isn't a pc much better with the programs you have to use there? no clue how school works nowadays but over 10 years ago when i was at school i had to use a lot of pcs and since you also need a pc in most jobs it's probably better to use that all the time. i understand if someone, let's say a designer, prefers a mac for some apple programs or so but as kid you don't use these programs made for adults.

crissindahouse said:

and the point to buy a mac as little kid instead of a pc? to listen to music and surf on the internet? pie, you could have used a pc for that as well... i don't really see why a kid needs a mac. not because of the price but as example for school, isn't a pc much better with the programs you have to use there? no clue how school works nowadays but over 10 years ago when i was at school i had to use a lot of pcs and since you also need a pc in most jobs it's probably better to use that all the time. i understand if someone, let's say a designer, prefers a mac for some apple programs or so but as kid you don't use these programs made for adults.

I got my Mac because it works better for the stuff I need it to do. I also got one because I was tired of Windows 7.

But this thread is not about Mac Vs. PC.

Around the Network
NintendoPie said:
crissindahouse said:

I got my Mac because it works better for the stuff I need it to do. I also got one because I was tired of Windows 7.

sure it's not about mac vs. pc as "what is better in general". like i already said i understand that some people have a better usage for a mac in their job but you said you listen to music and surf on the internet with your mac, that's not really a reason to prefer a mac above a pc if you are at school and could use pc skills for more than just surfing. i believe i had 4 hours informatics at school per week and it was pretty helpful to have exactly he same programs at home to learn with. but yeah, maybe you don't need to learn to handle all the pc stuff i had to.

crissindahouse said:
NintendoPie said:
crissindahouse said:

sure it's not about mac vs. pc as "what is better in general". like i already said i understand that some people have a better usage for a mac in their job but you said you listen to music and surf on the internet with your mac, that's not really a reason to prefer a mac above a pc if you are at school and could use pc skills for more than just surfing. i believe i had 4 hours informatics at school and it was pretty helpful to have exactly he same programs at home to learn with. but yeah, maybe you don't need to learn to handle all the pc stuff i had to.

I would like to think that American schools would require you to know more about programs and computers, but I don't think they do. I'm pretty sure you just need to know how to print a paper and maybe occasionally a graph or two. Why someone would pay over 1500 for that I don't know. Cetainly don't need a personal laptop age to do school work assuming the household has a desktop.

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." -My good friend Mark Aurelius

sega4life said:
Mr Puggsly said:
TheShape31 said:
sega4life said:
PullusPardus said:
sega4life said:

Shit- I just put this SONY VAIO VGP in my living room this week....

what is that ? , a media server or a full prebuilt desktop computer?

It's everything

Is this post supposed to be a joke?  That PC is old as piss, and dated as sh*t.  My white Macbook is more powerful that that turd, and has all the multimedia capabilities as well.  So why in the world would you post THAT thing in order to stick up for PC gaming?

Good to know your Macbook is more powerful than a computer from 2005.

You clearly missed his point entirely by boasting about your modern machine.

It's ok, I think he's upset that he's that other guy that owns a white macbook....

Like stated above, I was just explaining that Multimedia and PC's in now more accessible in the living room, like Google/Apple tv.

Also, the good point of a PC is the upgrade potential, that will be in the next few weeks.

@Mr Puggsly + sega4life

I wasn't boasting, quite the opposite in fact.  I clearly have a weak machine, but that thing from a few years earlier was very weak even for its time.  Trying to brag that such a huge box with 'multimedia capabilities' is living room friendly is silly.   So many more HTPCs (even some real nice PC laptops) can do at least as much, and at the same and cost less (from that time period or otherwise).  And UPGRADE POTENTIAL?  That thing maxes out at 2GB 533Hz RAM... and it retailed for $2k.  Certain rigs, like that one, were made to look better than others and cost much more.  I think you both miss the point of what an appealing HTPC really looks like, and what better deals there are out there.  You may continue trying to argue how my opinion is without merit, but you fail to make a point of how that particular machine fits into this thread to any effective degree.  When "what the h*ll is that thing?" comes up right away, maybe its because that machine isn't a great example of the point you're trying to make.

SvennoJ said:
bouzane said:
SvennoJ said:
I go back to pc gaming now and then, then get fed up with it again and put on a console game that just works without always on drm, server lag, annoying extra layers like gfwl and other bullshit.

Console games can have all of these problems. All you have to do is research the game before you purchase it. Personally, I have no problems with GOG and Steam with the exception of a handful of Ubisoft games.

I never had any problems with console games, granted I don't play online much.

I rather buy my games in a store, hard copies of pc games are becoming an endangered species. Waiting for hours to download a game while eating up my bandwidth limit sucks.
And the hard copies still take longer to install then the longest ps3 install. Then there are different codes to enter before you are allowed to play, possibly make an account first or link it to Steam or Origin etc, make sure drivers are up to date, tweak the settings over and over to get it running smoothly, possibly resort to a new beta driver after searching the forums, or resort to editting ini files.
And after all that get annoyed that the interface has been optimized for controller use instead of a mouse.

Sure there are many advantages too, but console games are simple insert and play, bar a few automatic patches (which you can ignore if you don't want to play online anyway)

If you want to play indie games or older games from gog then sure pc is where it's at, never had any problem with gog. But if you don't need the best possible graphics and don't care about mods it's far easier to stick to consoles for full new games.

I don't know what you've been playing but the vast majority of PC games are easy to install and play on a modern system. It takes longer to install a PC game? It also happens to load faster every time I launch it thereafter. Enter a single code to install the game? No biggie, takes less than a minute. Link a game to Steam or Origin? Again, takes seconds and has perks. I update my drivers a couple times a year and that's both easy and sufficient. Tweaking settings, using beta drivers, editing ini files? I've had to do the first a couple dozen times, again no big deal. I've never needed a beta driver and I've had to edit ini files maybe three or four times in my life. It seems that despite the fact that I've played hundreds of PC games I've had less problems then you. What type of setup could possibly cause so much trouble?

bouzane said:
SvennoJ said:
bouzane said:
SvennoJ said:
I go back to pc gaming now and then, then get fed up with it again and put on a console game that just works without always on drm, server lag, annoying extra layers like gfwl and other bullshit.

Console games can have all of these problems. All you have to do is research the game before you purchase it. Personally, I have no problems with GOG and Steam with the exception of a handful of Ubisoft games.

I never had any problems with console games, granted I don't play online much.

I rather buy my games in a store, hard copies of pc games are becoming an endangered species. Waiting for hours to download a game while eating up my bandwidth limit sucks.
And the hard copies still take longer to install then the longest ps3 install. Then there are different codes to enter before you are allowed to play, possibly make an account first or link it to Steam or Origin etc, make sure drivers are up to date, tweak the settings over and over to get it running smoothly, possibly resort to a new beta driver after searching the forums, or resort to editting ini files.
And after all that get annoyed that the interface has been optimized for controller use instead of a mouse.

Sure there are many advantages too, but console games are simple insert and play, bar a few automatic patches (which you can ignore if you don't want to play online anyway)

If you want to play indie games or older games from gog then sure pc is where it's at, never had any problem with gog. But if you don't need the best possible graphics and don't care about mods it's far easier to stick to consoles for full new games.

I don't know what you've been playing but the vast majority of PC games are easy to install and play on a modern system. It takes longer to install a PC game? It also happens to load faster every time I launch it thereafter. Enter a single code to install the game? No biggie, takes less than a minute. Link a game to Steam or Origin? Again, takes seconds and has perks. I update my drivers a couple times a year and that's both easy and sufficient. Tweaking settings, using beta drivers, editing ini files? I've had to do the first a couple dozen times, again no big deal. I've never needed a beta driver and I've had to edit ini files maybe three or four times in my life. It seems that despite the fact that I've played hundreds of PC games I've had less problems then you. What type of setup could possibly cause so much trouble?

Stop pretending PC gaming isn't a constant hassle. You claim to have played hundreds of PC games and yet deny there's a lot of hassle, frustration and time spent on solving all kinds of problems. I'm a smart guy and I've been playing on PC since 1995, I know exactly how it is. Some problems are even so complicated that a person with average IQ isn't able to solve them. I've been forced to help my friends get their games to work time and time again.

The OS, games, drivers and patches have become much more stable and compatible over the years but a PC gamer still has to spend significant time solving problems. Now we're all different, many PC gamers I know actually like to solve problems and mess around with settings and hardware rather than actually play the games, but if you're a plug & play person and want to experience lots of games, then PC gaming will frustrate you a lot.