By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PC Gaming up 230%, Console down 28% (PC Gaming Comeback!)

Are you a PC Gamer or Console Gamer

PC 82 24.40%

Console 138 41.07%

50/50 116 34.52%

Total:336

@Slimebeast

PC gaming isn't a constant hassle unless we've changed the definition of constant. I don't like solving problems and that's why I'm glad that I encounter issues while trying to get games running on my PC maybe 5% of the time (if that often).

Around the Network
Slimebeast said:

Stop pretending PC gaming isn't a constant hassle. You claim to have played hundreds of PC games and yet deny there's a lot of hassle, frustration and time spent on solving all kinds of problems. I'm a smart guy and I've been playing on PC since 1995, I know exactly how it is. Some problems are even so complicated that a person with average IQ isn't able to solve them. I've been forced to help my friends get their games to work time and time again.

The OS, games, drivers and patches have become much more stable over the years but a PC gamer still has to spend significant time solving problems. Now we're all different, many PC gamers I know actually like to solve problems and mess around with settings and hardware rather than actually playing the games, but if you're a plug & play person and want to experience lots of games, then PC gaming will frustrate you a lot.

since i "restarted" to play on pc last year, i had exatly 0 problems. so no, it isn't a constant hassle. maybe you have a game or two with stupid problems but i didn't have any of them yet and i don't believe i would have a problem to solve them.

bouzane said:
@Slimebeast

PC gaming isn't a constant hassle unless we've changed the definition of constant. I don't like solving problems and that's why I'm glad that I encounter issues while trying to get games running on my PC maybe 5% of the time (if that often).

Good for you.

Averaged over the 17 years I've been playing it's more than 50% of the time (although I have to admit that some of this has to do with pirated games).

I did notice a trend since around 2006 where Windows, drivers, patches and the games themselves started to become increasingly more stable. So I guess there is hope (I still play on XP and in the last two years I haven't installed any new PC game and I'm also not much on Steam, so I admit I'm not perfectly up to date with the stability issues).

I plan to buy a new rig soon and it would make me very happy to realize that stuff in fact has become much smoother since the last time I built and installed a PC and filled it with games.

Slimebeast said:
bouzane said:
@Slimebeast

Good for you.

Averaged over the 17 years I've been playing it's more than 50% of the time (although I have to admit that some of this has to do with pirated games).

I did notice a trend since around 2006 where Windows, drivers, patches and the games themselves started to become increasingly more stable. So I guess there is hope (I still play on XP and in the last two years I haven't installed any new PC game and I'm also not much on Steam, so I admit I'm not perfectly up to date with the stability issues).

I plan to buy a new rig soon and it would make me very happy to realize that stuff in fact has become much smoother since the last time I built and installed a PC and filled it with games.

Things have improved in recent years indeed. Many of the issues cited in this thread are no longer frequently encountered. I'm running Windows 7 on a system I built about 18 months ago and the only problem I had was Half-Life 2 ironically. Personally, pirated games have provided far more issues than purchased games hence why I don't pirate anymore. When was the last time you built a gaming rig?

zero129 said:
AndrewWK said:
I love my PC but not all games are suited for it. Sports Games, Beat em ups and Hack´n Slash games just don´t work on PC. But it is very nice to see PC coming back even if it is just for a short time, until the next generation of console arrives and gives us equal Power.

How do they not work?, you do know you can use joypads on PC's right?.

I own SFxT and SSF4A for PC and have no trouble playing them games with my 360 joypad.

I never said it does not work, I just said It is not suited for it. Or what do you think why SFXT is the only Beat em up for the PC. And if you consider the PC sales of Devil May Cry NBA Fifa, people majorly share my opinion. Despite this there are many games better suited for PC then for consoles, FPS´s, TPS´s and RPGs imo.

Around the Network
bouzane said:
Slimebeast said:
bouzane said:
@Slimebeast

Good for you.

Things have improved in recent years indeed. Many of the issues cited in this thread are no longer frequently encountered. I'm running Windows 7 on a system I built about 18 months ago and the only problem I had was Half-Life 2 ironically. Personally, pirated games have provided far more issues than purchased games hence why I don't pirate anymore. When was the last time you built a gaming rig?

I built my last rig in late 2008 and at that time the building part was almost as tricky as it's always been but the SW installing part was significantly smoother than the last time (2006). Now just to get a rig up and running with the basics installed always takes me about half a day and I am fine with that. But then when new issues endlessly pop up just because you updated your GPU drivers or torrented a new game you get tired eventually.

TheShape31 said:
sega4life said:
Mr Puggsly said:
TheShape31 said:
sega4life said:
PullusPardus said:
sega4life said:

Shit- I just put this SONY VAIO VGP in my living room this week....

what is that ? , a media server or a full prebuilt desktop computer?

It's everything

Is this post supposed to be a joke?  That PC is old as piss, and dated as sh*t.  My white Macbook is more powerful that that turd, and has all the multimedia capabilities as well.  So why in the world would you post THAT thing in order to stick up for PC gaming?

Good to know your Macbook is more powerful than a computer from 2005.

You clearly missed his point entirely by boasting about your modern machine.

It's ok, I think he's upset that he's that other guy that owns a white macbook....

Like stated above, I was just explaining that Multimedia and PC's in now more accessible in the living room, like Google/Apple tv.

Also, the good point of a PC is the upgrade potential, that will be in the next few weeks.

@Mr Puggsly + sega4life

I wasn't boasting, quite the opposite in fact.  I clearly have a weak machine, but that thing from a few years earlier was very weak even for its time.  Trying to brag that such a huge box with 'multimedia capabilities' is living room friendly is silly.   So many more HTPCs (even some real nice PC laptops) can do at least as much, and at the same and cost less (from that time period or otherwise).  And UPGRADE POTENTIAL?  That thing maxes out at 2GB 533Hz RAM... and it retailed for $2k.  Certain rigs, like that one, were made to look better than others and cost much more.  I think you both miss the point of what an appealing HTPC really looks like, and what better deals there are out there.  You may continue trying to argue how my opinion is without merit, but you fail to make a point of how that particular machine fits into this thread to any effective degree.  When "what the h*ll is that thing?" comes up right away, maybe its because that machine isn't a great example of the point you're trying to make.

lol it's got a Intel 945P inside, I can go 4gigs if I want, and 1b HD for BR.  I'm not shooting for BF3 gameplay, but rather more speed/storage for my entertainment purposes.

And who gives a shit what this thing cost years ago, I paid nothing for a good PC/200 Disc dvd changer with HDMI output.

If you read who and why I quoted from in the beginning, you would see that it made perfect sense as to why I posted it.

If you don't mind you can go post in a thread that makes more sense to you.

PS4 Preordered - 06/11/2013 @09:30am

XBox One Preordered - 06/19/2013 @07:57pm

"I don't trust #XboxOne & #Kinect 2.0, it's always connected" as you tweet from your smartphone - irony 0_o

bouzane said:

I don't know what you've been playing but the vast majority of PC games are easy to install and play on a modern system. It takes longer to install a PC game? It also happens to load faster every time I launch it thereafter. Enter a single code to install the game? No biggie, takes less than a minute. Link a game to Steam or Origin? Again, takes seconds and has perks. I update my drivers a couple times a year and that's both easy and sufficient. Tweaking settings, using beta drivers, editing ini files? I've had to do the first a couple dozen times, again no big deal. I've never needed a beta driver and I've had to edit ini files maybe three or four times in my life. It seems that despite the fact that I've played hundreds of PC games I've had less problems then you. What type of setup could possibly cause so much trouble?

Let's see. Last year I played Portal 2, went perfect. Dear Esther, perfect.
The witcher 2, Multiple disc install, 4 codes to enter of which the dlc codes did not work whatever I tried. I had to install a beta nvidea driver (recommended by the game website) to get it to run properly. Performance varied wildly throughout the game necessitating is frequent trips back to the config screen. Sound kept glitching, updated drivers didn't help, only restarting the game when it happened did.
Deus Ex Hr, again a long install and frequent trips to the settings. Mouse lag made turning difficult which could only be fixed by turning of v-sync and ugly screen tear.
To the moon and Book of unwritten tales no problem again except for yet another 2 accounts and passwords to get the games.
I wanted to get Skyrim on pc but they only ordered 4 copies and were sold out, annoying.

And there are other inconveniences. When I want to play a game I move my pc from the desk to the big screen. Except windows 7 always has some updates to finish installing before turning off, then configuring windows again when booting up.
I guess if I would play games on it daily the ratio of fun vs annoyance would be different.

zero129 said:

Really?? so you never said "Sports Games, Beat em ups and Hack´n Slash games just don´t work on PC"? .

And no SFxT and ssf4 is not the only beat em ups for PC as the has been more released, but i was just using that as an example to show you they work. And IMO thanks to emulation i think PC is the ultimate Fighting game box (Hell when you include emulation imo PC is the ultimate gaming box)

And no i wouldnt use sales to show if a game works or not on the PC, as the only thing that shows is that not many PC players are interested in DMC, and as for Fifa im sure why alot of people buy that game, same with NBA on consoles is cos thats where most of there friends are. It still says nothing about if the game works on PC or not, as everyone of them games works and looks better on PC then console. Same with any multi plat game..

This argument is as good as mine. Well I have to admit, in case of sports games people buy them mostly on console because of the local Multiplayer.

And that is because of Steam. If digital game trades begin, PC gaming will go to hell again, because less and less publishers will support it.