By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PC Gaming up 230%, Console down 28% (PC Gaming Comeback!)

Are you a PC Gamer or Console Gamer

PC 82 24.40%

Console 138 41.07%

50/50 116 34.52%

Total:336
sega4life said:
Gilgamesh said:
It's not exactly the greatest time to compare when the 7th gen is basically ending and there's no new 8th gen consoles out except for handhelds...

I think a large part has to do with HDTV's and people finally realizing they can hook up their PC's to their TV finally without special equipment.

Now you don't even need DVI, but rather just HDMI.

People see Google/Apple-TV and and just say F-it, just give me a PC with Media Center and I'll do everything in he living room.

Shit- I just put this SONY VAIO VGP in my living room this week....

what is that ? , a media server or a full prebuilt desktop computer?

Around the Network
sega4life said:

Times could be changing again, however. According to industry analyst NPD Group, sales of video-game hardware -- a.k.a consoles -- software and even accessories fell for a sixth consecutive month in May, tumbling 28% from a year earlier to $517 million. And with the release of Blizzard's Diablo III, May also saw the first time since July 2010 that the top-selling game was a PC-only title. That boosted PC video games sales up year-over-year to 230% or $80 million.

While the top-selling games are now dominated by multi platform titles available for the consoles and PC, the shift has been increasingly away from the PC completely.

The PC gaming market is over 6 times smaller than the console market?  Wow, I didn't realize it got to THIS point.

F**k no! I like console gaming for what it is, the gaming community online sucks in comparison. I have a high-end PC, and I prefer console gaming as it's cheat free (virtually), and other pro's that a closed system has. For these reasons, I believe console gaming will stay on top. It's just so well controlled compared to PC gaming. With a console, you really feel like you're in a community, while on PC, you don't. It's much more scattered. Just my views as I've been gaming on the PC for many years, and even competitive on it.

I think consoles only have a generation or 2 left in them same with high-end gaming PCs. Gaming will eventually go streaming on a subscription or pay per hour basis. Either through reasonably basic PCs or through your HDTV with built in multi-media streaming device.

The ongoing cycle of each gamer/gaming household buying upgraded hardware every few years is terribly wasteful. Whether console or PC is more wasteful is obviously debatable.

I think Samsung and Valve should do something in this direction with a line of TVs (of different sizes for different budgets) with a built in Valvebox to get the ball rolling.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

I go back to pc gaming now and then, then get fed up with it again and put on a console game that just works without always on drm, server lag, annoying extra layers like gfwl and other bullshit.

Around the Network
PullusPardus said:
sega4life said:
Gilgamesh said:
It's not exactly the greatest time to compare when the 7th gen is basically ending and there's no new 8th gen consoles out except for handhelds...

I think a large part has to do with HDTV's and people finally realizing they can hook up their PC's to their TV finally without special equipment.

Now you don't even need DVI, but rather just HDMI.

People see Google/Apple-TV and and just say F-it, just give me a PC with Media Center and I'll do everything in he living room.

Shit- I just put this SONY VAIO VGP in my living room this week....

what is that ? , a media server or a full prebuilt desktop computer?

It's everything

PS4 Preordered - 06/11/2013 @09:30am

XBox One Preordered - 06/19/2013 @07:57pm

"I don't trust #XboxOne & #Kinect 2.0, it's always connected" as you tweet from your smartphone - irony 0_o

Mostly I use consoles, except for Terraria and games that I can get real cheap during the frequent PC sales.

My PC games are Terraria, Far Cry 1 and 2, Crysis 2, Portal 2, and L.A. Noire.

Been away for a bit, but sneaking back in.

Gaming on: PS4, PC, 3DS. Got a Switch! Mainly to play Smash

BasilZero said:

I'm going to build a gaming PC once I get the necessary funds for it.

PC gaming for me is gonna be alot better than console gaming in the coming years :)

Probably the only thing that will still keep gaming simple and not mix it up with motion controls, tablet controllers and unnecessary add-ons (cough wondershit from Sony)

PC the home of uneccesary addons, controllers and accessories

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

NintendoPie said:
I don't know if it'll ever make a full come-back like many of you PC-Gamers probably hope.

I know I will never buy a PC game ever again.

why exactly?

if it is because some patches or so just buy the game a year after release. at least people should try something like the humbe indie bundle we saw  few weeks ago where you could get games like braid, bastion, limbo and more for whatever you wanted to pay.

btw it's always hard for me to imagine these "pc was almost dead" when in my country, pc was always the prefered platform

richardhutnik said:
sega4life said:

Times could be changing again, however. According to industry analyst NPD Group, sales of video-game hardware -- a.k.a consoles -- software and even accessories fell for a sixth consecutive month in May, tumbling 28% from a year earlier to $517 million. And with the release of Blizzard's Diablo III, May also saw the first time since July 2010 that the top-selling game was a PC-only title. That boosted PC video games sales up year-over-year to 230% or $80 million.

While the top-selling games are now dominated by multi platform titles available for the consoles and PC, the shift has been increasingly away from the PC completely.

The PC gaming market is over 6 times smaller than the console market?  Wow, I didn't realize it got to THIS point.

Well the retail market in the USA vs Hardware/Software (Consoles + Handhelds) + Accessories

Or at least that is how I read it 

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!