By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - World Exclusive: PS4 in deep (first specs)

These numbers mean nothing to me. Could someone explain them in layman's terms?

Around the Network
man-bear-pig said:

I was literally just about to post this.  I feel like I should be impressed with these specs, but realistically they just meant nothing to me.  Someone else care to explain?

"10 times more powerful than the PS3" I understood, although I find that a little odd.

Posting so I can come back and see what other people say later, at least.

... Since when did Rumor become "World Exclusive" my buddy Zero?

Anyways, I'll be back in the morning to make sense of the specs, they sound like gibberish at 4 AM. :P

I just the world exclusive Xbox 3 specs! It's going to have a cup-holder!

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

It's basically what I already initially posted on the comparison thread of that guy with a south park avatar, who was reluctant to update because of his belief the PS4 would be weaker than the Wii-U BTW. A dev supposedly confirmed it on GAF a while ago, and there has been rumors in other places besides that.

The CPU comparison is probably based on double-precision floating point operations and other kinds of calculations using multiple instructions. The GPU comparison on single-precision plus the more efficient, unified design. RAM's pretty straightforward and about 8x faster than the XDR on the PS3. Roughly saying, on layman's terms, I'd guess would look like PS4 = Xbox, X720 = Gamecube/PS2 and Wii-U = Dreamcast on graphic capability. Of course I'm pulling that out of thin air based on the most solid rumors so far, so be free to consider it or not.

Should Moore's law for FLOPS/dollars hold, it's manufacturing costs by the end of the next year should equal PS3's by mid 2009.

Around the Network
man-bear-pig said:

The PS4 is10 times as powerful as the PS3. For every one object rendered by the ps3, the ps4 can handle ten of those objects. So basicly, the PS4 has the ability to play games with 10 times the graphics of Uncharted 3 (So we'll finally surpass real life in terms of graphics), 10 times the dimensions (So it'll be 20D, 30D if using a 3D TV), 10 times the resolution, 10 times the buildings, 10 times the characters, worlds that are 10 times the size of Skyrim, games with 10 times the bugs in Skyrim, and finally, ten times the price of the PS3.

And if that's not true, then where the Hell does the 10 number come from!?!?!

Looks like their going the cheap, but powerful route of the 360. Hell, it might be even more powerful. I know Xbox 720 is rumored to have a 16 core processor, but at the mediocre clock speed of 2.2Ghz and the fact that 4 of those cores would be for Kinect V2, the PS4 would likely outperform it on most cross-platform games and probably overall.

I dont understand.. whats the power standing now with GPU, CPU, RAM with the WiiU, Xbox 8, PS4

Yay!!!

Did you mean "World Exclusive: PS4 in depth"?

But yeah DX"11.5"? Why not just say OpenGL4.2? It is more beliveable.

markers said:

Did you mean "World Exclusive: PS4 in depth"?

But yeah DX"11.5"? Why not just say OpenGL4.2? It is more beliveable.

MS owns the DX right... right?

Yay!!!