By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - WiiU Confirmed specs from SDK and GPU info: DirectX 11 features!

BlkPaladin said:
lilbroex said:
JEMC said:
lilbroex said:
JEMC said:

PS4 and the Nextbox don't need to double the performance of WiiU to be better. They can have "only" 50% more power AND a lot more RAM (4GB) to make bigger and better games (technically), and those games would be very hard to make or even imposible to port to WiiU.

Mind you, I think they will try to do the same as last gen and do another big jump in specs instead of a big step, but just because they don't want to be beaten by the other. It's like the cold war, but in consoles.

Oh, and just because the strongest console has never won until now, it doesn't mean that it won't change the next time.

They wouldn't. They would be no harder to make than a PS2 version of a GC or Xbox1 game was. They'd just have to cut down the polygon count a little and remove a few objects. Exept now, with the level of graphics possed by the Wii U, a downgrade games would still look extremely good which was Iwata means when he says people won't see that much of a diffence. Just buying GPU that increases the performance from another by 25% can rasie the prise by 3 fold.

For the next Sony and Microsoft consoles to create a gap in like the one between the Wii an the PS3/360 in pwoer, it would need hardware that ran near 1 grand if not more.  The only thing having a more powerful console will do is increase the cost and developement times all around for everyone. Nintendo knows what they are doing and they are doing it right.

If the difference in RAM is big, the example I said was 1.5GB vs 4GB, reducing the poly count and a few objects won't be enough in some games, specially in open world games like Western RPGs or GTA-style games. The difference is just too big. They will have to make other sacrifices (like horizon distance or lighting) that will be noticeable.

We don't know how much does the GFX chip of WiiU cost, but a 25% performance increase is pretty normal from 1 gen of cards to another, so the chip in the HD58xx cards would more than do that, and they are quite cheap nowadays. Will it cost 3 times more? Maybe, but that won't make the console much more expensive, it will just make their loss (because they will sell them at a loss) a bit bigger.

Your not using any logic. There is nothing that could be done with 4 GB that would limit a system with 1 GB from playing the game as there is nothing that "needs" that amount of ram when it comes to gaming aside from huge caches of uncompressed super HD textures. Simple compression would solve the problem of anything that did.

If Sony and Micrsoft actively choose to sell their next console at loss, then they deserve their fate because even then, more people will still on a Wii U and the Wii U will still be cheaper.

Truth be told, I really want them to make an astronically more powerful consle. It will guarantee that they will lose the next gen again horribly. The fact that people still refer to Sony and Micrsoft in tandem like they are both one entity against Nintendo shows just how high Nintendo's standings are.

Yeah I have to agree. There is no why outside of really sloppy programming that you will need 4GB of RAM in a console. Even with the memory hog that is known as Windows most game's recommend 4GB of RAM. 1.5GB of RAM is more than enough for any game to run no console is going to be running a ton of API layers like Windows. And not to mention adding more RAM doesn't mean the games get better, you also have take in consideration the balence of the system or else you end up with bottle necks that will slow down the performance of the system.

You're forgetting the 1-3Gb of video RAM on the graphics card. That needs to be utilised too, so actually, a console's RAM does matter... a lot.

Around the Network
Moonhero said:
So is this thing a Gamecube and 360 Duct tapped together?

Actually, it's closer to three 360's duct taped together along with every previous system Nintendo's ever made thrown in.

Love and tolerate.

Salnax said:
Moonhero said:
So is this thing a Gamecube and 360 Duct tapped together?

Actually, it's closer to three 360's duct taped together along with every previous system Nintendo's ever made thrown in.

Still no sega "Blast Processor" then? Sorrow...

Ask stefl1504 for a sig, even if you don't need one.

Araknie said:
Not quite specific, but there's some pretty good info, not for the graphics that i don't really care, but for the stability of the frame rate.

I think this consoles will be the first that can have 1080p stable at 30fps, not in the first year of course but when developers will learn how to do games they can do it that way.

PS3 has a number of games at that FR. GT5 being the most notable.

Superman4 said:
Araknie said:
Not quite specific, but there's some pretty good info, not for the graphics that i don't really care, but for the stability of the frame rate.

I think this consoles will be the first that can have 1080p stable at 30fps, not in the first year of course but when developers will learn how to do games they can do it that way.

PS3 has a number of games at that FR. GT5 being the most notable.

From memory GT5 runs at 1280*1080 not the standard 1920*1080 which is about 2/3rds the number of pixels.  I'm sure there are others that do but they tend to be less graphically intensive titles.  Don't quote me though, happy to be corrected on the above.

Around the Network
JEMC said:
Honestly?

I think the problem will be developers wanting to do local/spliscreen multiplayer rather than the console being able to do it.

And while the CPU may not be a huge jump from last gen, it still is much better than the ones found in the HD twins. By how much? Until we know the speed it is unknown.

I can't imagine that implementing at least two-player multiplayer on the system, perhaps using the Upad for the second player, would be that much effort for developers. But the point is that it would be capable of it, and therefore a few of the developers may actually choose to do it, rather than trying to create new assets for the Wii U version of the game to take advantage of the system's graphical power directly.

And I wasn't saying that the CPU isn't better than found in the PS3/360 - but we just don't know. The best we have at this point is rumours, and the rumours point to something similar to that found on the PS3/360, with the main differences being RAM and GPU (in other words, Nintendo is trying to minimise the bottlenecks, as usual).

Aielyn said:
JEMC said:
Honestly?

I think the problem will be developers wanting to do local/spliscreen multiplayer rather than the console being able to do it.

And while the CPU may not be a huge jump from last gen, it still is much better than the ones found in the HD twins. By how much? Until we know the speed it is unknown.

I can't imagine that implementing at least two-player multiplayer on the system, perhaps using the Upad for the second player, would be that much effort for developers. But the point is that it would be capable of it, and therefore a few of the developers may actually choose to do it, rather than trying to create new assets for the Wii U version of the game to take advantage of the system's graphical power directly.

As I said, I think it has more to do with developers not being interested in local multiplayer anymore, except in minigames or other social games. They prefer to focus on the online multiplayer. Sadly.

But I like the idea of local multiplayer making use of the GamePad's screen, and some games like ZombieU and NintendoLand have already shown that it can bring a lot of fun and new things into multiplayer.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

JEMC said:
As I said, I think it has more to do with developers not being interested in local multiplayer anymore, except in minigames or other social games. They prefer to focus on the online multiplayer. Sadly.

But I like the idea of local multiplayer making use of the GamePad's screen, and some games like ZombieU and NintendoLand have already shown that it can bring a lot of fun and new things into multiplayer.

I understand the reasoning, but it's one of those "if it takes only a couple of days worth of effort, and lets you put an extra bullet point on the box, why not?" sort of cases. And keep in mind that I'm not saying they'll all do it - just that we'll see a few instances of it. At least, a few early on. If sales of games that do have local multiplayer start performing better, developers will get more interested rather quickly.

It's one of the few situations I can imagine in which local multiplayer starts to become more common again. And I kind of hope that Nintendo's emphasis on "local fun with friends" will rub off on the industry a little.

Aielyn said:
JEMC said:

I understand the reasoning, but it's one of those "if it takes only a couple of days worth of effort, and lets you put an extra bullet point on the box, why not?" sort of cases. And keep in mind that I'm not saying they'll all do it - just that we'll see a few instances of it. At least, a few early on. If sales of games that do have local multiplayer start performing better, developers will get more interested rather quickly.

It's one of the few situations I can imagine in which local multiplayer starts to become more common again. And I kind of hope that Nintendo's emphasis on "local fun with friends" will rub off on the industry a little.

I know what you mean, but unfortunately the videogames industry no longer works that way.

To put local multiplayer on a game, some guys have to think what kind of multiplayer can be done and what do they/we want to do with it, then it has to be programmed, tested and refined until it works. It takes more than a couple of days and a few people involved.

Too much money and resources "wasted" in the minds of most of the publishers to give it the green light.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

JEMC said:
I know what you mean, but unfortunately the videogames industry no longer works that way.

To put local multiplayer on a game, some guys have to think what kind of multiplayer can be done and what do they/we want to do with it, then it has to be programmed, tested and refined until it works. It takes more than a couple of days and a few people involved.

Too much money and resources "wasted" in the minds of most of the publishers to give it the green light.

I'm talking about the simplest form of multiplayer - "take the online multiplayer mode, and then basically imitate it offline". Keep in mind that playing on the TV and playing on the Upad (for no-TV mode) are both likely to be used in single-player anyway, for these games, because they're fairly straight ports. It's basically a combination of something that they were already doing, and something that requires minor modification to enable the offline version.

At least, that's how I'm envisaging it. More-than-two-player is a different question, of course.

Personally, I wouldn't be surprised to at least see an online multiplayer mode that lets two people play online together, rather than one person on their own. And if they do that, they'd then really have no reason not to look at an offline version.

Having said all that, the "two days" part was just a slight exaggeration to make the point - when they're porting it, the chance to add a couple of extra bullet points for relatively little work that is cheap (making higher quality models is more expensive) just makes sense.