By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - WiiU Confirmed specs from SDK and GPU info: DirectX 11 features!

That's a surprisingly small amount of actual information in a lot of text.

Around the Network
Aielyn said:
JEMC said:
I know what you mean, but unfortunately the videogames industry no longer works that way.

To put local multiplayer on a game, some guys have to think what kind of multiplayer can be done and what do they/we want to do with it, then it has to be programmed, tested and refined until it works. It takes more than a couple of days and a few people involved.

Too much money and resources "wasted" in the minds of most of the publishers to give it the green light.

I'm talking about the simplest form of multiplayer - "take the online multiplayer mode, and then basically imitate it offline". Keep in mind that playing on the TV and playing on the Upad (for no-TV mode) are both likely to be used in single-player anyway, for these games, because they're fairly straight ports. It's basically a combination of something that they were already doing, and something that requires minor modification to enable the offline version.

At least, that's how I'm envisaging it. More-than-two-player is a different question, of course.

Personally, I wouldn't be surprised to at least see an online multiplayer mode that lets two people play online together, rather than one person on their own. And if they do that, they'd then really have no reason not to look at an offline version.

Having said all that, the "two days" part was just a slight exaggeration to make the point - when they're porting it, the chance to add a couple of extra bullet points for relatively little work that is cheap (making higher quality models is more expensive) just makes sense.

Well, all I can say is that I hope you're right and they take local multiplier seriously again.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

JEMC said:
Aielyn said:
JEMC said:
As I said, I think it has more to do with developers not being interested in local multiplayer anymore, except in minigames or other social games. They prefer to focus on the online multiplayer. Sadly.

But I like the idea of local multiplayer making use of the GamePad's screen, and some games like ZombieU and NintendoLand have already shown that it can bring a lot of fun and new things into multiplayer.

I understand the reasoning, but it's one of those "if it takes only a couple of days worth of effort, and lets you put an extra bullet point on the box, why not?" sort of cases. And keep in mind that I'm not saying they'll all do it - just that we'll see a few instances of it. At least, a few early on. If sales of games that do have local multiplayer start performing better, developers will get more interested rather quickly.

It's one of the few situations I can imagine in which local multiplayer starts to become more common again. And I kind of hope that Nintendo's emphasis on "local fun with friends" will rub off on the industry a little.

I know what you mean, but unfortunately the videogames industry no longer works that way.

To put local multiplayer on a game, some guys have to think what kind of multiplayer can be done and what do they/we want to do with it, then it has to be programmed, tested and refined until it works. It takes more than a couple of days and a few people involved.

Too much money and resources "wasted" in the minds of most of the publishers to give it the green light.

Not that I necessarily disagree with you but given it's rarity these days 4 player local multiplayer could even have serious nostalgia value.

If Nintendo releases a Mario Kart on the Wii U with a battle mode as good as the N64 version and I know four friends who would each drop the cash for a Wii U and a copy of the game in an instant.

hsrob said:
JEMC said:

Not that I necessarily disagree with you but given it's rarity these days 4 player local multiplayer could even have serious nostalgia value.

If Nintendo releases a Mario Kart on the Wii U with a battle mode as good as the N64 version and I know four friends who would each drop the cash for a Wii U and a copy of the game in an instant.

Nintendo has always cared about local multiplayer, although who knows what they will do with thw WiiU with only 2 GamePads.

About nostalgia effect, Goldeneye with its local multiplayer sold well on Wii but rather poorly on Xbox and PS3. I don't know if has enough value for them.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

JEMC said:

Nintendo has always cared about local multiplayer, although who knows what they will do with thw WiiU with only 2 GamePads.

About nostalgia effect, Goldeneye with its local multiplayer sold well on Wii but rather poorly on Xbox and PS3. I don't know if has enough value for them.

You mean with only 2 gamepads and 4 wiimotes.

Around the Network

So.....is this a lot better than the PS3 or not?

Babble babble bitch bitch rebel rebel party party sex sex sex and don't forget the violence. Blah blah blah got your lovey-dovey sad and lonely stick your stupid slogan in. Everybody sing along. 

comawhite94 said:

Not

Superman4 said:
comawhite94 said:

Not

Funny enough, you have no idea.

happydolphin said:
JEMC said:

You mean with only 2 gamepads and 4 wiimotes.

Indeed, thanks for pointing that.

But with 1 TV, 2 Gamepads and 4 Wiimotes it won't be an asymetrical experience like Nintendo wants, it will a chaotic experience. In a good way.

happydolphin said:
Superman4 said:
comawhite94 said:

Not

Funny enough, you have no idea.

According to Nintendo themselves it is "on par" with PS3 and 360. So is it "a lot" better, no. Could it be better? yes.