By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - WiiU Confirmed specs from SDK and GPU info: DirectX 11 features!

Aielyn said:

Ah, so it's Nintenduct tape?

Use spoiler! Anyway, too late. Nintendo's Ninjas are after you. Nice to met you :(

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Around the Network

I doubt many devs even bother making their games look much better than 360/PS3 games.

Most Wii U games will look like that.

Nintendo never replaced studios like Factor 5 and Rare that actually gave a crap about pushing hardware and third parties don't give a crap about Nintendo either.

The PS4/XBox 720 will blow this system away if you're talking graphics and the higher end third party games, I don't see much difference from the last gen. You're going to have to buy a 720/PS4 to play those kinds of games or a high end PC.

I think Nintendo would be better off scooping up as much Japanese exclusive support as they can. I don't think a lot of Japanese devs are ready for the next-gen console budgets so Wii U might be a safe haven for them.

Soundwave said:
I doubt many devs even bother making their games look much better than 360/PS3 games.

Nintendo never replaced studios like Factor 5 and Rare that actually gave a crap about pushing hardware and third parties don't give a crap about Nintendo either.

The PS4/XBox 720 will blow this system away if you're talking graphics and the higher end third party games, I don't see much difference from the last gen. You're going to have to buy a 720/PS4 to play those kinds of games or a high end PC.

I think Nintendo would be better off scooping up as much Japanese exclusive support as they can. I don't think a lot of Japanese devs are ready for the next-gen console budgets so Wii U might be a safe haven for them.

False. No console would match a high end PC. A generic one will do just fine for the PS4 and next Xbox.

I think everyone is forgetting the garden demo. The Wii U should be able to handle anything that is out on PC right now at high setting. The next Sony and Microsoft consoles will need hardware that cost nearly 3 to 4 times as much as the Wii U to get double its performance because its. The gap will honestly be no bigger than it was with the PS2, GC and Xbox.

Also, lets get this fact into your head. The strongest console has "NEVER" in the history of gaming been the best selling. It was almost always the weakest.

Soundwave said:

What Nintendo needs is a few select exclusives that can push the system harder, and thus force multiplatform title development to actually put extra effort into the Wii U versions.

Let me put it this way - if ZombiU easily outperforms Resident Evil 6 in graphical quality, Capcom will be forced to put more effort into any future Resident Evil title on Wii U, because otherwise it would always be compared unfavourably to ZombiU. This assumes, of course, that games made specifically for the Wii U will look significantly better than those made for 360/PS3, and then ported over. The same, you'll note, applies for Wii U feature utilisation - if ZombiU uses the Upad well, then Capcom will be forced to use it in some way as well, if they want Resident Evil on the Wii U to perform well.

As for the claim that the successors to the other systems will far outperform the Wii U, I kindly ask you to stop making claims with no justification. Such systems haven't even been announced, and may not even turn up for 5 more years. Or they could be revealed tomorrow, and be outperformed by the Wii U. We don't know.

And for the record, Nintendo has both Monolith Soft and Retro, who do push systems pretty hard as well (moreso than Rare ever did - perhaps you meant Silicon Knights?).

Aielyn said:
Soundwave said:

What Nintendo needs is a few select exclusives that can push the system harder, and thus force multiplatform title development to actually put extra effort into the Wii U versions.

Let me put it this way - if ZombiU easily outperforms Resident Evil 6 in graphical quality, Capcom will be forced to put more effort into any future Resident Evil title on Wii U, because otherwise it would always be compared unfavourably to ZombiU. This assumes, of course, that games made specifically for the Wii U will look significantly better than those made for 360/PS3, and then ported over. The same, you'll note, applies for Wii U feature utilisation - if ZombiU uses the Upad well, then Capcom will be forced to use it in some way as well, if they want Resident Evil on the Wii U to perform well.

As for the claim that the successors to the other systems will far outperform the Wii U, I kindly ask you to stop making claims with no justification. Such systems haven't even been announced, and may not even turn up for 5 more years. Or they could be revealed tomorrow, and be outperformed by the Wii U. We don't know.

And for the record, Nintendo has both Monolith Soft and Retro, who do push systems pretty hard as well (moreso than Rare ever did - perhaps you meant Silicon Knights?).

They have those already. ZombiU and P-100. Especially P-100. I almost thought I was looking at CG for a moment. The graphics are just that good.

Around the Network
lilbroex said:

They have those already. ZombiU and P-100. Especially P-100. I almost thought I was looking at CG for a moment. The graphics are just that good.

I have to agree there, I actually said 'Wow' when I saw this:

however, those the individual character models need a lot of work, but the focus (outside of a few cut scenes) will never be on them:

lilbroex said:
Aielyn said:
Soundwave said:

Not to mention Nintendo has hired several people from Naughty Dog, Vigil and Crytek, to help make games for the Wii U. So Retro and Monolith Software who like to use graphics will be able to push the envelope with their games.

http://nintendoeverything.com/82106/nintendo-adds-ex-crytek-staffer/

lilbroex said:

False. No console would match a high end PC. A generic one will do just fine for the PS4 and next Xbox.

I think everyone is forgetting the garden demo. The Wii U should be able to handle anything that is out on PC right now at high setting. The next Sony and Microsoft consoles will need hardware that cost nearly 3 to 4 times as much as the Wii U to get double its performance because its. The gap will honestly be no bigger than it was with the PS2, GC and Xbox.

Also, lets get this fact into your head. The strongest console has "NEVER" in the history of gaming been the best selling. It was almost always the weakest.

PS4 and the Nextbox don't need to double the performance of WiiU to be better. They can have "only" 50% more power AND a lot more RAM (4GB) to make bigger and better games (technically), and those games would be very hard to make or even imposible to port to WiiU.

Mind you, I think they will try to do the same as last gen and do another big jump in specs instead of a big step, but just because they don't want to be beaten by the other. It's like the cold war, but in consoles.

Oh, and just because the strongest console has never won until now, it doesn't mean that it won't change the next time.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

JEMC said:
lilbroex said:

PS4 and the Nextbox don't need to double the performance of WiiU to be better. They can have "only" 50% more power AND a lot more RAM (4GB) to make bigger and better games (technically), and those games would be very hard to make or even imposible to port to WiiU.

Mind you, I think they will try to do the same as last gen and do another big jump in specs instead of a big step, but just because they don't want to be beaten by the other. It's like the cold war, but in consoles.

Oh, and just because the strongest console has never won until now, it doesn't mean that it won't change the next time.

They wouldn't. They would be no harder to make than a PS2 version of a GC or Xbox1 game was. They'd just have to cut down the polygon count a little and remove a few objects. Exept now, with the level of graphics capability possed by the Wii U, a downgraded games would still look extremely good which is what Iwata means when he says people won't see that much of a diffence. Just buying GPU that increases the performance from another by 25% can rasie the prise by 3 fold.

For the next Sony and Microsoft consoles to create a gap in capability  like the one between the Wii an the PS3/360 in pwoer, it would need hardware that ran near 1 grand if not more. Honestly, having anything more than 2 GBs of ram won't make a big difference either because the cost of fully utilizing that volume in a console would be so immense that it would offest the benefit.  The only thing having a more powerful console will do is increase the cost and developement times all around for everyone. Nintendo knows what they are doingl, and they are doing it right.

lilbroex said:
JEMC said:

They wouldn't. They would be no harder to make than a PS2 version of a GC or Xbox1 game was. They'd just have to cut down the polygon count a little and remove a few objects. Exept now, with the level of graphics possed by the Wii U, a downgrade games would still look extremely good which was Iwata means when he says people won't see that much of a diffence. Just buying GPU that increases the performance from another by 25% can rasie the prise by 3 fold.

For the next Sony and Microsoft consoles to create a gap in like the one between the Wii an the PS3/360 in pwoer, it would need hardware that ran near 1 grand if not more.  The only thing having a more powerful console will do is increase the cost and developement times all around for everyone. Nintendo knows what they are doing and they are doing it right.

If the difference in RAM is big, the example I said was 1.5GB vs 4GB, reducing the poly count and a few objects won't be enough in some games, specially in open world games like Western RPGs or GTA-style games. The difference is just too big. They will have to make other sacrifices (like horizon distance or lighting) that will be noticeable.

We don't know how much does the GFX chip of WiiU cost, but a 25% performance increase is pretty normal from 1 gen of cards to another, so the chip in the HD58xx cards would more than do that, and they are quite cheap nowadays. Will it cost 3 times more? Maybe, but that won't make the console much more expensive, it will just make their loss (because they will sell them at a loss) a bit bigger.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.