By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo can never seem to satisfy fans

Andrespetmonkey said:

I'm just tired of Mario, Zelda etc. I still like Pokemon and Pikmin.

See, this is the thing. You don't get tired of Mario or Zelda, because those games are still good. What you would want is more variety, but to say I don't want anymore Mario or Zelda is going too far.

To say I don't just want Mario or Zelda is fine, but to say that those games are getting old, it's not a fair opinion because those games are always good, bar some exception entries.

Around the Network
Sal.Paradise said:

“I have heard people say, ‘You know, you’ve got these fantastic franchises, beyond what you’re doing in Smash Bros., isn’t there a way to leverage all these franchises?’ So we create Nintendo Land"

-Lol-

Yeah. Not the best way Reggie. Still, it looks pretty fun.

happydolphin said:
Andrespetmonkey said:

I'm just tired of Mario, Zelda etc. I still like Pokemon and Pikmin.

See, this is the thing. You don't get tired of Mario or Zelda, because those games are still good. What you would want is more variety, but to say I don't want anymore Mario or Zelda is going too far.

To say I don't just want Mario or Zelda is fine, but to say that those games are getting old, it's not a fair opinion because those games are always good, bar some exception entries.

I'm not saying they shouldn't exist or anything. I'm saying they're irrelevant to my interests, I don't care about them, and I want new IP, but that doesn't mean the new IP has to replace other franchises.

NintendoPie said:
F0X said:

Retails. Do not forget that retailers are at E3. And they love dance games.

So does everyone else other than Nintendo's Core. That's what E3 is going towards now; the Press and Shareholders.

But that's where Reggie fails. If in the interview he said "we don't actually care what core gamers want", then it would be end of story. But the truth is they are actually trying to cater to the core market (he said so himself in the interview), so if that's true, then he needs to present as much.

Press and shareholders matter, but they need to hit that target as well as the other one (3 birds one stone). I know it's a big job, but he's president of Nintendo oF America after all, it's a big role.

happydolphin said:

But that's where Reggie fails. If in the interview he said "we don't actually care what core gamers want", then it would be end of story. But the truth is they are actually trying to cater to the core market (he said so himself in the interview), so if that's true, then he needs to present as much.

Press and shareholders matter, but they need to hit that target as well as the other one (3 birds one stone). I know it's a big job, but he's president of Nintendo oF America after all, it's a big role.

That's what I think Nintendo Direct is now for; to give Fans what they want.

Around the Network
Andrespetmonkey said:

I'm not saying they shouldn't exist or anything. I'm saying they're irrelevant to my interests, I don't care about them, and I want new IP, but that doesn't mean the new IP has to replace other franchises.

They are giving new IPs. Did you mean 1st or 3rd party? Also, their focus is on their mascots first, everything else second, so as a Nintendo fan, you would have to look beyond Mario if you're looking for new IPs on Nintendo's platform. However, it is up to Nintendo to also learn to better balance the limelight they give to mario along with other IPs.

Example, Castlevania 3DS was showcased at the 3DS presentation. Great!

But the question comes, is that only yet because there are so few top-tier 3rd party IPs to appear on the 3DS in the west? Maybe, but still above and beyond Castlevania there was Bravely Default, Fire Emblem and Layton that got 0 mention at the presentation. That's a fail. It needs to be better balanced imho.

NintendoPie said:

Maybe Nintendo can influence gamer perception. Problem is, the gamer community at large (read the interview if you can) doesn't watch Nintendo Direct, and that's the central point of this topic.

The gamer community at large follows E3, and Nintendo needs to leverage it, above and beyond the great work they're doing in Nintendo Direct.

happydolphin said:
NintendoPie said:

Maybe Nintendo can influence gamer perception. Problem is, the gamer community at large (read the interview if you can) doesn't watch Nintendo Direct, and that's the central point of this topic.

The gamer community at large follows E3, and Nintendo needs to leverage it, above and beyond the great work they're doing in Nintendo Direct.

Well then they need to get the community to look at and watch Nintendo Direct. That's what they need.

NintendoPie said:

Well then they need to get the community to look at and watch Nintendo Direct. That's what they need.

Too much to ask. Remember, these are mostly not Nintendo fans. The only way for that to happen is if they became Nintendo fans. To do that, they need to improve what they're doing.

I know you don't like to hear that, but it's just true. They've been failing their E3 presentations year after year, it's time they realize the problem is with them and not with us...

happydolphin said:
Andrespetmonkey said:

They are giving new IPs. Did you mean 1st or 3rd party? Also, their focus is on their mascots first, everything else second, so as a Nintendo fan, you would have to look beyond Mario if you're looking for new IPs on Nintendo's platform. However, it is up to Nintendo to also learn to better balance the limelight they give to mario along with other IPs.

Example, Castlevania 3DS was showcased at the 3DS presentation. Great!

But the question comes, is that only yet because there are so few top-tier 3rd party IPs to appear on the 3DS in the west? Maybe, but still above and beyond Castlevania there was Bravely Default, Fire Emblem and Layton that got 0 mention at the presentation. That's a fail. It needs to be better balanced imho.

1st party or 3rd. I don't really care about what they should do to be honest. Just saying that to satisfy me, they'll need to give me new IPs I'm interested in. ZombiU is a good example, Pikmin 3 looks promising (I know this obviously isn't new lol)... keep that shit up and I'll buy a Wii U. Mario and Zelda mean nothing to me. I can objectively look at those games and tell they are good, I just have no interest in playing them. 

I agree with most of what you said. This is just me being selfish and only thinking about what I want, but hey, that's what would satisfy me :P