By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo can never seem to satisfy fans

How was the Virtual boy a gimmick?
it was an amazing idea, just failed cause it was too ambitious for the time...

Around the Network
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Significant_leap said:
The wiimote is not a gimmick...motion controls could be....but the wiimote is a controller...still a good gimmick, and it worked, congratulations to Nintendo for that :)

All motion controls are a gimmick. They are a novelty used to cash in on casuals. This just so happens to be the most profitable generation for gimmicks out of all the gimmicks Nintendo has tried over the years. The glove, Virtual boy and more speak for themselves.

No., not really. You sound like someone from 6 years ago. I would have thought that nearly 100 million units later, people would accept motion controls as a legitimate control scheme and not a mere gimmick. I would even venture to say that motion controls are the superior control scheme for some genres.

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." -My good friend Mark Aurelius

Homer
absolutely, i cant go back to dual analoge for FP games
also many sports games are better with the wiimote (golf, tennis, table tennis...etc)

S.T.A.G.E. said:

Blu Ray isn't a gimmick it's apart of the hardware multimedia aspect of the hardware. It stabalized Blu Ray sales so now we dont have to use multiple discs. It cost Sony second place but ensured an upscaled style of viewing movies with more storage. 

Microsoft didn't care for HD DVD  until they found out Sony was taking them out. They will most likely follow suit with Blu Ray like good little boys.

Sony assisted by Microsoft stabalized DVD prices to mass market value so the format could flourish. The Nintendo Wiimotes, Kinect and Move are gimmicks. The way Sony has handled the Move shows you exactly how much they care.

I think you have the wrong idea of what a gimmick actually is, a gimmick is a unique or quirky special feature that makes something "stand out" from its contemporaries, going by that definition the Blu Ray is a perfect example of a gimmick. 

Nintendo and PC gamer

Significant_leap said:
Homer
absolutely, i cant go back to dual analoge for FP games
also many sports games are better with the wiimote (golf, tennis, table tennis...etc)

I wouldn't know about fps games because the wii isn't really known for having that many quality ones(Metroid being the exception but it isn't your typical fps anyways) but I do agree wholeheartedily about the majority of sports games.

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." -My good friend Mark Aurelius

Around the Network
osed125 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Blu Ray isn't a gimmick it's apart of the hardware multimedia aspect of the hardware. It stabalized Blu Ray sales so now we dont have to use multiple discs. It cost Sony second place but ensured an upscaled style of viewing movies with more storage. 

Microsoft didn't care for HD DVD  until they found out Sony was taking them out. They will most likely follow suit with Blu Ray like good little boys.

Sony assisted by Microsoft stabalized DVD prices to mass market value so the format could flourish. The Nintendo Wiimotes, Kinect and Move are gimmicks. The way Sony has handled the Move shows you exactly how much they care.

I think you have the wrong idea of what a gimmick actually is, a gimmick is a unique or quirky special feature that makes something "stand out" from its contemporaries, going by that definition the Blu Ray is a perfect example of a gimmick. 

Bolded. That is the definition of what the Wii Mote is. A controller that makes gaming easier for casuals or Kinect which allows you to be the controller. Blu Ray isnt a gimmick is a format much like Nintendos Mini-disc, DVD's and CD's.

homer said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Significant_leap said:
The wiimote is not a gimmick...motion controls could be....but the wiimote is a controller...still a good gimmick, and it worked, congratulations to Nintendo for that :)

All motion controls are a gimmick. They are a novelty used to cash in on casuals. This just so happens to be the most profitable generation for gimmicks out of all the gimmicks Nintendo has tried over the years. The glove, Virtual boy and more speak for themselves.

No., not really. You sound like someone from 6 years ago. I would have thought that nearly 100 million units later, people would accept motion controls as a legitimate control scheme and not a mere gimmick. I would even venture to say that motion controls are the superior control scheme for some genres.

Most people are not interested in real gaming they are interested in novelties and gimmicks. Gimmicks have mass market appeal.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
osed125 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Bolded. That is the definition of what the Wii Mote is. A controller that makes gaming easier for casuals or Kinect which allows you to be the controller. Blu Ray isnt a gimmick is a format. 

To be fair, now that the wiimote isn't unique now that Nintendo's competitor's have all produced motion controllers, wouldn't it be unfair to label it a gimmick and not a legitimate control scheme?

Homer
yeah but i mean, isnt shooting based on aiming ability? which device is better suited for it, a controller that allows you to aim for real, or a device that has a stick for aiming?

homer said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
osed125 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Bolded. That is the definition of what the Wii Mote is. A controller that makes gaming easier for casuals or Kinect which allows you to be the controller. Blu Ray isnt a gimmick is a format. 

To be fair, now that the wiimote isn't unique now that Nintendo's competitor's have all produced motion controllers, wouldn't it be unfair to label it a gimmick and not a legitimate control scheme?

Its still a gimmick. Their comtemporaries cashed in on the casualization of gaming. Microsoft did pretty well for themselves as well. That gimmick is keeping them ahead of Sony in sales.