By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo can never seem to satisfy fans

Actually PES for Wii, Red steel 2 and some other games made the use of the Wiimote a more complex experience than the traditional pad,....

Around the Network
Significant_leap said:
But the Wiimote kept this gen more fresh than the HD graphics...i dont know, it seems that you are twisting that definition to match your likes...

No they did not. Almost nobody really used them, and when they where used they mostly sucked (Skyword Sword, Red Steel). HD graphics where the biggest improvment of this generation

S.T.A.G.E. said:

The Wii Mote made gaming easier for families who hate the complexities of gaming. It ushered in competition from Microsoft and Sony to see who could dumb down gaming the most. As usual if a proven novelty shows itself large sums of money and casuals with fleeting interest shall follow. Expect Nintendo to pander to the core this generation since the casuals are used up. Even though Nintendo takes gimmicks seriously, it like most gimmicks will be a temporary fix. Microsoft took the rest of Nintendos casual momentum with their gimmick in 2010 with the Kinect and Nintendo experienced their first loss in 2011. 

The losses in 2011 aren't due to Kinect, to be clear Nintendo's downward curve in 2011 is due to phasing out in lieue of 3DS and WiiU. I.e. it's Nintendo's doing.

Another point I need to make is that simpler is not necessarily worse. For a traditional gamer, certainly you want to keep a more high-fidelity gameplay experience, and wouldn't want new unproven techs to hinder your enjoyment. But to keep in mind traditional gamers are not the only market in existence, and emerging technologies that appeal to a less experienced market does not make said technology without value. As a matter of fact, maybe thanks to that casual market, one day, you'll be controlling characters on screen more organically (as archbrix said).

The definition of gimmick you provided is absolutely fine by me. If the Wiimote is a gimmick, then a gimmick is something I celebrate, so long as it brings value (which motion controls do, to many people, though I'll admit not including you). Problem is, the verbal connotation of gimmick usually implies worthless, so which one do you go by? There's one of the two possibilities you can be certain I starkly dissagree with.

This is the usual PR spin. Instead of talking about their poor E3 presentation (which is what all the hubbub is actually about), he's skirting the issue.

"We have a Mario game", he says. Yeah, except it's a second-tier downloadable title of an old franchise (NSMB) that no one was asking for. "We have Pikmin", says Reggie. True, but it's an upscaled Wii game that Miyamoto said even works best by using the Wiimote and Nunchuk. Again, not a full-fledged Wii U title from the ground-up. As well, both Sony and Microsoft showed games that looked far more advanced graphically.

And I call BS on Reggie for saying that no one was interested when they announced Brain Age and Nintendogs for the NDS. They were NEW IPs, something that the Wii U is sorely lacking. They based their entire press conference around Nintendo Land, and he's going to try and turn our disappointment in THEIR sh*tty show against us? Saying that we're spoiled and can never be satisfied? F* him.

Lastly, he goes on to say that the public fully understands the idea. Then why did CNN and Jimmy Fallon publicly say that they thought it was a Wii peripheral? Because in 2 F*ng years Nintendo hasn't held up the actual console and said that it was the Wii U. Their message has been nothing but confusing, and they simply can't put their egos aside to think for one second that they've blown their entire marketing campaign for this thing. Man, just take some responsibility for something when you do a sh*tty job.

AndrewWK said:
Significant_leap said:
But the Wiimote kept this gen more fresh than the HD graphics...i dont know, it seems that you are twisting that definition to match your likes...

No they did not. Almost nobody really used them, and when they where used they mostly sucked (Skyword Sword, Red Steel). HD graphics where the biggest improvment of this generation

But you have to admit, though the SS controls were frustrating, there was alot of potential there. Who knows what the tech can bring after being refined? Thankfully, Sony's also in the game with Move. It'll be great to see where it all goes.

One thing is certain, that the PS3 would not be as awesome as it is without showcase games like 3eyond, TLOU, Uncharted and GoW. Certainly, the WiiU is as if not more powerful than a PS3, but it's the software that showcases the power of the system.

In other words, if the Wii was the true market leader as it should have been, if Reggie and Iwata were competent and sensible enough to cater to the traditional market, maybe we would have seen more serious attempts to make high-end games with high-fidelity motion controls. Again, it's the Software that showcases the hardware. And sure, may the hardware is not yet fully mature, but you can be certain that SS is leaps and bounds ahead of Twilight Princess, and that on the same console and tech. Granted, SS uses M+, but it's just M 1.5, you know what I mean? In other words, software R&D can still make the experience more 1 to 1 imho.

Around the Network

Andrew
we were talking about fresh ideas, HD is not fresh original not even new, PC gamers weve been enjoying HD since...a long time ago
the wiimote brought fresh games and experiences, sales proved them succesful, every Wii owner(and nonowners also) has played them
maybe you didnt like it...thats another story

happydolphin said:
AndrewWK said:
Significant_leap said:

But you have to admit, though the SS controls were frustrating, there was alot of potential there. Who knows what the tech can bring after being refined? Thankfully, Sony's also in the game with Move. It'll be great to see where it all goes.

One thing is certain, that the PS3 would not be as awesome as it is without showcase games like 3eyond, TLOU, Uncharted and GoW. Certainly, the WiiU is as if not more powerful than a PS3, but it's the software that showcases the power of the system.

In other words, if the Wii was the true market leader as it should have been, if Reggie and Iwata were competent and sensible enough to cater to the traditional market, maybe we would have seen more serious attempts to make high-end games with high-fidelity motion controls. Again, it's the Software that showcases the hardware. And sure, may the hardware is not yet fully mature, but you can be certain that SS is leaps and bounds ahead of Twilight Princess, and that on the same console and tech. Granted, SS uses M+, but it's just M 1.5, you know what I mean? In other words, software R&D can still make the experience more 1 to 1 imho.

The problem with Skyword Sword motion controls was, they used it everwhere, for combat for flying for aiming and even for fuckin diving, I mean WTF? they just used it too much. On the other hand it has potential no doubt, but when I play a game I want to relax lay down or sit in my chair while enjoying the story and gameplay. And this works better with holding the controller in your and pressing some buttons instead of moving the remote all the time.

I mean no doubt motion Controls where a great inovation, but for me it is just an additional feature.

AndrewWK said:

The problem with Skyword Sword motion controls was, they used it everwhere, for combat for flying for aiming and even for fuckin diving, I mean WTF? they just used it too much. On the other hand it has potential no doubt, but when I play a game I want to relax lay down or sit in my chair while enjoying the story and gameplay. And this works better with holding the controller in your and pressing some buttons instead of moving the remote all the time.

I mean no doubt motion Controls where a great inovation, but for me it is just an additional feature.

Well, the fact that you don't want to get your lazy bumb off the couch doesn't make "HD the biggest improvement of the generation" It's kinda biased a little.

Significant_leap said:
Andrew
we were talking about fresh ideas, HD is not fresh original not even new, PC gamers weve been enjoying HD since...a long time ago
the wiimote brought fresh games and experiences, sales proved them succesful, every Wii owner(and nonowners also) has played them
maybe you didnt like it...thats another story

Of course HD isn't fresh, it's not a gimmick. It's a natural progression. A lot of gamers expect an upward movement in graphics and power so games feel differenamt than the last generation and the immersive nature of gaming can smoothly commence.

happydolphin said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

The Wii Mote made gaming easier for families who hate the complexities of gaming. It ushered in competition from Microsoft and Sony to see who could dumb down gaming the most. As usual if a proven novelty shows itself large sums of money and casuals with fleeting interest shall follow. Expect Nintendo to pander to the core this generation since the casuals are used up. Even though Nintendo takes gimmicks seriously, it like most gimmicks will be a temporary fix. Microsoft took the rest of Nintendos casual momentum with their gimmick in 2010 with the Kinect and Nintendo experienced their first loss in 2011. 

The losses in 2011 aren't due to Kinect, to be clear Nintendo's downward curve in 2011 is due to phasing out in lieue of 3DS and WiiU. I.e. it's Nintendo's doing.

Another point I need to make is that simpler is not necessarily worse. For a traditional gamer, certainly you want to keep a more high-fidelity gameplay experience, and wouldn't want new unproven techs to hinder your enjoyment. But to keep in mind traditional gamers are not the only market in existence, and emerging technologies that appeal to a less experienced market does not make said technology without value. As a matter of fact, maybe thanks to that casual market, one day, you'll be controlling characters on screen more organically (as archbrix said).

The definition of gimmick you provided is absolutely fine by me. If the Wiimote is a gimmick, then a gimmick is something I celebrate, so long as it brings value (which motion controls do, to many people, though I'll admit not including you). Problem is, the verbal connotation of gimmick usually implies worthless, so which one do you go by? There's one of the two possibilities you can be certain I starkly dissagree with.

A traditional gamer can play a game any way he likes. He can go to a gamerpad based titles and he can enjoy the mastering the casualized experience and new gameplay styles. Nintendo gave options to people you see, even though the gamer pad was an addition. Five years is an exceptional run when your sales are based off of a casual draw. No one knows casual draw or appeal better than Nintendo. The PS2 and PS1 saw larger sales than the Wii but did not rely on casual appeal. Sony had things like the Eyetoy but never marketed them properly so no one knew about them, so in essence Sony started the motion control gimmick, the problem with them is they are not commercially a casual-friendly company. They are a tech fans enthusiasts even though they've been falling behind. 

My definition for gimmick is in fact the definition. Whether you want to see it as a good thing or bad thing is solely up to you. Nintendo takes pride in their casualized approach. Their art style is casual friendly even if a gamer might care to stick with them.The second you marry new casual controls (or novelties or gimmicks if you will) with  casual friendly games you have a winner. The Wii proved that and also proved to be an instant success and savior for Microsoft.