By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Is it just me or 3DS is... Magicians's Quest announced! New Scans for Layton vs Ace Attorney! Toriko First Screens, it's a... RPG?

Tagged games:

How would you rate 3DS 2012 in Japan

Bad 14 3.28%

Meh 26 6.09%

Good 58 13.58%

Awesome 325 76.11%

Total:423
bobgamez said:
Well, I'm not sure they can beat this year, but in the future they could release, a Zelda, a NEW pokemon game for the 3DS, Donkey Kong Country game, Super Smash Brothers, Kirby game, ect..

Nintendo really could just unleash a first party storm after 2012 if they wanted to

Yeah, a Smash Bros + Pokemon could be a destructive powerhouse indeed.

Let's hope this year is not an exception. Next year starts strong with Shin Megami Tensei 4 already. But that's it, for known big games. What else can they, and 3rd parties, bring?

Around the Network

Looks really awesome.

MontanaHatchet said:
It will definitely do well, but I'm not sure how an XL 3DS will be a boon to the system in Japan. It pretty much goes against the "slimmer" model that has been successful since...forever.

The japanese people received the XL pretty well, I believe. Most sales after it was released were from the new, more expensive model. I think this is a good move because one does not cancel the other - it's an option. Better shelf-exposure because of that too.

But that just my anedoctal guesstimate analysis. I'm just glad, as I think the DSi XL is the best DS by far.

VicViper said:
MontanaHatchet said:
It will definitely do well, but I'm not sure how an XL 3DS will be a boon to the system in Japan. It pretty much goes against the "slimmer" model that has been successful since...forever.

The japanese people received the XL pretty well, I believe. Most sales after it was released were from the new, more expensive model. I think this is a good move because one does not cancel the other - it's an option. Better shelf-exposure because of that too.

But that just my anedoctal guesstimate analysis. I'm just glad, as I think the DSi XL is the best DS by far.

It was my impression that the most popular DS model in Japan (and probably everywhere) was the DS Lite. Not saying that the XL 3DS won't boost sales, just that I think a slimmer model would be a much larger boost.

VicViper said:

20 - Senran Kagura - The definition of Megaton

Fixed for correctness.

Around the Network
MontanaHatchet said:
VicViper said:
MontanaHatchet said:

It was my impression that the most popular DS model in Japan (and probably everywhere) was the DS Lite. Not saying that the XL 3DS won't boost sales, just that I think a slimmer model would be a much larger boost.

Oh, it was. But that was in the DS golden years. I don't think that "age" could be repeated... ever again. DS Lite sold what Nintendo could manufacture.

The market changed a lot after that, imo.

But I think this is not even a remodel. It's a new model. So in the future (like next year) they might slim down both of the current models.

wow this will be huge!

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

Worldwide it will be massive this year. Theres people complaining on here that an XL isnt needed but i dont tthink the realize how hugely successful the DSiXL was in the west especially NA. There millions of buyers that have held off on buying a 3DS because they knew a redisign was inevitable.

And hopefully this will shut up all the people who say smartphones are canabalizing handheld console sales. Theres some overlap sure but they are very different experiences

MontanaHatchet said:

Whilst I would be inclined to agree, the fact is, the 3DS couldn't really get all that much slimmer...and the 3D effect wouldn't be seen on the smaller screen.

However, sales will increase, because loads of people were holding out for a redesign with a second nub. Since there isn't one, they may well just get a normal 3DS, or this XL model. That's where the boost will be IMO.

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Also may I just say that the new Paper Mario can't come soon enough. Damnit Nintendo.