By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Are there any decent current-gen games you've played that had noticeably bad graphics?

If so, how often does it occur!?

No, and never 9 12.00%

Yes, but rarely 28 37.33%

Yes, sometimes 27 36.00%

Yes, half the time 3 4.00%

Yes, more than half the time 7 9.33%

Total:74

I was reading a post earlier where someone said good gameplay + good graphics > little better gameplay + bad graphics. When he said that, I started to think of some good games I've played that had bad graphics. And I couldn't think of any. The only ones I could think of were just bad games in general.

When I say bad graphics, I mean where you unintentionally make a mental notice of the graphical weakness. I couldn't think of any time where that happened this gen, unless it was some shovelware, movie-tie-in, or it was really early in this generation or something. I think for the most part, when dealing with any decent game, none of them had graphics where I thought to myself "wow, these graphics are weak".

It seems like I haven't played any decent game this gen where I actually noticed that something was wrong with the graphics. I was just playing Heavenly Sword the other day, a 2007 game, & I thought the graphics were amazing.

discuss

Around the Network

Lostplanet22 said:

haha, touche.

Fallout 3 and Hunted: The Demon's Forge. But only to some extent. I still wouldn't call them noticeably bad.

But there aren't many bad games either that have bad graphics. Most games have good graphics.

No More Heroes, some of the Wii Play minigames, Art Style: Orbient, Bomberman Blast.

No More Heroes grew on me after 2 or 3 bosses, but the first level is still bland and poorly designed IMO... and the overworld is pretty bland too.

The Wii Play games that I don't think look good are the fishing one, and the find Mii and Pose Mii ones... though I guess it would be difficult to make the latter two more interesting.

Art Style: Orbient I feel misses a big opportunity to look great... I think it (models, textures and such) was probably designed in about 15 minutes, they could have made it beautiful with a few little lighting/particle effects.

Bomberman Blast... Well I just don't like it.

Around the Network

Homefront was very short but a pretty decent game. The graphics however were really bad. Low res textures and more jaggies than I have ever seen in a HD game (imagine a SD game without AA).

Slimebeast said:

Fallout 3 and Hunted: The Demon's Forge. But only to some extent. I still wouldn't call them noticeably bad.

But there aren't many bad games either that have bad graphics. Most games have good graphics.

I think Fallout 3 was fine for 2008 but Fallout Vegas was totally outdated when it came out in 2010.

Earth Defense Force 2021 and Nier. I loved the games but graphics were weak, especially Earth Defense Force.

Deadly Premonition... but it's not decent.. it's great

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

Zangeki no Reginleiv. Damned if it wasn't fun to mow down hordes of trolls or blow the legs off a frost giant and watch its limbless body go flopping to the ground, and the combat entailed more strategy than you would think just from looking at it, but at the same time i can understand why Nintendo never let it out of Japan, the physics were lol (moving into "So bad it's good" territory) and the graphics suffered horrendous slowdown and pop-in.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.