By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Are there any decent current-gen games you've played that had noticeably bad graphics?

If so, how often does it occur!?

No, and never 9 12.00%

Yes, but rarely 28 37.33%

Yes, sometimes 27 36.00%

Yes, half the time 3 4.00%

Yes, more than half the time 7 9.33%

Total:74

Well, since I'm a Wii gamer...

Let's go with Wii Play. Or Wii Sports Resort, which actually went with a simple style, so you can't really blame it.

Goldeneye didn't impress me either. It has some nice moments, but most of the time it was rather bland. Once it was down-right awful (I'm looking at you, night club scene).

Tag (Courtesy of Fkusumot) "If I'm posting in this thread then it's probally a spam thread."                               

Around the Network
badgenome said:
voty2000 said:

I was obviously talking about the Metro 2021 and EDF 2017 mashup that came out last week. 

Dang, now my mind is curious of what would happen if there was a mashup.  Start off underground like Metro then the EDF comes save the day.  EDF EDF EDF EDF!!!!

All I'm picturing are those goddamn interminable ant hill levels.

Now with insta-kill booby traps

Grand Slam Tennis for Wii. It looks bad, even by Wii standards, it looks like an early PS2 game. I think the devs spent so much time and energy getting the physics to work that there was none left for the visuals. But you know what, i still would give the game an 8-8.5. And thankfully the sequel is avalaible on PS360.

Kresnik said:

Just been playing Battalion Wars 2 and although the in-game graphics are perfectly functional, the actual cutscene graphics seem really poor.  Like late PS1/early PS2-era poor:

Also, although on the whole I thought Resistance 2 was a really beautiful game, there were just occasions of weird stuff that bugged me, like two-dimensional water falling from the ceiling.  Only noticed it because of the IGN review though, admittedly :P

Battalion Wars 2. I still haven't taken the copy I picked up out of the shrink wrap. I bought it because it was supposed to be a distant cousin of Advance Wars, probably my favorite Nintendo portable franchise, but I obviously never gave it a chance.

Some games really are better off on portable format. As far as anything on the DS and before went, the technical visuals never made a huge difference compared to the art direction.

Resistance 2 was reaaaaaaaally ugly to me for some reason. Just the overall look was really crap though there have been far worse games on a technical level

Around the Network

Too human

I'm going to have to say the original inFamous, I'm not sure whether it was just my psn version of it, but that was pretty meh on the graphics department.

Millenium said:
I'm going to have to say the original inFamous, I'm not sure whether it was just my psn version of it, but that was pretty meh on the graphics department.

funny you say that cuz I'm playing it right now. I think it looks pretty good tbh. I just wish it wasn't so damn gray. It's depressing. I couldn't play Fallout 3 for long stretches of time because the atmosphere depressed me, though I guess that was intentional.

From a technical standpoint Xenoblade had some pretty bad graphics but it made up for it with superb art direction.

Minecraft has some really bad graphics but for some reason I prefer them that way. I've tried mods enabling high resolution textures and water shaders but it doesn't take more than half an hour or so before I switch back.

The graphics in Mount & Blade are really bad and extremely bland but I have too much fun with it to care.

greenmedic88 said:
Anything by Grasshopper Manufacture (Suda51). Killer 7, No More Heroes, Lollipop Chainsaw, etc.

3D Dot Game Heroes from Atlus.

A lot of excellent open world type games, many already mentioned, that are simply restricted by memory on consoles so the visuals are drawn down.

...Wut? Killer 7 was a gamecube/ps2 game. For it's generation it looked pretty fantastic. No more Heroes was a wii game and again for a wii game looked pretty great. Lollipop chainsaw yea I guess. Being so stylised I find it hard to outright call it bad. Especially when some of the character models have a very high level of detail. 

For me I would say Fallout 3. That is a hideous game. People always post screenshots to try and show that it looks good. However when you have some of the worst animations this generation it really doesn't matter. That game is an utter eye sore to see in motion. 

Likewise I feel Dark Souls deserves a mention purely for some areas of the game. Personally I always count framerate as being both an element of gameplay and graphics. You go into blighttown and DS is shockingly bad. I mean it's like watching a slideshow of screenshots. 

Only other one to stick out in my mind is Wet. Game had pretty bad graphics but was pretty damn enjoyable. 

Turkish says and I'm allowed to quote that: Uncharted 3 and God Of War 3 look better than Unreal Engine 4 games will or the tech demo does. Also the Naughty Dog PS3 ENGINE PLAYS better than the UE4 ENGINE.