By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Another form of proof that GameTrailers is not neutral

http://forums.gametrailers.com/showthread.php?t=283036&page=1

-gametrailers:

"We don't create these videos for the fanboys. That's not the point. We create them so that people who own both systems can be a little more informed on which version to buy. It's the fanboys that turn the comments section for these videos into a debacle.

As for using RGB or adjusting the white levels on the PS3, that completely defeats the point of these videos. We play both systems on default settings with the same cabling. If we were to adjust the settings on the PS3 to make it look better then we'd be sacrificing the integrity of the video. It's not the other way around"

What is my comment on this? Well gametrailers, since 71% of PS3 users and 65% of Xbox 360 users own HD TV's why compare the ps3 on weak settings? And the xbox 360 at fullest? Are you afriad or what?

SO guys what this means is that they dont want to make the ps3 version look better because they want to be fair to the Xbox 360. So what they do is they do not change the RGB level to what its supposed to be the ps3 version of the game will look SD. When the game is made to look HD. Now as for the Xbox 360 out of the box by default its looking at its best, while ps3 is purposely downgraded visually to support SD. Why not compare both versions with ps3 at its best setting and 360 at its best setting?

Im sure they arent the only review site that do this.

mM
Around the Network

? what are you talking about ?

Gametrailers it's filled with sony fanboys. Hus is like a god for them

carlos710 - Capitán Primero: Nintendo Defense Force

"Wii are legion, for Wii are many"

I don't see this as slanted, but it is stupid.

The 360 by default comes with the switch set to standard TV, are they telling us they don't switch it to HDTV?

They review at their default settings. I am sure that over 50% of PS3 owners do not know about RGB or Super White (I think that was it?) settings.

Not biased, sensible.

In any case

"Hey guys, for the record, the RGB settings only matter if you are using HDMI.

Our comparisons are NOT HDMI. HDMI signals cannot be recorded due to the copy-protection handshake."

Neither of them are at top settings in any case.

@rath

I actually find it somewhat biased, why compare the Xbox 360 against the ps3 when it is limited in visuals with the Xbox 360 all fine and dandy?

mM
Around the Network

Read the edited part. Neither are using HDMI, the PS3 is not capable of using those settings without HDMI.

That post is fucking hilarious though, there are some seriously deluded PS3 fanboys posting there. Heres a favourite.

" Most of the US review ites are getting more and more bias, I think it's becuase they got angry at how the japanese don't buy american consoles, no matter how good it is. They want some kind of revenge."

actually I realized that RGB is a default setting if your TV supports it. Which actually proves that they dont use the correct TV as 70% of all HD-TVs now support RGB Full.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

@rath

I cant explain it, its too complicated.

PS3- limited(visuals limited due to RGB settings)

360-Full (has no limited visuals and is at full 480p)

mM
leo-j said:
@rath

I cant explain it, its too complicated.

PS3- limited(visuals limited due to RGB settings)

360-Full (has no limited visuals and is at full 480p)

No neither are running with HDMI cables and thus both are limited. You cannot use RGB or super white without HDMI.

Thus both are equal. 

leo-j said:

SO guys what this means is that they dont want to make the ps3 version look better because they want to be fair to the Xbox 360. So what they do is they do not change the RGB level to what its supposed to be the ps3 version of the game will look SD. When the game is made to look HD.

But that's the thing. If having it enabled is what the setting is "supposed to be" why isn't it enabled by default? The problem with them tweaking the settings to optimize both systems is that it could be misleading to uninformed consumers who either don't use HDMI and can't utilize the setting (if what Rath said is true) or are too clueless to enable it and would end up playing it at 'gimped' settings. Therefore they try to keep everything at standard default settings so anybody who just buys a PS3 or 360 and plays on it will get the output they observe in the comparison videos.

Also you're tremendously overstating the effect of using RGB and super white when you liken it to playing 360 in HD and PS3 in SD.

Late edit:  Rath is indeed right.  http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps3/current/settings/rgbfullrange.html

http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps3/current/settings/superwhite.html

Both require HDMI which GT can't record with as they stated.