By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Another form of proof that GameTrailers is not neutral

@azrm2k

I cant explain it, ssj12 surely can.

mM
Around the Network

Well that's why I'm here not at gametrailers, then again here, I'm surrounded by Nintendo fanboys.

cool48 said:
Well that's why I'm here not at gametrailers, then again here, I'm surrounded by Nintendo fanboys.

And PS3 fans. We have a significant number of those here.

Also a few dedicated X360 fans.

However for a gaming website we have a suprising lack of actual fanboys, I can count maybe 10-15 overall that I would count as fanboys pretty much evenly split between PS3/Wii and even a few 360 fanboys. Generally we just have people with a rational preference for a console rather than rabid foaming at the mouth fanboyism.

You know according to Sony the super white option has nothing to do with the games

"Super-white signal can be output when playing a DVD, Blu-ray Disc (BD), or AVCHD-format video. "

http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps3/current/settings/superwhite.html

The games are in RGB and the videos are often in Y Pb / Cb  Pr / Cr

As for The Full Vs Limited RGB debate. That's another matter and will depend on your screen. From what I gather by reading about RGB Full is 0 - 255 which is pc level rgb and RGB limited 16 - 235 is video levels

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=852410

Yes

Ion, that's interesting. I always assumed that all RGB was 0-255. I'll have to read up on that a bit.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Around the Network
leo-j said:
@azrm2k

Here's the thing.  I'm sure ssj12 and other users can explain in great detail the benefits of having Full range RGB and Super White enabled.  I'm not doubting the benefits.  What I am saying is that if neither console uses the settings with component output how is that biased?  GT can't record using HDMI due to HDCP so they use component cables.

In the end their current setup is a fair comparison between games because unlike what zackblue stated they are indeed using identical visual settings (AFAIK, for all we know they could be using an RF adapter on the PS3 to gimp it but that's another conspiracy thread for another day :P).

WTF are you talking about.

It says they perform the videos at essentially the same settings with the same cables. How more unbiased can they be?

leo-j said:
@azrm2k

So you literally do not know what you are talking about. Please stop trying to talk baout something you do not fully understand.

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229

superchunk said:

It says they perform the videos at essentially the same settings with the same cables. How more unbiased can they be?

IMO if they cant capture the video using HDMI then they arent qualified to hold comparisons.
its like reviewing Crysis with an old computer and showing their video review to everyone.
hey why not compare the ps3 and xbox360 using sdtvs, you know, since theyre still using the same set up.

why not let the wii join in?
SMG versus Assasins creed on sdtvs... hmmm...
id say the Wii is almost as powerful as the Hi-def consoles.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------                         iclim4 - "The Friends Thread changed my life!" (Pervert Alert!)                                            Tags? 

iclim4 said:
superchunk said:

IMO if they cant capture the video using HDMI then they arent qualified to hold comparisons.
its like reviewing Crysis with an old computer and showing their video review to everyone.
hey why not compare the ps3 and xbox360 using sdtvs, you know, since theyre still using the same set up.

why not let the wii join in?
SMG versus Assasins creed on sdtvs... hmmm...
id say the Wii is almost as powerful as the Hi-def consoles.

Actually now that you mention it they refused to give Crysis the graphics award because their rig couldn't run it. I don't really agree with that but I can kind of see where they are coming from, if their rig can't run Crysis how many peoples will be able to?