By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Another form of proof that GameTrailers is not neutral

iclim4 said:
Rath said:

No because you can't set RBG to full unless you are using HDMI I believe.

(I could be completely wrong on this one however)

if your right then that would mean they set the ps3 to RGB limited to a device that expected RGB full.
since they dont use HDMI cables why would they hook the ps3 to a device that expected RGB full?

But the point is even if that is the case (we don't know if their device expects RGB full or not) they still would not unfairly disadvantage the PS3 as it would mean they set the 360 to RGB limited to a device that expected RGB full.

How can they be unfair when they use the same settings for both consoles because more advanced settings are unavailable with those cables and making a video comparison is impossible with HDMI cables?

Both consoles are disadvantaged by the lack of HDMI cable being used but if they could use HDMI cable forthere comparisons both consoles would have a graphical boost (though not necessarily as high for both) so while it is not a perfect comparison it is still better than nothing at all.

"I do not suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it"

Around the Network

LOL GT are morons, ahh i love being right.

So no PS3 game is ever shown any where near its best just because the weaker console aint as good as the PS3.

Rath said:

You are not wrong, iclim4 is grasping at straws here.

iclim4: Your analogy of using SDTV comparisons is misleading.  Comparing SDTV 360 footage to SDTV PS3 footage, while technically fair since both are equally watered down, is futile as both are intentionally handicapped beyond their recording capabilities.  You can't make a comparison video of graphics and decide to intentionally cripple them for fun and say it's still an accurate portrayal of their graphical capabilities.  And before you try to take that line and throw it back at me please be reasonable and actually read the rest of my argument, otherwise don't expect any response you have to be taken seriously.

The difference when using component cables instead of HDMI cables is that they aren't 'intentionally' crippling the footage in any way.  HDMI footage can't be captured unless they are using a debugging system procured from Sony as part of the developers kit.  I'm not sure if GT doesn't feel like forking out thousands for a debugging kit or if Sony decided game review sites can't have them as they aren't developing games per se but the end result is that they are forced to at best use component footage and therefore they are comparing the games with the highest quality image that they possibly can and have both systems at equal settings. 

It's not misleading as you state and the notion that they shouldn't even post comparison videos is idiotic.  There are many graphical issues that people can observe from these comparison videos to make a purchasing decision that aren't affected at all by enabling Full RGB or Super White such as framerate issues or in the case of the Orange Box video the loading times.  Therefore they do still serve a purpose and I can easily understand why they state the videos are there to help inform customers.

@ssj12:  Any evidence that component gives even the limited boost to the RGB signal that you state?  Everything I can find states the contrary.  Infact as far as I can tell HDMI 1.3 is required to take advantage of superwhite. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XvYCC  (XvYCC is the internation terminology used for the technology Super White takes advantage of as stated by Sony at http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps3/current/settings/superwhite.html)

@mars:  You can't honestly be serious and assume that they are using component cables because of the 360 even after everything that's been stated in the last two pages.  Unless you are a joke account ala SDF please try reading past the OP before you post.

azrm2k said:
Rath said:

iclim4: Your analogy of using SDTV comparisons is misleading.  Comparing SDTV 360 footage to SDTV PS3 footage, while technically fair since both are equally watered down, is futile as both are intentionally handicapped beyond their recording capabilities.  You can't make a comparison video of graphics and decide to intentionally cripple them for fun and say it's still an accurate portrayal of their graphical capabilities.  And before you try to take that line and throw it back at me please be reasonable and actually read the rest of my argument, otherwise don't expect any response you have to be taken seriously.

The difference when using component cables instead of HDMI cables is that they aren't 'intentionally' crippling the footage in any way.  HDMI footage can't be captured unless they are using a debugging system procured from Sony as part of the developers kit.  I'm not sure if GT doesn't feel like forking out thousands for a debugging kit or if Sony decided game review sites can't have them as they aren't developing games per se but the end result is that they are forced to at best use component footage and therefore they are comparing the games with the highest quality image that they possibly can and have both systems at equal settings. 

It's not misleading as you state and the notion that they shouldn't even post comparison videos is idiotic.  There are many graphical issues that people can observe from these comparison videos to make a purchasing decision that aren't affected at all by enabling Full RGB or Super White such as framerate issues or in the case of the Orange Box video the loading times.  Therefore they do still serve a purpose and I can easily understand why they state the videos are there to help inform customers.

@ssj12:  Any evidence that component gives even the limited boost to the RGB signal that you state?  Everything I can find states the contrary.  Infact as far as I can tell HDMI 1.3 is required to take advantage of superwhite. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XvYCC  (XvYCC is the internation terminology used for the technology Super White takes advantage of as stated by Sony at http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps3/current/settings/superwhite.html)

@mars:  You can't honestly be serious and assume that they are using component cables because of the 360 even after everything that's been stated in the last two pages.  Unless you are a joke account ala SDF please try reading past the OP before you post.

im basing off my own eyes. I see a minor improvement in the colors with both on. Its marginal but I believe there is something. 

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

darconi said:
hell, the PS3 doesn't even come with an HDMI cable, if i recall, it only comes with composite doesn't it? So its a completely fair comparison.

Ok,  have to call you out for total fanboy craziness here :p

The PS3 doesn't come with a display device, so we should not compare visuals.

The PS3 doesn't come with speakers, so we should not compare audio.

The PS3 does not come with two contolers, so we should never compare multiplayer games.

Come on... buy a 5 dollar cable and get over it.

Around the Network

leo, you do understand that GT has got to be the biggest haven ever for ps3 fanboys, its unreal at most points.

Seriously, i got hit -10 in votes because i said i cant wait for fable on a fable preview video, i mean for the love of hell.

Owner of all consoles cept DS.....Currently in love with prototype!

azrm2k said:

not really grasping, i was seriously asking a question on how they captured the ps3 vid.
its more of a theory thing..

"It's not misleading as you state and the notion that they shouldn't even post comparison videos is idiotic.  There are many graphical issues that people can observe from these comparison videos to make a purchasing decision that aren't affected at all by enabling Full RGB or Super White such as framerate issues or in the case of the Orange Box video the loading times.  Therefore they do still serve a purpose and I can easily understand why they state the videos are there to help inform customers. "

i guess im an idiot according to you then.....

im guessing that you havent seen their comparison videos...

heres one
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/28006.html

and guess what GT's comment says

"Which system gets the graphical short end of the stick?"

thats right, they dont care about loading times and framerate issues.

fyi the ps3 version doesnt really look like that it actually looks exactly like the Xbox version(in my eyes atleast), i think this video is what sparked this whole ordeal in the first place.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------                         iclim4 - "The Friends Thread changed my life!" (Pervert Alert!)                                            Tags? 

MrMafoo said:
darconi said:
hell, the PS3 doesn't even come with an HDMI cable, if i recall, it only comes with composite doesn't it? So its a completely fair comparison.

Ok, have to call you out for total fanboy craziness here :p

The PS3 does not come with two contolers, so we should never compare multiplayer games.

Yea a $5 cable.  Oh and $10,250 (http://www.gamespot.com/news/6183089.html) for a development kit which can get around the whole HDCP issue and record HDMI footage.  And then to make sure the comparison videos are fair which is what this whole issue is about we need to find an equivalent solution for the 360. 

MrMafoo said:
darconi said:

Ok, have to call you out for total fanboy craziness here :p

No, the PS3 coming with the standard cables is in fact shit.  They advertise it as the big HD machine that displays in beautiful HD power, they use their snake in the grass technique to sneak BluRay into your home, and you're not telling me you're not upset you had to buy cables for your system?

I can understand not putting HDMI cables in the box, but not even putting  component cables in the box is shit.

Sri Lumpa said:
iclim4 said:

if your right then that would mean they set the ps3 to RGB limited to a device that expected RGB full.
since they dont use HDMI cables why would they hook the ps3 to a device that expected RGB full?

But the point is even if that is the case (we don't know if their device expects RGB full or not) they still would not unfairly disadvantage the PS3 as it would mean they set the 360 to RGB limited to a device that expected RGB full.

How can they be unfair when they use the same settings for both consoles because more advanced settings are unavailable with those cables and making a video comparison is impossible with HDMI cables?

Both consoles are disadvantaged by the lack of HDMI cable being used but if they could use HDMI cable forthere comparisons both consoles would have a graphical boost (though not necessarily as high for both) so while it is not a perfect comparison it is still better than nothing at all.

im guessing you also havent seen a GT comparison video.

the xbox360 version looks fine but the ps3 version looks washed out.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------                         iclim4 - "The Friends Thread changed my life!" (Pervert Alert!)                                            Tags?