By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Another form of proof that GameTrailers is not neutral

The 360 does run HDCP, but only for HDDVD films - which is why you have to use HDMI or VGA to get 1080p with movies. Although I honestly have no clue why the PS3 would do HDCP with games. Maybe to protect potential movie trailers/footage with movie based games?

Oh, and ssj12 I look forward to you finding a link to support your fraps claim. Until then I'll just assume that you severely misunderstood something, or just pulled information out of your ass.

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

Around the Network
CrazzyMan said:
@Rath,
just look at those NGS pics, with RGB FULL OFF, TEXTURES look WASHED/BLURED.

Off:

On:

Sweet, lost shadow detail and blown highlights... all because a guy is too stupid to change the "brightness" and "saturation" settings on his TV.

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

Bodhesatva said:

Just in case people needed this further disproved:

I hadn't known this (Rocketpig, can you confirm this?) but apparently the Xbox360 does not run HDCP. Therefore, it would be completely possible to capture video via HDMI from the Xbox360.

However, GameTrailers still captures Xbox360 material through component cables, because they want to be fair and they want to use the standard setup available with each and every console and SKU.

Why doesn't Gametrailers use HDMI through the 360, even though they can, and an HDMI cable actually comes with one of the 360 SKUs? Clearly, GT is biased against the 360! They aren't even using everything that comes with the system!

I don't think it does. There's no reason for it, the 360 only uses DVDs.

edit: I see that Sienr pointed out that HD-DVD uses it. That makes sense since HD formats are why HDCP was created in the first place. 

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

sieanr said:
CrazzyMan said:
@Rath,
just look at those NGS pics, with RGB FULL OFF, TEXTURES look WASHED/BLURED.

Sweet, lost shadow detail and blown highlights... all because a guy is too stupid to change the "brightness" and "saturation" settings on his TV.

I do find it funny how people think overly saturated colors and crushed blacks mean "quality image".

Just like how people think LCD pictures look better because they're brighter and overly saturate color in many cases (not saying all LCDs do this but many do).

While the black levels in that first PS3 image are definitely washed out a bit, the bottom image is no better with its bright colors and crushed blacks. They're both bad examples, just at different ends of the spectrum.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Sri Lumpa said:
Yes I have seen a few of them but what does the fact that the PS3 version look washed out means to the fairness of the comparison?

Is your argument "The PS3 version looks like shit therefore the comparison is biased"? 

Because that seems to be what it is from the above post and you are getting things backward; it should be: are they using the same standard fo comparing the 360 and PS3 version: Yes (both Component so no UltraWhite or FullRGB...), hten the comparison is fair. 

Then you can ask: Is the PS3 version looking like shit? 

And the answer to that question is the conclusion but is shouldn't be the premise of whther the comparison is biased or not.

Now you can keep complaining that the PS3 looks better than the 360 over HDMI and you probably are right but if GT can't compare them that is because of the big Hollywood studios's forcing HDCP for content going through HDMI cables and guess what company happens toalso be a big hollywood studio? That's right, Sony is; therefore it's their own damn fault if GT can't compare the PS3 to the 360 in the best possible condition (not that they care about GT comparison more than HDCP but whatever).

So stop bitching at GT for being unable to do what Sony chose to prevent them and us to do and bitch at Sony for crippling themselves.

so you agree that the AC video showed a crippled ps3 version? 

so because sony prevented them from copying hdmi videos they are excused for making innaccurate representations of a game? do you seriously believe that?

AC doesnt look that shitty in any normal tv, Gt knows that, they probably tried both versions on a real tv and found the differences non noticeble, but they opted to half-ass capture the video, where they noticed a big difference because of their capture cards. knowing the game is not supposed to look like that, they still opted to upload the video and claim thats what it would look like(they also opted not to explain that it looks the same if not captured by their capture cards)
to add insult to injury they added this to the video comment

"Which system gets the graphical short end of the stick?"

when they knew both games looked the same on any normal tv. i would be inclined to think that they wanted fanboy wars to happen to get more hits. now they have the gall to say

"We create them so that people who own both systems can be a little more informed on which version to buy. It's the fanboys that turn the comments section for these videos into a debacle."

to inform? where was the load time issues? the framerate issues? all they had to say was:

"Which system gets the graphical short end of the stick?"

so i called bullshit on GT and their ridiculous PR spin, and people here actually tell me to stop bitching at them?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------                         iclim4 - "The Friends Thread changed my life!" (Pervert Alert!)                                            Tags?