By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Another form of proof that GameTrailers is not neutral

FJ-Warez said:
ssj12 said:
rocketpig said:
Diomedes1976 said:
For gods sake GT even used for the Orange Box comparision a PS3 shot while using the autosave option to show the frame rate issue,they are either complete nerds or are biased to the bone.

Isn't Autosave on by default?

what he is saying is the capturedthe game autosaving and calls the autosave lag.

Wasn't the same for both versions???

Is not the default setting in both versions???

should be... I have no idea what his point was either i jsut restated what he said so you guys could understand. 

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Around the Network

@leo-j:
if the ps3 can LOOK BETTER than dont make the comparison with ps3 limited, and 360 not.

BUT THAT'S THE THING! The 360 is limited exactly like the PS3! The 360 in component mode can't take advantage of Full Range RGB and even with HDMI it can't use superwhite since the Elite only has HDMI 1.2 and superwhite was added with HDMI 1.3. You are stating that you think the PS3 is limited and the 360 isn't but you are flat out WRONG! Please show me any evidence, hell whip up a geocities page, that states the 360 can magically use Full Range RGB with component cables and the PS3 can't.

ssj12 said:
rocketpig said:
I have Googled every combination of Fraps and HDMI that I can think of and have yet to come up with one example of a person successfully recording from an outside source using HDMI.

It's not that I don't believe you but I'm skeptical until I see a working example of someone doing this.

your not finding it becasue the way I'm saying isnt

A. practical

B. Easy to Do

C. Cheap (need second monitor)

D.  theres easier way to record using components. 

My way I possible as there is no logical way it wouldnt work but its jsut a major pain in the ass to setup correctly to work let alone need a PC that can handle it. 

I'm skeptical as to whether it would work because if it did, what would stop people from capturing full Blu-ray movies through the same method?

It may be expensive but somebody out there would be doing it if it was possible, especially for Blu-ray.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

leo-j said:
@rocketpig

No because the outcome is fanboyish, if the ps3 can LOOK BETTER than dont make the comparison with ps3 limited, and 360 not.

They are both limited to an identical degree. The 360 can use an HDMI port just as easily as a PS3 and I have to believe it would get a similar level of graphical improvement. Can you explain why using it would only improve the visuals on the PS3?

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229

leo-j said:
GooseGaws said:
HOLY CRAP. The RGB settings are NOT relevant to this debate, as they use COMPONENT connections for BOTH systems!

They are not "afraid" to show the HDMI output for the PS3 because the "optimizations" make it look better than 360 (which is a complete load anyway). They are simply unable to record the output. Geez, fanboys are ridiculous.

Then why make a stupid comparison at all?

If I have HDMI and own both a 360 and ps3 I want to know which version has better graphics, if there bull $hit vids shows the 360 looking better I would buy the 360 version.

They are making a comparison video using the SAME OUTPUT TYPE.  Which is COMPONENT.  For BOTH SYSTEMS.  To COMPARE with each other.

Component doesn't have "limits" on RGB output, there are no "limited" or "full" settings to be tweaked.  It's really not hard to understand.

Hates Nomura.

Tagged: GooseGaws - <--- Has better taste in games than you.

Around the Network

Man, this thread has given me whole new perspectives on people, especially SSJ.

Really interesting debate on what is possible and what is right and SSJ and quite a few others are doing a really nice job at reasoned and informed debate. Quite impressive really.

azrm2k said:

iclim4 said:

yes but im trying to prove a point that GT sucks at comparison videos and should not be trusted,
youre the one who keeps insisting that its still very usefull for comparing games, for framerate and load times.
plus you called me an idiot
and apparently MrMafoo agrees with me the GT sucks at comparison vids!
its 2 against 1 give it up

Misunderstanding here.  I never meant to call you an idiot.  I said your notion was idiotic.  I have plenty of stupid ideas all the time but I don't consider myself an idiot.   Sorry if you got upset.

wasnt offended at all, hence the smiley face.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------                         iclim4 - "The Friends Thread changed my life!" (Pervert Alert!)                                            Tags? 

ssj12 said:
Bodhesatva said:
leo-j said:
GooseGaws said:
HOLY CRAP. The RGB settings are NOT relevant to this debate, as they use COMPONENT connections for BOTH systems!

They are not "afraid" to show the HDMI output for the PS3 because the "optimizations" make it look better than 360 (which is a complete load anyway). They are simply unable to record the output. Geez, fanboys are ridiculous.

Then why make a stupid comparison at all?

If I have HDMI and own both a 360 and ps3 I want to know which version has better graphics, if there bull $hit vids shows the 360 looking better I would buy the 360 version.

Ahhh. Someone listen to me! Please! Listen!

You cannot record through HDMI. It isn't possible on a retail PS3. It IS NOT POSSIBLE. Even if they wanted to, they could not record for GameTrailers via HDMI. Do I need to ay this in any other way?

actually you can.. Gametrailers is just a bunch of retards working the tech side.

FRAPS WTF!!!

Wouldn't you need to hook this up via a computer? Wouldn't it need to be compatable with HDCP? 

I'd assume this doesn't work, simply because it would make Blu Ray movies recordable and shareable with no hacks necessary, but maybe I'm wrong. 

Edit: looks like Rocketpig got to all this first. As has been said, even if this did work, it's incredibly impractical. Such a hookup would be unfair. What isn't unfair -- and is in fact entirely appropriate -- is using factory default settings for both machines. No fuss, no copyright problems. 

Which reminds me: another way to do this is to use a debug PS3, not a retail one. Which would also be sillyy. Gametrailers is using default retail specs, and it would actually be inappopriate to go way out of their way to make the PS3 look better (by actually using a non-commercial PS3 that a normal consumer could not possibly own, or to hook a PS3 up through a PC and use two displays and so forth in such a complicated, messy scheme) than to simply allow both to stand on their own.

Again, still no answer for this: what's so wrong about using factory standard settings for both systems? That seems like a completely balanced and appropriate way to display these games. What Leo-J is suggesting -- that Gametrailers go out of their way to make the PS3 look as good as possible -- that is what would be biased.  

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

iclim4 said:
Sri Lumpa said:
iclim4 said:

if your right then that would mean they set the ps3 to RGB limited to a device that expected RGB full.
since they dont use HDMI cables why would they hook the ps3 to a device that expected RGB full?

But the point is even if that is the case (we don't know if their device expects RGB full or not) they still would not unfairly disadvantage the PS3 as it would mean they set the 360 to RGB limited to a device that expected RGB full.

How can they be unfair when they use the same settings for both consoles because more advanced settings are unavailable with those cables and making a video comparison is impossible with HDMI cables?

Both consoles are disadvantaged by the lack of HDMI cable being used but if they could use HDMI cable forthere comparisons both consoles would have a graphical boost (though not necessarily as high for both) so while it is not a perfect comparison it is still better than nothing at all.

im guessing you also havent seen a GT comparison video.

the xbox360 version looks fine but the ps3 version looks washed out.

Yes I have seen a few of them but what does the fact that the PS3 version look washed out means to the fairness of the comparison?

Is your argument "The PS3 version looks like shit therefore the comparison is biased"? 

Because that seems to be what it is from the above post and you are getting things backward; it should be: are they using the same standard fo comparing the 360 and PS3 version: Yes (both Component so no UltraWhite or FullRGB...), hten the comparison is fair. 

Then you can ask: Is the PS3 version looking like shit? 

And the answer to that question is the conclusion but is shouldn't be the premise of whther the comparison is biased or not.

Now you can keep complaining that the PS3 looks better than the 360 over HDMI and you probably are right but if GT can't compare them that is because of the big Hollywood studios's forcing HDCP for content going through HDMI cables and guess what company happens toalso be a big hollywood studio? That's right, Sony is; therefore it's their own damn fault if GT can't compare the PS3 to the 360 in the best possible condition (not that they care about GT comparison more than HDCP but whatever).

So stop bitching at GT for being unable to do what Sony chose to prevent them and us to do and bitch at Sony for crippling themselves.

"I do not suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it"

Just in case people needed this further disproved:

I hadn't known this (Rocketpig, can you confirm this?) but apparently the Xbox360 does not run HDCP. Therefore, it would be completely possible to capture video via HDMI from the Xbox360.

However, GameTrailers still captures Xbox360 material through component cables, because they want to be fair and they want to use the standard setup available with each and every console and SKU. 

Why doesn't Gametrailers use HDMI through the 360, even though they can, and an HDMI cable actually comes with one of the 360 SKUs?  Clearly,  GT is biased against the 360! They aren't even using everything that comes with the system! 

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">