By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Nintendo gets a pass Just because they're Nintendo That Sony Isn't Allowed To Have

There was a nice graph on these forums a while back (just before E3) showing a running total of profit and loss made by each company. Now I wish I bookmarked that thread so I could paste that graph. Even through the worst times sale wise, the profit margins where just incredible.

Like others have said if anything Sony got the free pass this gen (and somewhat the VITA is getting one). With such crap sales initially you would thing companies would have dropped the system and did work for 360 which was booming. Nintendo despite winning console sale wise has not received the 3rd party support. Instead all we got was test games and shovelware to make profits for companies to help fund their HD projects instead of reinvesting the money back into Wii.

Around the Network

Nintendo should have made it their business to encorage third parties on the Wii. Heck look at MS with the xbox effort in Japan early on. Exclusives jrpgs left, right and centre. Sure Nintendo doesn't have the funds of MS, but they were certainly rolling in the dough for most of the gen. So imo lack of third party support was AT LEAST 50% Nintendo's doing (or lack thereof).

The only reason Nintendo had to support the Wii for themselves was because of the way they advertised the console. "It's a family console, even your grandparents will want to play!". And it was a genius movement. They aimed at the non-gaming audience - which is WAY larger than the gamers.
However, on the long run, things start to get ugly. It's easy to realize that - just look at the decline of Wii sales, while PS3 and Xbos sales stay stable and actually increasing.
Nintendo KNOWS that an approach exclusively to the casual market (which was the case of the Wii, as it got pretty much ZERO third-party support, despite being the absolute leader of the gen) works for the first 4 years or so of a generation - but after that, it's pretty much impossible to keep momentum. Recently, one of the big guys (I can't recall who), said that "the Wii is not a casual console". That's why I'm skeptical about the Wii U: casual gamers have no need to buy a new console (they already have a Wii), and Nintendo will have to directly compete with Sony and Microsoft for the gamer audience now.

And the OP does have a point: it's easy to see people bashing GoW Ascension for being "the same", but no one complains about New Super Mario Bros. 2/U. Since the Wii and DS, everything Nintendo does is "innovative" and "revolutionary".

Lucky? Haha, Nintendo knew exactly what they were doing

Been away for a bit, but sneaking back in.

Gaming on: PS4, PC, 3DS. Got a Switch! Mainly to play Smash

The PS3 would have won the gen. PS3 fans however would stay out of EVERY internet debate :P

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Around the Network
EdHieron said:
JoeTheBro said:
Roma said:
lol haha

so will this be a 200+ post thread?

lol at some other posts. yeah Nintendo brainwashed us into thinking their games are some of the best out there

who are these new users?

I'm assuming I'm one of the guys you're talking about. It's pretty obvious most people buy Mario games because Mario is in them. You can be cynical and consider it brainwashing but it is far less evil. It's a lot like coca-cola actually. As a drink it can't really be in a league of its own based solely off taste. Instead Coca-Cola is marketed and designed to make you think it is. When you drink a coke they want you to maybe remember sharing one with your dad or hanging out with friends. Subconsciously they want you to associate their drink with happiness. Nintendo doesn't flat out explain this association like Coca-Cola does but it is still there. The other system makers get similar effects but Nintendo is by far the best at it. If I said "Super Mario Bros.", positive feelings will instantly fill your head.

Oh yes they do.

http://youtu.be/EJWgPB1nBP4

Hahaha wtf was that? That chick made Reggie look good!

With Wii, Nintendo just get luck? Seriously??!
and gamecube HD?

From 2005, Inresponse to Ken Kutaragi's inference of working more hours for a PS3:

I dunno, call me a fanboy, but I still hold respect for this guy. Sure, what he says may sound wierd at times, but let us see the big picture here. The PS3 could be a make-or-break product, so understandably, Sony has to pull all the stops to try to create as much hype as they can. I mean, c'mon, probably hundreds of millions of dollars have been spent on the PS3. So, if he's gotta say some things to help increase potential sales, then GO FOR IT! Ok, I'm done...*crawls back under his PS2*

Kutaragi is as clueless as a guy who sold more than 90M video game consoles in the US and more than 200M worldwide. No more no less. 

Microsoft is as clueless as a company that sold 15M video game consoles in the US and less than 25M worldwide. No more no less. 

We can all draw our own conclusions.

The way I see it, the PS3 is an extremely fast PC specialized to play games. 

In that sense, I am ready to pay up to $800 for it. 
If the games end up being mind blowing, I am sure other gamers will pay as much. 
I am not talking about people who don't have jobs or any disposable income. 

This happeneds everywhere. Just accept it as a fact of Fanboydom. 

EdHieron said:

Nintendo gets a pass Just because they're Nintendo That Sony Isn't Allowed To Have.

Imagine for a moment that Sony had come out at E3 2006 and announced that they were just releasing a budget console for $250.00 that was only a couple of times more powerful than the PS2

Why Sony got a pass just because they're Sony that Nintendo wasn't allowed to have?

Sony released two budget consoles that had not much more power than their predecessors, they made the least powerful consoles of their respective gens.

EdHieron said:

and they were going to stop making or having as many core games  like God of War, Tekken, Gran Turismo, Final Fantasy, and Metal Gear Solid on their next console

Sony don't make Tekken, Final Fantasy and Metal Gear Solid. Namco Bandai, Square Enix and Konami could very well decide to not support PS4 and Sony can do nothing about that.

And the first party titles: Sure, Nintendo didn't produced titles for their well known game-series for Wii like Zelda, Mario, Fire Emblem, Metroid, Smash Bros., Mario Kart etc. That may be well the reason, the Wii failed...

EdHieron said:

but instead that they wanted to concentrate on motion control sports, dance, and fitness titles.

Well, I may remember wrong, but Dance Dance Revolution was a PS2-title. Like Buzz, Singstar and other casual crap.

EdHieron said:

What do you think would have happened to their stock prices, and their investors, and their reputation in the industry if they did that?  Basically they would have been dead in the water on that day.

Yes, Sony was so dead in the water back in the PS1 and PS2 days. I remember that well!

EdHieron said:

However due to their failures in the N64 and Gamecube eras, Nintendo was able to step in with a new idea, get lucky with it, and apparently it's the best thing ever.

People tend to not realize that Nintendo just got lucky with the Wii this gen.  Meanwhile, Sony's done an excellent job with a console that cost $600 at launch.

Nintendo copied the concept of the PS1 and PS2: They made a cheap but not powerful console. They made casual titles for it.

At the same time Sony gave up on the concept that made the first two Playstations successful: they made a powerful but expensive console, they concentrated on games like God of War, that have a loud fanbase, but does not sell so much consoles like Singstar did at PS2-days. Maybe they go back to the winning formula in the next-gen.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

EdHieron said:
I didn't say anything about "real" gamers leaving Nintendo's boat to join Sony and Microsoft, and if they did that ( which probably a lot of them did) they did it in earlier gens and not this gen.  However, a number of them did stick around during the N64 years and Gamecube years if forum posts are anything to go by, and they're the ones that seem to praise games like Wii Sports and Wii Fit for being some of the best games ever due to their company loyalty and to insist that things like metacritic scores of those games must be wrong because according to them those games are all better than the likes of Uncharted. However, from my experience, I hardly ever hear them criticize Nintendo for not doing things like innovating by releasing new core ips.

Now a lot of us thought that if Nintendo really did take off in popularity again what they would do is just drop all this casual fluffbunny stuff and begin to concentrate exclusively on bringing out the best core experiences again;  however, that's very much not what they've done.  And, if I was to praise one thing about Nintendo fans it would be the Operation Rainfall campaign; however, it took only the greatest effort to get Nintendo to release those three titles.

You construct a virtual 'Nintendo-fan that has sticked around in the N64 and GC days and is praising Wii Fit over Uncharted'. I don't think such a fan exists. Even if one or two of such a strange creature exists, they are rare. Most fans of Nintendos core-IPs stick to Nintendo, because they didn't gave up, Wii got Zelda, Metroid, Fire Emblem, Mario. Also you could argue, that in at least one aspect, Wii Fit IS a better game as Uncharted, it clearly sells better. But overall I think, the fans of Wii Fit don't buy Zelda and vice versa. They're two separate demographics.

And, Nintendo did release the Rainfall-games without fan-involvement - here in Europe and in Japan. That Nintendo of America is crazy should show you, that you better import Nintendo-consoles from Europe.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]