By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Nintendo gets a pass Just because they're Nintendo That Sony Isn't Allowed To Have

Failure should be measured by how much money is lost in the process of selling units not the total number of units sold. Yes, PS1 and PS2 were very successful for Sony but N64 and GC both made Nintendo money. In my eyes, if the console keeps the company in the green then it becomes a success. Sony has been fighting an uphill battle with the PS3. Sony become ignorant with the success of their previous consoles, stating that people will get a second job just to buy their system at $600. That proved to not be the case and not as many people wanted to spend that kind of cash at first. After a few price cuts the system is selling better in its 5/6th year than is was when it was first released. As great as the PS3 and XBOX are, both companies struggle to make money on their hardware and tend to rely on software sales

Larger companies have a hard time thinking at the same level as Nintendo. Sony focuses more on being the best most high-tech device and not really caring about price. Nintendo focuses on more innovative play experiences and uses existing affordable technology. Realistically, Nintendo can not financially compete at the same level as Sony and Microsoft, so it takes a different strategy for them to be successful and has nothing to do with luck!



Steam/Origin ID: salorider

Nintendo Network ID: salorider

PSN: salorider

3DS Friend Code: 4983-4984-4179

 

Around the Network
JazzB1987 said:
EdHieron said:

Nintendo gets a pass Just because they're Nintendo That Sony Isn't Allowed To Have.

Imagine for a moment that Sony had come out at E3 2006 and announced that they were just releasing a budget console for $250.00 that was only a couple of times more powerful than the PS2 and they were going to stop making or having as many core games  like God of War, Tekken, Gran Turismo, Final Fantasy, and Metal Gear Solid on their next console, but instead that they wanted to concentrate on motion control sports, dance, and fitness titles.  What do you think would have happened to their stock prices, and their investors, and their reputation in the industry if they did that?  Basically they would have been dead in the water on that day.

However due to their failures in the N64 and Gamecube eras, Nintendo was able to step in with a new idea, get lucky with it, and apparently it's the best thing ever.

People tend to not realize that Nintendo just got lucky with the Wii this gen.  Meanwhile, Sony's done an excellent job with a console that cost $600 at launch

You SOOOOOO  totally dont get what happened that its funny.

First of Nintendo did create the hardcore games. Mario Zelda Metroid etc. So this part of your text is nonsense.

Another thing is Nintendo did not annouce "WE ARE GOING TO DROP HARDCORE GAMES (which they did not) AND CONCENTRATE ON SHOVELWARE AND STUFF LIKE THAT"  As you said yourself this might kill a company.

What they did was: They showed the Wii and its futuristic controller. They showed a small teaser video for Metroid, red steel which locked awesome (but turned out okay at best) and some other stuff. The Wii didnt turn into what it is now in its first year. Plaqued by third party absence when it comes to GOOD games but at the same time plaqued by shovelware  made by the same third party devs and publishers  that dont support the wii with good games  Example CarnivalGames and Take2 which owns RockstarGames and 2k Games.

And btw  n64 and Cube are no failures. It might be a failure for you  but for me the n64 and cube were awesome. And Nintendo also didnt lose money   the money aspect alone shows that those 2 consoles were no failures   especially when they  made gaming better for all people by making analogs,  rumble feature and wireless controllers  todays standard.

Nintendo hasn't had most of the most highly regarded games of a console gen since the Super Nintendo which was about the same time they created the games you mention above.

In comparison, Sony's introduced five or six new core franchises this gen alone.  And as far as new ips go, Nintendo does seem to concentrate more on making games like Wii Sports than the kind of immersive experiences you find on the PS3.



mike_intellivision said:
EdHieron said:

Nintendo gets a pass Just because they're Nintendo That Sony Isn't Allowed To Have.

Imagine for a moment that Sony had come out at E3 2006 and announced that they were just releasing a budget console for $250.00 that was only a couple of times more powerful than the PS2 and they were going to stop making or having as many core games  like God of War, Tekken, Gran Turismo, Final Fantasy, and Metal Gear Solid on their next console, but instead that they wanted to concentrate on motion control sports, dance, and fitness titles.  What do you think would have happened to their stock prices, and their investors, and their reputation in the industry if they did that?  Basically they would have been dead in the water on that day.

However due to their failures in the N64 and Gamecube eras, Nintendo was able to step in with a new idea, get lucky with it, and apparently it's the best thing ever.

People tend to not realize that Nintendo just got lucky with the Wii this gen.  Meanwhile, Sony's done an excellent job with a console that cost $600 at launch.

Any company could have done what Nintendo did.

As for getting a "pass"-- everyone thought that Nintendo should just become a third pr software company because it's hardware was so poor.

Finally, it seems like Sony is getting the pass for its four years of losses and it's Wii-like non-selling Move,

 

Mike from Morgantown


Well, Sony has also put out the best new immersive experiences of any of the console makers this gen, you know games like Game of the Year Winner the Uncharted series and the upcoming The Last of Us.



In this industry just as in any industry, there is no pass. Sony's mistake are one, they abandoned the 'casuals' they gained during the PS1/PS2 era; two, they let their success with PS1 & PS2 get to their head by creating a super console; and finally, their biggest mistake is competing with Microsoft financially.

Nintendo didn't get a 'pass' during the N64 era nor did they with GC



EdHieron said:
mike_intellivision said:
EdHieron said:

Nintendo gets a pass Just because they're Nintendo That Sony Isn't Allowed To Have.

Imagine for a moment that Sony had come out at E3 2006 and announced that they were just releasing a budget console for $250.00 that was only a couple of times more powerful than the PS2 and they were going to stop making or having as many core games  like God of War, Tekken, Gran Turismo, Final Fantasy, and Metal Gear Solid on their next console, but instead that they wanted to concentrate on motion control sports, dance, and fitness titles.  What do you think would have happened to their stock prices, and their investors, and their reputation in the industry if they did that?  Basically they would have been dead in the water on that day.

However due to their failures in the N64 and Gamecube eras, Nintendo was able to step in with a new idea, get lucky with it, and apparently it's the best thing ever.

People tend to not realize that Nintendo just got lucky with the Wii this gen.  Meanwhile, Sony's done an excellent job with a console that cost $600 at launch.

Any company could have done what Nintendo did.

As for getting a "pass"-- everyone thought that Nintendo should just become a third pr software company because it's hardware was so poor.

Finally, it seems like Sony is getting the pass for its four years of losses and it's Wii-like non-selling Move,

 

Mike from Morgantown


Well, Sony has also put out the best new immersive experiences of any of the console makers this gen, you know games like Game of the Year Winner the Uncharted series and the upcoming The Last of Us.


How does this address the OP?  This sounds much more like someone who is trying to trump up Sony?

 



      


I am Mario.


I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

Around the Network

Sure PS2 had a lot of rubbish casaul games that appeal to the masses like buzz, singstar, Guitar Hero etc just like the Wii did. The difference between Sony and Nintendo was that Sony supported the PS2 and got the support of third parties throughout the gen with releases of flagship franchises such as MGS, Tekken, GTA, GT, Final Fantasy, God of War, Resident Evil, etc.

Nintendo on the Other hand only Supported the Wii by themselves for 4 years (being generous here) and the support from third parties flagship franchises were pretty non-existent (No FF, Tekke, GTA, Assins Creed etc). Whether this is due to Nintendo choice of Hardware spec or because Third parties weren't interested is irrelevant ; A console leading the gen SHOULD have the support of third parties throughout the gen and of course be supported by the console makers themselves. This is Nintendo 's biggest failing this gen.



TheFallen said:
Sure PS2 had a lot of rubbish casaul games that appeal to the masses like buzz, singstar, Guitar Hero etc just like the Wii did. The difference between Sony and Nintendo was that Sony supported the PS2 and got the support of third parties throughout the gen with releases of flagship franchises such as MGS, Tekken, GTA, GT, Final Fantasy, God of War, Resident Evil, etc.

Nintendo on the Other hand only Supported the Wii by themselves for 4 years (being generous here) and the support from third parties flagship franchises were pretty non-existent (No FF, Tekke, GTA, Assins Creed etc). Whether this is due to Nintendo choice of Hardware spec or because Third parties weren't interested is irrelevant ; A console leading the gen SHOULD have the support of third parties throughout the gen and of course be supported by the console makers themselves. This is Nintendo 's biggest failing this gen.

Yes, but we can blame the lack of support firmly on third parties, so there it is.



Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Really, since day 1 until today, people have been bashing the wii non stop; it has been doomed after doomed. Third parties have been ignoring the Wii, and we have seen how some of them didnt put any efforts on the console....

So, where is this fuckin pass people are talking about? o.O



There was a nice graph on these forums a while back (just before E3) showing a running total of profit and loss made by each company. Now I wish I bookmarked that thread so I could paste that graph. Even through the worst times sale wise, the profit margins where just incredible.

Like others have said if anything Sony got the free pass this gen (and somewhat the VITA is getting one). With such crap sales initially you would thing companies would have dropped the system and did work for 360 which was booming. Nintendo despite winning console sale wise has not received the 3rd party support. Instead all we got was test games and shovelware to make profits for companies to help fund their HD projects instead of reinvesting the money back into Wii.



 

 

Nintendo should have made it their business to encorage third parties on the Wii. Heck look at MS with the xbox effort in Japan early on. Exclusives jrpgs left, right and centre. Sure Nintendo doesn't have the funds of MS, but they were certainly rolling in the dough for most of the gen. So imo lack of third party support was AT LEAST 50% Nintendo's doing (or lack thereof).