By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Nintendo gets a pass Just because they're Nintendo That Sony Isn't Allowed To Have

EdHieron said:
RolStoppable said:
EdHieron said:
RolStoppable said:

A family console.

I have to take issue with the "Family Console" thing what Nintendo fans wanted was a console that was chock full of as many core games as the NES and SNES for the past two gens, they wanted Final Fantasy back as an exclusive on their console, and I really doubt the fanbase that made the original "Conker's Bad Fur Day" and "Perfect Dark" two of the biggest games of their time were really that concerned with having a family console.  I would say there would only be a handful of Nintendo fans saying after the success of the Super Nintendo and  prior to the success of the Wii as a family console that what they most wanted in Wii was a family console.

You always seem to be speaking of a subset of Nintendo fans who behave whichever way is convenient for your strawman arguments. As Khuutra already pointed out, your CBFD and PD claim is nonsense.

With Nintendo's sales going up with the Wii it's pretty clear that Nintendo did more things right with the Wii than with the GameCube. This includes sales of Nintendo's core IPs. Pretty much everything sold more than on the GameCube, so it's preposterous to argue that the Wii is less of a gamer console than the GameCube.

Except for the fact that its Top Ten is dominated by the likes of Wii Sports, Wii Sports Resort, Wii Play, Wii Fit, and Wii Fit Plus.

You dodged Rol's point completely. 3D Mario sold better, Smash Bros sold better, Wii version of Twilight Princess sold better and Skyward Sword matches Wind Waker, Metroid Prime 3 pegged between Prime and Prime 2, Resident Evil 4 did better, Mario Kart did about 5x better, Radiant Dawn was the best-selling Fire Emblem game for Western sales

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Around the Network

Someone gotta look up "jealousy" in an urban dictionary and link that page to this thread.

Nintendo played their cards right, allowing them to steal a great part of Sony's former casual userbase. It really is that simple.

Mr Khan said:
EdHieron said:
RolStoppable said:
EdHieron said:
RolStoppable said:

A family console.

I have to take issue with the "Family Console" thing what Nintendo fans wanted was a console that was chock full of as many core games as the NES and SNES for the past two gens, they wanted Final Fantasy back as an exclusive on their console, and I really doubt the fanbase that made the original "Conker's Bad Fur Day" and "Perfect Dark" two of the biggest games of their time were really that concerned with having a family console.  I would say there would only be a handful of Nintendo fans saying after the success of the Super Nintendo and  prior to the success of the Wii as a family console that what they most wanted in Wii was a family console.

You always seem to be speaking of a subset of Nintendo fans who behave whichever way is convenient for your strawman arguments. As Khuutra already pointed out, your CBFD and PD claim is nonsense.

With Nintendo's sales going up with the Wii it's pretty clear that Nintendo did more things right with the Wii than with the GameCube. This includes sales of Nintendo's core IPs. Pretty much everything sold more than on the GameCube, so it's preposterous to argue that the Wii is less of a gamer console than the GameCube.

Except for the fact that its Top Ten is dominated by the likes of Wii Sports, Wii Sports Resort, Wii Play, Wii Fit, and Wii Fit Plus.

You dodged Rol's point completely. 3D Mario sold better, Smash Bros sold better, Wii version of Twilight Princess sold better and Skyward Sword matches Wind Waker, Metroid Prime 3 pegged between Prime and Prime 2, Resident Evil 4 did better, Mario Kart did about 5x better, Radiant Dawn was the best-selling Fire Emblem game for Western sales

When you look at Nintendo 64 versus Wii, you see that Mario Kart Wii a Casual fun kids game did better on Wii, there wasn't a New Super Mario Bros. Wii type game on N64 to compare the two, the third iteration of Super Smash Bros. did better on Wii than the first one which came out late in the N64's lifespan.

However, you also see that  on N64 Super Mario 64 did better than Super Mario Galaxy and much better than Super Mario Galay 2, a core shooter like Golden Eye did much better than any core shooter on Wii.  The Legend of Zelda:  Ocarina of Time did better than Twilight Princess and much better than Skyward Sword, and with the Wii having a tremendously larger user base Donkey Kong Returns one of the few critic's darlings on Wii this gen just did a little bit better than Rare's Donkey Kong 64 which wasn't even one of the most heralded games by the critics of its time in comparison to other Rare titles .

And when you compare the list of the highest rated games on N64 the top rated N64 games tend to  have amuch stronger correlation in comparison to the top selling games on N64 than the highest rated games on Wii do to the top selling games on Wii.

In short, the N64 was much more of a gamer's console than Wii.

RolStoppable said:
EdHieron said:

I have no problem with Nintendo games being the bestselling games on a Nintendo system. What exactly is the problem with Wii Sports anyway?

When you look at the million sellers list of the 360 and PS3 you will find plenty of FIFA and Madden games.

But you'll also find the top selling game on each console being a highly rated core title.  The top selling game on Wii was an average critically rated pack-in that wouldn't have sold that well on any other console and that was successful not because of the motion controls or its quality but because of Nintendo being Nintendo.

Actually investors would probably love it if Sony did that. It would mean more sales for PS3. Everyone knows that casuals is where all the money is at. Microsoft already figured that out with Kinect.

Around the Network
Roma said:
lol haha

so will this be a 200+ post thread?

lol at some other posts. yeah Nintendo brainwashed us into thinking their games are some of the best out there

who are these new users?

I'm assuming I'm one of the guys you're talking about. It's pretty obvious most people buy Mario games because Mario is in them. You can be cynical and consider it brainwashing but it is far less evil. It's a lot like coca-cola actually. As a drink it can't really be in a league of its own based solely off taste. Instead Coca-Cola is marketed and designed to make you think it is. When you drink a coke they want you to maybe remember sharing one with your dad or hanging out with friends. Subconsciously they want you to associate their drink with happiness. Nintendo doesn't flat out explain this association like Coca-Cola does but it is still there. The other system makers get similar effects but Nintendo is by far the best at it. If I said "Super Mario Bros.", positive feelings will instantly fill your head.

I think its a good sign for Nintendo that they are even the center of attention in the Sony Discussion forums. Sony had 17 years now to slap a face on their brand like Nintendo did. Nintendo getting a pass is ridiculuous, they are taking so much heat from everywhere, it's not even funny anymore. How is that a pass? The Wii didn't succeed because it got a pass, it succeeded DESPITE getting shit on by the gaming media.

Ongoing bet with think-man: He wins if MH4 releases in any shape or form on PSV in 2013, I win if it doesn't.

RolStoppable said:
EdHieron said:

But you'll also find the top selling game on each console being a highly rated core title.  The top selling game on Wii was an average critically rated pack-in that wouldn't have sold that well on any other console and that was successful not because of the motion controls or its quality but because of Nintendo being Nintendo.

The vast majority of core titles on the 360 and PS3 didn't outsell Super Mario Galaxy which I think is the highest rated exclusive of the generation. I don't think it's justified to call the 360 and PS3 "gamer consoles".

Everyone knows Nintendo titles sell well. That is the problem. If it doesn't have that Nintendo mascot, it won't sell.

JoeTheBro said:
Roma said:
lol haha

so will this be a 200+ post thread?

lol at some other posts. yeah Nintendo brainwashed us into thinking their games are some of the best out there

who are these new users?

I'm assuming I'm one of the guys you're talking about. It's pretty obvious most people buy Mario games because Mario is in them. You can be cynical and consider it brainwashing but it is far less evil. It's a lot like coca-cola actually. As a drink it can't really be in a league of its own based solely off taste. Instead Coca-Cola is marketed and designed to make you think it is. When you drink a coke they want you to maybe remember sharing one with your dad or hanging out with friends. Subconsciously they want you to associate their drink with happiness. Nintendo doesn't flat out explain this association like Coca-Cola does but it is still there. The other system makers get similar effects but Nintendo is by far the best at it. If I said "Super Mario Bros.", positive feelings will instantly fill your head.

I prefer Pepsi myself

And no I don’t think a game is good because they make us think it is lol wtf! It is good because I like it and think it is good!

Hahahaha lol tis so funny  

I wish I was better at English to know the words to describe your kind

Its all one big lie guys! Nintendo games actually suck and these gentlemen are here to show us the light, the truth!

Wait now I don’t know if I know that I like it because I like or because I think I like it…

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

EdHieron said:

Nintendo gets a pass Just because they're Nintendo That Sony Isn't Allowed To Have.

Imagine for a moment that Sony had come out at E3 2006 and announced that they were just releasing a budget console for $250.00 that was only a couple of times more powerful than the PS2 and they were going to stop making or having as many core games  like God of War, Tekken, Gran Turismo, Final Fantasy, and Metal Gear Solid on their next console, but instead that they wanted to concentrate on motion control sports, dance, and fitness titles.  What do you think would have happened to their stock prices, and their investors, and their reputation in the industry if they did that?  Basically they would have been dead in the water on that day.

However due to their failures in the N64 and Gamecube eras, Nintendo was able to step in with a new idea, get lucky with it, and apparently it's the best thing ever.

People tend to not realize that Nintendo just got lucky with the Wii this gen.  Meanwhile, Sony's done an excellent job with a console that cost $600 at launch

You SOOOOOO  totally dont get what happened that its funny.

First of Nintendo did create the hardcore games. Mario Zelda Metroid etc. So this part of your text is nonsense.

Another thing is Nintendo did not annouce "WE ARE GOING TO DROP HARDCORE GAMES (which they did not) AND CONCENTRATE ON SHOVELWARE AND STUFF LIKE THAT"  As you said yourself this might kill a company.

What they did was: They showed the Wii and its futuristic controller. They showed a small teaser video for Metroid, red steel which locked awesome (but turned out okay at best) and some other stuff. The Wii didnt turn into what it is now in its first year. Plaqued by third party absence when it comes to GOOD games but at the same time plaqued by shovelware  made by the same third party devs and publishers  that dont support the wii with good games  Example CarnivalGames and Take2 which owns RockstarGames and 2k Games.

And btw  n64 and Cube are no failures. It might be a failure for you  but for me the n64 and cube were awesome. And Nintendo also didnt lose money   the money aspect alone shows that those 2 consoles were no failures   especially when they  made gaming better for all people by making analogs,  rumble feature and wireless controllers  todays standard.