By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Nintendo gets a pass Just because they're Nintendo That Sony Isn't Allowed To Have

Cool Story Bro.

Maybe it worked, and Nintendo were 'allowed' to do it because they innovated and saved their struggling business, whilst Sony went from being the outright winner last gen to trailing in 3rd because of bad business decisions?

Nintendo have made billions from the Wii, whilst Sony have lost billions from the PS3. No-one's 'allowed' a 'pass' for that. It's a great console with great games, and if you believe your OP, it's clear you've never played some of the best games this gen (2 Galaxies, 2 Zeldas, 2 Metroids, 2 Kirby, Xenoblade, MHTri, Goldeneye, NMH to name a few).

As a heads-up, your OP comes off as offensive and un-informed. "Nintendo wins the gen because of innovation and Sony lose because of complacency, I MUST COMPLAIN 5 YEARS LATE!"

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Around the Network
Legend11 said:
EdHieron said:

Nintendo gets a pass Just because they're Nintendo That Sony Isn't Allowed To Have.

Imagine for a moment that Sony had come out at E3 2006 and announced that they were just releasing a budget console for $250.00 that was only a couple of times more powerful than the PS2 and they were going to stop making or having as many core games  like God of War, Tekken, Gran Turismo, Final Fantasy, and Metal Gear Solid on their next console, but instead that they wanted to concentrate on motion control sports, dance, and fitness titles.  What do you think would have happened to their stock prices, and their investors, and their reputation in the industry if they did that?  Basically they would have been dead in the water on that day.

However due to their failures in the N64 and Gamecube eras, Nintendo was able to step in with a new idea, get lucky with it, and apparently it's the best thing ever.

People tend to not realize that Nintendo just got lucky with the Wii this gen.  Meanwhile, Sony's done an excellent job with a console that cost $600 at launch.

Were you not around when the Wii was getting bashed to hell on the Internet?  It sold the most consoles and was still neglected by many third parties.  Meanwhile the PS3 came out with a launch lineup that wasn't really that good, a price that was too high, and a new architecture that developers struggled with.  Yet people still bought the console and developers still supported it at their expense.  If it had been any other console but the PS3 it would have been a complete flop.  So who got the free pass again?

Exactly. Sony caught breaks that Nintendo would never get, and people act like Nintendo gets the free ride

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

RolStoppable said:
TheKingofRedLions said:
RolStoppable said:

Actually, most of Nintendo's success this generation comes from things that their fans wanted in an earlier gen, but didn't get. There's a reason why Nintendo kept losing fans for three generations straight and why these fans returned when the Wii was released.

What are the things Nintendo fans wanted earlier but didn't get until the Wii?

A family console.

EdHieron said:

Yeah because their fans wanted core experiences like Metal Gear, Final Fantasy, and Halo.  And now that they've come back they're just praising Nintendo for the few scraps Nintendo gives them like more Marios, and not giving them any flak for giving as much time to Wii Fit U  as to Mario at their recent E3 Press Conference rather than demanding that Nintendo shows off a new core experience as formidable as those in the best new core experiences that were hyped for the other consoles.

In your original post you were talking about E3 2006, now you are talking about E3 2012. The reaction to E3 2012 was widespread disappointment among Nintendo fans.

I have to take issue with the "Family Console" thing what Nintendo fans wanted was a console that was chock full of as many core games as the NES and SNES for the past two gens, they wanted Final Fantasy back as an exclusive on their console, and I really doubt the fanbase that made the original "Conker's Bad Fur Day" and "Perfect Dark" two of the biggest games of their time were really that concerned with having a family console.  I would say there would only be a handful of Nintendo fans saying after the success of the Super Nintendo and  prior to the success of the Wii as a family console that what they most wanted in Wii was a family console.

Ostro said:
EdHieron said:

I didn't say anything about "real" gamers leaving Nintendo's boat to join Sony and Microsoft, and if they did that ( which probably a lot of them did) they did it in earlier gens and not this gen.

Gotta admit I mixed your posts with someone else's .. ;) sorry

But still: why do you think the fans are still the same as the ones before and just defending due to their love? It's actually a lot of younger or newer gamers, as you mentioned yourself. They do not know much about Nintendo's past or how the competition became big, they are new to gaming.

I don't really like what Nintendo did myself but I notice that it's always the same. They are successful when they aim for new customers and family (NES + Wii). I don't believe people who loved any of the earlier Nintendo consoles really defend Nintendo all the time and praise the Wii beyond heaven. Maybe some games that don't feel party-ish or remind you of great games in the past.

I think the ones that defend Nintendo the most on boards are long time Nintendo fans since I don't think the younger or newer gamers would have as much knowledge as most of the bloggers do or as much of a commitment to Nintendo's history.

Metallicube said:
EdHieron said:

Nintendo gets a pass Just because they're Nintendo That Sony Isn't Allowed To Have.

Imagine for a moment that Sony had come out at E3 2006 and announced that they were just releasing a budget console for $250.00 that was only a couple of times more powerful than the PS2 and they were going to stop making or having as many core games  like God of War, Tekken, Gran Turismo, Final Fantasy, and Metal Gear Solid on their next console, but instead that they wanted to concentrate on motion control sports, dance, and fitness titles.  What do you think would have happened to their stock prices, and their investors, and their reputation in the industry if they did that?  Basically they would have been dead in the water on that day.

However due to their failures in the N64 and Gamecube eras, Nintendo was able to step in with a new idea, get lucky with it, and apparently it's the best thing ever.

People tend to not realize that Nintendo just got lucky with the Wii this gen.  Meanwhile, Sony's done an excellent job with a console that cost $600 at launch.

All I read from this post is "whaaaaaaaaaa!! Nintendo is in first this gen and my beloved Sony is not! WHAAAAAAAA!"

sales mean little. Gamers aren't on nintendo anymore. they moved when the gamecube was lol. then the wii came out and they loled more. the only reason nintendo sold so much this gen was the casual market surfaced for the first time for consoles. The sad thing is, even though this is true, I will still be marked as a troll and banned from this forum ( again).

but face it.  Nintendo's market this gen is 2 age groups

Kiddies 5-13 and older adults that are 30+ ( and lets face that they probably have kids)  you don't have 17 year old highschool or college students go out and say " lets game i brought my wii" 

sales nintendo will do fine, the gamer market nintendo lost 2 gens straight and most likely next gen as well.

Around the Network
JoeTheBro said:
I kinda see what you're saying. Like if I took a 2D Mario game and replaced the graphics with say Little Big Planet characters it would be considered only an ok game, even if mechanically it is identical. Nintendo has done an amazing job at convincing us their games are the best. This image combined with the success of the Wii makes most fans think Nintendo is invincible. Is that what you're getting at?

I was getting at something like that.

KungKras said:
First off, the Wii is better for Nintendo fans than the Gamecube was, many times over. We got two 3D Marios, two Zeldas, a 2D Mario, a new DKC, a Metroid Prime game, a Paper Mario game, a 2D Wario platformer, two Kirby games, the Virtual Console allowing you to play all the classics you might have missed out on, a Mario Kart with online, and a few really great RPG's published by Nintendo.

In the eyes of a core-nintendo-fan that isn't a graphics whore, the Wii ROFLstomps the Gamecube.

If anyone got a free pass this gen it's Sony. Any other console released that way would have gone the way of the Saturn, 3DO, or Jaguar. But the bias towards them persisted into this gen which became their saving grace.

Also, I wonder why a lot of newly registred users showed up after e3 2012 to bash Nintendo, hmmm.

im a core Nintendo fan and I like the GC better, please dont speak for us all

OT I think what the guy is trying to say, is that Ninty fans kinda gave it a free pass, which is silly. Ninty fans like Ninty games

lol haha

so will this be a 200+ post thread?

lol at some other posts. yeah Nintendo brainwashed us into thinking their games are some of the best out there

who are these new users?

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

Nintendo did not get lucky with the Wii, i like to see it as they brought something new to the industry that was a breath of fresh air. I mean Playstation 1 ,Playstation 2, Playstation 3 "Yawwwwnnn" and if im not mistaken isnt the Playstation move very Wii like. Nintendo had the balls to try something different and Sony got arrogant and complacent and lost the lead (and a shit load of money). Dont get me wrong i love my PS3,but talk about sour grapes.

EdHieron said:

I have to take issue with the "Family Console" thing what Nintendo fans wanted was a console that was chock full of as many core games as the NES and SNES for the past two gens, they wanted Final Fantasy back as an exclusive on their console, and I really doubt the fanbase that made the original "Conker's Bad Fur Day" and "Perfect Dark" two of the biggest games of their time were really that concerned with having a family console.  I would say there would only be a handful of Nintendo fans saying after the success of the Super Nintendo and  prior to the success of the Wii as a family console that what they most wanted in Wii was a family console.

Neither Conker's Bad Fur Day nor Perfect Dark ranked particularly high among the "biggest games of their time", your exaggeration is egregious in this case.