By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Nintendo gets a pass Just because they're Nintendo That Sony Isn't Allowed To Have

RolStoppable said:
EdHieron said:

Except for the fact that its Top Ten is dominated by the likes of Wii Sports, Wii Sports Resort, Wii Play, Wii Fit, and Wii Fit Plus.

I have no problem with Nintendo games being the bestselling games on a Nintendo system. What exactly is the problem with Wii Sports anyway?

When you look at the million sellers list of the 360 and PS3 you will find plenty of FIFA and Madden games.

But you'll also find the top selling game on each console being a highly rated core title.  The top selling game on Wii was an average critically rated pack-in that wouldn't have sold that well on any other console and that was successful not because of the motion controls or its quality but because of Nintendo being Nintendo.



Around the Network

Actually investors would probably love it if Sony did that. It would mean more sales for PS3. Everyone knows that casuals is where all the money is at. Microsoft already figured that out with Kinect.



EdHieron said:

But you'll also find the top selling game on each console being a highly rated core title.  The top selling game on Wii was an average critically rated pack-in that wouldn't have sold that well on any other console and that was successful not because of the motion controls or its quality but because of Nintendo being Nintendo.

The vast majority of core titles on the 360 and PS3 didn't outsell Super Mario Galaxy which I think is the highest rated exclusive of the generation. I don't think it's justified to call the 360 and PS3 "gamer consoles".



Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Shipments

Roma said:
lol haha

so will this be a 200+ post thread?

lol at some other posts. yeah Nintendo brainwashed us into thinking their games are some of the best out there


who are these new users?


I'm assuming I'm one of the guys you're talking about. It's pretty obvious most people buy Mario games because Mario is in them. You can be cynical and consider it brainwashing but it is far less evil. It's a lot like coca-cola actually. As a drink it can't really be in a league of its own based solely off taste. Instead Coca-Cola is marketed and designed to make you think it is. When you drink a coke they want you to maybe remember sharing one with your dad or hanging out with friends. Subconsciously they want you to associate their drink with happiness. Nintendo doesn't flat out explain this association like Coca-Cola does but it is still there. The other system makers get similar effects but Nintendo is by far the best at it. If I said "Super Mario Bros.", positive feelings will instantly fill your head.



I think its a good sign for Nintendo that they are even the center of attention in the Sony Discussion forums. Sony had 17 years now to slap a face on their brand like Nintendo did. Nintendo getting a pass is ridiculuous, they are taking so much heat from everywhere, it's not even funny anymore. How is that a pass? The Wii didn't succeed because it got a pass, it succeeded DESPITE getting shit on by the gaming media.



Ongoing bet with think-man: He wins if MH4 releases in any shape or form on PSV in 2013, I win if it doesn't.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
EdHieron said:

But you'll also find the top selling game on each console being a highly rated core title.  The top selling game on Wii was an average critically rated pack-in that wouldn't have sold that well on any other console and that was successful not because of the motion controls or its quality but because of Nintendo being Nintendo.

The vast majority of core titles on the 360 and PS3 didn't outsell Super Mario Galaxy which I think is the highest rated exclusive of the generation. I don't think it's justified to call the 360 and PS3 "gamer consoles".


Everyone knows Nintendo titles sell well. That is the problem. If it doesn't have that Nintendo mascot, it won't sell.



JoeTheBro said:
Roma said:
lol haha

so will this be a 200+ post thread?

lol at some other posts. yeah Nintendo brainwashed us into thinking their games are some of the best out there


who are these new users?


I'm assuming I'm one of the guys you're talking about. It's pretty obvious most people buy Mario games because Mario is in them. You can be cynical and consider it brainwashing but it is far less evil. It's a lot like coca-cola actually. As a drink it can't really be in a league of its own based solely off taste. Instead Coca-Cola is marketed and designed to make you think it is. When you drink a coke they want you to maybe remember sharing one with your dad or hanging out with friends. Subconsciously they want you to associate their drink with happiness. Nintendo doesn't flat out explain this association like Coca-Cola does but it is still there. The other system makers get similar effects but Nintendo is by far the best at it. If I said "Super Mario Bros.", positive feelings will instantly fill your head.

I prefer Pepsi myself

And no I don’t think a game is good because they make us think it is lol wtf! It is good because I like it and think it is good!

Hahahaha lol tis so funny  

I wish I was better at English to know the words to describe your kind

Its all one big lie guys! Nintendo games actually suck and these gentlemen are here to show us the light, the truth!

 

Wait now I don’t know if I know that I like it because I like or because I think I like it…

 



    R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(


EdHieron said:

Nintendo gets a pass Just because they're Nintendo That Sony Isn't Allowed To Have.

Imagine for a moment that Sony had come out at E3 2006 and announced that they were just releasing a budget console for $250.00 that was only a couple of times more powerful than the PS2 and they were going to stop making or having as many core games  like God of War, Tekken, Gran Turismo, Final Fantasy, and Metal Gear Solid on their next console, but instead that they wanted to concentrate on motion control sports, dance, and fitness titles.  What do you think would have happened to their stock prices, and their investors, and their reputation in the industry if they did that?  Basically they would have been dead in the water on that day.

However due to their failures in the N64 and Gamecube eras, Nintendo was able to step in with a new idea, get lucky with it, and apparently it's the best thing ever.

People tend to not realize that Nintendo just got lucky with the Wii this gen.  Meanwhile, Sony's done an excellent job with a console that cost $600 at launch

You SOOOOOO  totally dont get what happened that its funny.

First of Nintendo did create the hardcore games. Mario Zelda Metroid etc. So this part of your text is nonsense.

Another thing is Nintendo did not annouce "WE ARE GOING TO DROP HARDCORE GAMES (which they did not) AND CONCENTRATE ON SHOVELWARE AND STUFF LIKE THAT"  As you said yourself this might kill a company.

What they did was: They showed the Wii and its futuristic controller. They showed a small teaser video for Metroid, red steel which locked awesome (but turned out okay at best) and some other stuff. The Wii didnt turn into what it is now in its first year. Plaqued by third party absence when it comes to GOOD games but at the same time plaqued by shovelware  made by the same third party devs and publishers  that dont support the wii with good games  Example CarnivalGames and Take2 which owns RockstarGames and 2k Games.

And btw  n64 and Cube are no failures. It might be a failure for you  but for me the n64 and cube were awesome. And Nintendo also didnt lose money   the money aspect alone shows that those 2 consoles were no failures   especially when they  made gaming better for all people by making analogs,  rumble feature and wireless controllers  todays standard.



EdHieron said:

Nintendo gets a pass Just because they're Nintendo That Sony Isn't Allowed To Have.

Imagine for a moment that Sony had come out at E3 2006 and announced that they were just releasing a budget console for $250.00 that was only a couple of times more powerful than the PS2 and they were going to stop making or having as many core games  like God of War, Tekken, Gran Turismo, Final Fantasy, and Metal Gear Solid on their next console, but instead that they wanted to concentrate on motion control sports, dance, and fitness titles.  What do you think would have happened to their stock prices, and their investors, and their reputation in the industry if they did that?  Basically they would have been dead in the water on that day.

However due to their failures in the N64 and Gamecube eras, Nintendo was able to step in with a new idea, get lucky with it, and apparently it's the best thing ever.

People tend to not realize that Nintendo just got lucky with the Wii this gen.  Meanwhile, Sony's done an excellent job with a console that cost $600 at launch.

Any company could have done what Nintendo did.

As for getting a "pass"-- everyone thought that Nintendo should just become a third pr software company because it's hardware was so poor.

Finally, it seems like Sony is getting the pass for its four years of losses and it's Wii-like non-selling Move,

 

Mike from Morgantown



      


I am Mario.


I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

JoeTheBro said:
Roma said:
lol haha

so will this be a 200+ post thread?

lol at some other posts. yeah Nintendo brainwashed us into thinking their games are some of the best out there


who are these new users?


I'm assuming I'm one of the guys you're talking about. It's pretty obvious most people buy Mario games because Mario is in them. You can be cynical and consider it brainwashing but it is far less evil. It's a lot like coca-cola actually. As a drink it can't really be in a league of its own based solely off taste. Instead Coca-Cola is marketed and designed to make you think it is. When you drink a coke they want you to maybe remember sharing one with your dad or hanging out with friends. Subconsciously they want you to associate their drink with happiness. Nintendo doesn't flat out explain this association like Coca-Cola does but it is still there. The other system makers get similar effects but Nintendo is by far the best at it. If I said "Super Mario Bros.", positive feelings will instantly fill your head.

Oh yes they do.

http://youtu.be/EJWgPB1nBP4