By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - How long until PS3 overtakes the 360 in total sales?

Like NJ5 said, the holiday drop isn't over in Japan yet. But next week it will, and Jap PS3 sales will drop another 10K, which will give us a worlwide total with the PS3 - X360 being neck to neck.

So what does that tell us about the X360? Well it says that $350 is the pricepoint where it has to rely on good games to be on par with the Blu-ray equipped PS3 at $400.

But what's the next big thing that'll happen? MGS4 coming out? No, a X360 price drop, and there we have the X360 pulling ahead in ww sales once again.

Around the Network
leo-j said:
Well mister

avinash_tyagi

I just proved you wrong my friend ps3 will clearly make more than 120k this week, and will outsell the Xbox 360 by more than 20k.

No it won't. After Jap numbers are in, the ww lead for the PS3 will be only 10K. And next week: 0 lead.

Im suprised about something, not the ps360 but wii sales.. they are terribly low..

mM

In 2009.
I think the ps3 will pass the 360 around fall of 09-winter of 09.

Not a chance in 08' although I think it will probably cut the 360's lead NEARLY in half. Holiday of 08' is when the ps3 will make major gains on the 360...and should pass it buy Holiday 09'.

And yes, the 360 will probably have a price drop in the Spring...but I expect the ps3 to have a price drop in the Fall too (or at least a value adding package...like EU is getting).

Well, I now only have access to a PS3 & 360...Plan on buying a wii soon (lol, if I can ever find one available!) but will probably wait until some of the major RPG's come out like Dragon Quest & Tales, etc.

Anyhow, I'm so far behind in games to play that I'm not in a huge hurry (lol, haven't even gotten a chance to finish God of War II yet!) 

For the PS3 to pass the 360 any time soon, the 360 has to stop selling (and I think at some point it will).

When that happens is when the PS3 catches it. (well, shortly there after).

I would say late 2009.

Around the Network

There are too many Sonny-fans on this board. Those predictions are awful.

Slimebeast said:
There are too many Sonny-fans on this board. Those predictions are awful.

It's odd that if you think one thing is better than another, or that sales for one product will improve over another, you are a fanboy.

I bet there are people who predict this, that don't even like Sony, or the PS3. It's not becuse of favoritism, it's just a reality that when the 400 pound gorilla gets rolling, they will do what they have done so well in the past.

Haha, fanboy wishful thinking. So far the PS3 has rather been an ugly baboon.

lol @ ugly baboon comment. :D

Slimebeast said:
leo-j said:
ps3 will clearly make more than 120k this week, and will outsell the Xbox 360 by more than 20k.

No it won't. After Jap numbers are in, the ww lead for the PS3 will be only 10K. And next week: 0 lead.

I'm gonna guess you both wrong and say that the PS3 will outsell 360 by 15k this week. I do find it amusing that even the PS2 has been outselling the 360 for the last few weeks. As for the original question, I would guess Late '09 for PS3 passing 360 in total sales. In the short term, I expect the Blu-Ray win to keep the PS3 from falling off quite as rapidly as the 360.

My prediction (Jan 15th, 2008), total sales by end of 2008: Wii - 35 million X360 - 25 million PS3 - 21 million