Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo must approve Miiverse posts

In an interview at the E3 conference in Los Angeles on Tuesday, Iwata said Nintendo planned to use a three-prong approach to combat misbehavior.

The first is content filtering, which can be done with software that can scan for naughty words. That, of course, isn’t foolproof because gamers can be a deviously creative bunch when it comes to alternative spellings.

That’s why Iwata said the company was also planning to use a second method — “human resources.” Nintendo plans to hire people to monitor content on Miiverse.

The filtering will be done before the posts are published, Iwata said. With software, that can take a few seconds. But humans need a lot more time to manually sift through content.

As a result, there will probably be a delay between the time a user creates a post and when it appears in the Miiverse feed. How long depends on how many posts are created and how many people Nintendo has to do the work.

“The attraction of a social network is the immediacy of the feedback,” Iwata said. On the other hand, it’s absolutely essential that parents need to feel comfortable with Miiverse as a safe place for their children, he added.

That raises the question: What is an acceptable time lag that satisfies both requirements? Is it 30 minutes? Or three hours?

Iwata said that the company will monitor feedback from its users when the service launches to answer that question. “But personally, I think 30 minutes should be acceptable,” he said.

The third technique that Nintendo will employ will be the community itself, as users can flag inappropriate content. But that’s not ideal because it means that some people will almost certainly  have seen an offending post before it is taken down.

Link to article here

So what do you guys think? I think 30 minutes is way too long, they need come up with another way to monitor posts. Also what about privacy issues?

Around the Network

1. sounds expensive
2. sounds like a nanny state

Sounds like, if I'm hopping onto Miiverse to get help in a game like they advertise it, I'm going to be waiting for a hell of a long time for responses.

1/2 hour for my original post to show up, and at least 1/2 hour for people's responses to start showing up.

Might as well not even bother.

They should just set up a system where they have full-time moderators checking for people to flag inappropriate material, and they can hop to it as soon as the flag gets in. Not "ideal", but absolutely more ideal. And people who abuse the system get penalized just like people who post inappropriate material. It's quite simple really.

SW-5120-1900-6153

good grief... thats barmy.

and he sems to be plucking 30 mins out of thin air.

what is this based on?  how many people will be checking them? if you have tens of thousands of posts then wont these need a ridiculous amount of man power?

I'm not really here!

Waste of time. Waste of resources. We will find a way to do what we want. How about just do parental control. If you have bad language off you cannot talk to those with bad language on. Simple. Those with bad language off will have to wait 30 minutes and miss out on fun.

The NINTENDO PACT 2015[2016  Vgchartz Wii U Achievement League! - Sign up now!                      My T.E.C.H'aracter

Around the Network
thetonestarr said:

Sounds like, if I'm hopping onto Miiverse to get help in a game like they advertise it, I'm going to be waiting for a hell of a long time for responses.

1/2 hour for my original post to show up, and at least 1/2 hour for people's responses to start showing up.

They should just set up a system where they have full-time moderators checking for people to flag inappropriate material, and they can hop to it as soon as the flag gets in. Not "ideal", but absolutely more ideal. And people who abuse the system get penalized just like people who post inappropriate material. It's quite simple really.

that exactly.   leave in the software automation for naughty words and let the users self police.  works well enough everywhere else.  if nintendo is afraid that kids might see naughty words then put in parental controlls.  but this is just a terrible way to move forward.

seriously, what's next?  if they are going to have a "roubust online" like they say then i ought to be able to chat with my people over a headset.   will they delay and moderate that too?  "they are flanking left"  *waits 30 mins, no response*  "fuck this shit".  *banned*.

I did wonder how they were going to deal with that... Ultimately i would say parental controls + filtering + user reporting system would do the work at much less expense to the company and (more importantly) inconvenience to the software.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Folks were actually planning on using this thing?

Really? Well fuck that. I don't need Nintendo censoring me. I like my posts to be in their raw, pure form. Shitty fuck titty cunt balls.

mZuzek loves Smeags. 😢

kitler53 said:
thetonestarr said:

that exactly.   leave in the software automation for naughty words and let the users self police.  works well enough everywhere else.  if nintendo is afraid that kids might see naughty words then put in parental controlls.  but this is just a terrible way to move forward.

seriously, what's next?  if they are going to have a "roubust online" like they say then i ought to be able to chat with my people over a headset.   will they delay and moderate that too?  "they are flanking left"  *waits 30 mins, no response*  "fuck this shit".  *banned*.

problem is, it's not just naughty words, you can post pictures/drawings aswell and parents might not be so happy if the start screen is full of genitals when their kids boot up the WiiU