By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo must approve Miiverse posts

maverick40 said:

In an interview at the E3 conference in Los Angeles on Tuesday, Iwata said Nintendo planned to use a three-prong approach to combat misbehavior.

The first is content filtering, which can be done with software that can scan for naughty words. That, of course, isn’t foolproof because gamers can be a deviously creative bunch when it comes to alternative spellings.

That’s why Iwata said the company was also planning to use a second method — “human resources.” Nintendo plans to hire people to monitor content on Miiverse.

The filtering will be done before the posts are published, Iwata said. With software, that can take a few seconds. But humans need a lot more time to manually sift through content.

As a result, there will probably be a delay between the time a user creates a post and when it appears in the Miiverse feed. How long depends on how many posts are created and how many people Nintendo has to do the work.

“The attraction of a social network is the immediacy of the feedback,” Iwata said. On the other hand, it’s absolutely essential that parents need to feel comfortable with Miiverse as a safe place for their children, he added.

That raises the question: What is an acceptable time lag that satisfies both requirements? Is it 30 minutes? Or three hours?

Iwata said that the company will monitor feedback from its users when the service launches to answer that question. “But personally, I think 30 minutes should be acceptable,” he said.

The third technique that Nintendo will employ will be the community itself, as users can flag inappropriate content. But that’s not ideal because it means that some people will almost certainly  have seen an offending post before it is taken down.

Link to article here

So what do you guys think? I think 30 minutes is way too long, they need come up with another way to monitor posts. Also what about privacy issues?

Isn't Miiverse a public forum kind of thing? Was never really private to begin with.

Around the Network
Byclop said:
miiverse=skynet

You are wrong

miiverse=the matrix

automated tools, human (agents).

This is just the first version of paradise, but its coming.

They just need to put in a word filter and eliminate picture posting because, face it, MiiVerse will be filled with crudely drawn penises in no time.

Before the PS3 everyone was nice to me :(

well, they only need to add software scans and parental controls so parents can restrict their children from adding friends, so they only see stuff from people they approve

having to restrict the whole thing, with a delay of 30 min's will make Miiverse very pointless, i mean, like they've shown, you are stuck somewhere and you ask for it, you will have to wait min 1 hour to get your answer, this sucks and makes the video they've shown pre-E3 totally misleading....

come on Nintendo, you don't have to ruin the great feature...

don't mind my username, that was more than 10 years ago, I'm a different person now, amazing how people change ^_^

Euphoria14 said:

Going to wait and hope this is a translation error. If not then there is no point in the Miiverse being a social hub.

11:32 AM: Euphoria14 types - "Hey everyone, getting ready to play some multiplayer Call of Duty, who wants to get a group going?"

12:02 PM Miiverse displays

12:05 PM: M.U.G.E.N types - "I'll get in on this! Send me an invite!"

12:35 PM Miiverse displays

12:37 PM: HappyDolphin types - "Can I join in?"

1:07 PM Miiverse displays

You mean

12:37 PM: HappyDolphin types - "Hey guys did you check out E3? I thought Nintendo's conference was ass!"

1:07 PM Miiverse displays: "Hey guys did you check out E3? I thought Nintendo(tm)'s conference was the best thing ever and I can't wait to play NintendoLand(tm) on launch!" 

Around the Network
Sal.Paradise said:
Euphoria14 said:

Going to wait and hope this is a translation error. If not then there is no point in the Miiverse being a social hub.

11:32 AM: Euphoria14 types - "Hey everyone, getting ready to play some multiplayer Call of Duty, who wants to get a group going?"

12:02 PM Miiverse displays

12:05 PM: M.U.G.E.N types - "I'll get in on this! Send me an invite!"

12:35 PM Miiverse displays

12:37 PM: HappyDolphin types - "Can I join in?"

1:07 PM Miiverse displays

You mean

12:37 PM: HappyDolphin types - "Hey guys did you check out E3? I thought Nintendo's conference was ass!"

1:07 PM Miiverse displays: "Hey guys did you check out E3? I thought Nintendotm's conference was the best thing ever and I can't wait to play NintendoLandtm on launch!" 

buhahahhahahha well played

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

you guys

LOL. It's not like they have access to the entire internet or something...

Nintendo has to walk a fine line. Because the second some 8 year old reads an F-bomb, it will be all over Fox News.

We don't know if the 30 minutes was (a) the average/normal time, (b) a maximum time, or something Iwata said off the top of his head that does not really indicate anything more than a random thought.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

I don't want to say anything positive about Playstation Home.....I really don't. It's actually killing me to do this but--they seem to have a pretty good system in place when it comes to censoring.