By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Devs: Next Xbox easiest to work with, Wii U "most challenging"

Translation: Microsoft's next console will use the same controller we've been developing for since 1997, and so will require very little thought or effort to design for. Nintendo's next console uses a controller that isn't a simple DualShock clone, and 22 people don't want to feel like they actually have to try.

Really, IGN? 35 people? That the most you could get?

Around the Network

It's way to early to tell how easy or not the next consoles are to work with first they actually have to finish some games for them then we get the real feedback of the developers.

VGKing said:
RolStoppable said:
It's going to be a great E3.

That's just your opinion.

The truth is that this E3 will be the worst yet. No Apple/Zynga or Facebook? E3 is as irrelevant as ever.

Not a fan of Apple but I wait until E3 is over to actually judge wheter or not it was great, decent, mediocre or terrible.

the_dengle said:
Translation: Microsoft's next console will use the same controller we've been developing for since 1997, and so will require very little thought or effort to design for. Nintendo's next console uses a controller that isn't a simple DualShock clone, and 22 people don't want to feel like they actually have to try.

Really, IGN? 35 people? That the most you could get?

The rest of the developers who actually like the Wii U are too busy making games for it to participate in IGN's silly little survey.

I stopped reading at 'anonymous'.

Seriously, who believes these guys? Just like all of the conflicting reports about WiiU's power, NOW we hear from sources that it's the easiest, AND the hardest to work with?

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Around the Network

"The next generation of consoles starts in 2013."

Ladies and gentlemen, IGN has spoken.

Well, the Wii was the easiest to develop for and had the worst third party support, so perhaps the Wii U being the hardest to develop for will have the best third party support? O_o

Mr Khan said:
The excuses continue.

And no, this post isn't ironic.

Totally agree.

N64 = oh it still uses cartriges (yet the console had some of the best game of the generation, OOT, perfect dark and goldeneye)

GCN = oh its half a dvd we cant fit our cinematics

Wii = it isn't powerful enough even though it was the market leader. Lets use it from shovelware to stay afloat from the failures on HD twins.

WiiU = too hard to think outside the square as the controller has a screen. If I was nintnedo after reading this crap I would provide a traditional controller option  to Wii U just to see what other excuse they use. I know wii remote and classic pro will work, but I hate the cord between the two.

Personally I am hoping that E3 will break the mold of this crap.

If nothing changes this nextgen, Nintendo needs to get aggressive and start buying studios so they only develop for Nintendo. Look what happened with Wii. They tried to spread their releases to give windows to third party as "oh we can't compete when Nintendo games come out" excuse was always used. In the end 3rd parties did nothing except release shovelware.. Sadly some of the best 3rd party games where ports like RE4 and ironically Godfather (great wii controls IMHO).

Solid-Stark said:
Snesboy said:
Solid-Stark said:
But I thought the WiiU was weak?

Not as weak as the shit 360 and PS3 with their pre RadeonHD/GTX GPUs

Calm down, I wasn't serious. I was being sarcastic.

Sorry. Still trying to get used to the newer users. Anyway, thanks for the heads up.

VGKing said:
Millenium said:

Good point, you could very well be right there.

Hope that's not going to become reason enough for major third part developers to shun the platform. If the WiiU doesn't take off as the Wii and it's not getting third-party support it could really get in trouble.

1) It has a tablet controller. Casuals will really like that.
2) I expect Sony and Microsoft to also release a tablet controller at some point for their next-gen systems.

1) Will they? The way I see it most casuals already have a tablet controller, their tablet. With the graphical capabilities of tablets quickly catching up to consoles, there won't be much of an incentive to buy the Wii U if you play games casually. Maybe some first party titles like Mario attract some, but it won't be enough imo. What attracted that audience to the Wii was that it was doing something brand new, something we hadn't seen in the mainstream before, and it was doing it really well. That same audience has now been gaming on tablets for the last 4 years, and pretty soon tablets will be able to connect to your TV and act like consoles. 

2) Sony and Microsoft already have their touch-gaming devices, Sony has PSVita and tablets, Microsoft will have windows 8 tablets, all that's needed there is better integration with Durango and Orbis and you've got your tablet controller. So I don't think developing a new tablet-like peripheral is a good idea when all you need is a firmware update in existing devices.