By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Devs: Next Xbox easiest to work with, Wii U "most challenging"

Silly devs...

Around the Network
Solid-Stark said:
But I thought the WiiU was weak?

Not as weak as the shit 360 and PS3 with their pre RadeonHD/GTX GPUs

All I read from this is "buy the next xbox, cause that's what we like." They even have "devs" to back them up.

JazzB1987 said:

So this basically means AAA devs are to stupid to make games with tablet support even tho indie devs can do it? FAIL

Having a AAA game make use of touch screen controls on a tablet is very challenging. Most devs will have to think of ways to use it and actually make sense.

FFS this is tryna kill my E3 hype.

Multiplatform games can simply reserve the tablet screen for a start menu or pause screen. How long would it take to make a screen that simply says pause or just stays blank?

Like Wii Motion, the tablet is a FEATURE of the controller, doesn't mean its mandatory. This one report, 3-4 days before E3 serves to negate all the previous positive feedback given since development on certain titles was openly spoken about.

Just for good measure they throw a statistic like 63% to show that the majority of the people they talked to are against 'Wii U' somehow. How many did they speak to anyways?

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

Around the Network
sensebringer said:
"After the self-destructive launch of the PlayStation Vita"

Here is a fine example of IGN and their trolling ways.

What did they even mean by that? 

osed125 said:
Adinnieken said:
osed125 said:

Didn't Vigil Games said that it only took like 2 lines of code to transfer the game from the screen to the controller?

I think the issue here is that third parties are to lazy to think in unique ways to use the controller, if that's the case then it will be the Wii situation all over again...

Transferring the display to the controller is probably easy.  Having both the TV and controller have individual displays of different content, probably not.  Not only that but it is resource intensive.

That may be true, but I remember Iwata said at some point that Nintendo wants the third party back on board on their consoles, he even said they would invest money in other to make so. If that's the case then I would assume that Nintendo made the Wii U as easy as possible for developers to work. 

I don't know much about game developing (so sorry if what I'm about to say doesn't make sense) but I imagine that the dev kit for the Wii U is somewhat similar to the DS (with more functions and power of course) which developers are already familiar with.

I can't say. 

What I can say is that Microsoft learned its lesson over decades of development tools and APIs, and eventually it released .Net.  The simple argument in the development world against .Net was that it was Microsoft's answer to Java, which in part it was.  However, it was also a shift in the responsibility of developers from having to learn disparate APIs, to simply having to learn .Net.  You don't have to learn one API for one aspect of the system, or another to do something else.  You just make a call to a system property or method.  Need to capture the input from the user, you don't need to communicate with a specific device.  Just make a single call waiting for the input and regardless of whether it comes from a controller, the IR remote, a wheel, or Kinect it gets captured.  The developer doesn't need to care what device the user uses, just whether or not A or B gets pressed.

If Nintendo is making easier to take what learned and code that is developed on one platform and port it to another, cool.  Making development easier for developers is what console makers need to do.  Too much money is lost in trying to learn new platforms. 

I'm not a true developer, but I have done development and one of the most frustrating experience for me was having to learn an API so I could do what I wanted to do.  That was frustrating and difficult enough with it being fairly well documented.  In the case of console platforms, I can imagine that development can be excruciating when there is no or inadequate documentation on the libraries. 

This isn't necessarily directed at you, but to those who think developers are lazy.  

People who think developers are lazy are idiots.  Developers are not the lazy ones, it's the technical writers and sample code developers with the console manufactures that are the lazy ones. 

Try to learn a language without every having heard it, having seen used in context, and only seeing a list of words in that language.  Then tell me if you're lazy (or not) because after two years you sound like an idiot rather than someone fluent in the language.  That's what it's like for developers developing on a new platform when the APIs aren't documented and there is no sample code to reference. 

VGKing said:
JazzB1987 said:

So this basically means AAA devs are to stupid to make games with tablet support even tho indie devs can do it? FAIL

Having a AAA game make use of touch screen controls on a tablet is very challenging. Most devs will have to think of ways to use it and actually make sense.

Hmmm.... Really? Then why are all these "firms" claiming the end of portables/consoles and beginning of the iPad gaming era?  Also I noticed these "devs" didn't say because of power. Makes me wonder if wiiu had a gpu upgrade maybe to ati 6series ?sometimes I wonder if gaming companies are also prissy fanboys that just choose to avoid certain platforms.

Fyi if the my iPad 3 is so powerful why does a simple task of typing this quoted post lag so horribly?

P.s. why couldnt Nintendo just add a xfire slot, so if/when we could just buy a second wiiu and get instant dual CPU/gpu configurations ug. Come on you know people would upgrade, also solves the 1wiiu pad issue ;)

lilbroex said:
Are these more invisible devs like most of the people prefer or ones with actual names?

Well, after having watched the vilification of developers that said it was difficult to develop on the PS3 when it came out, I'm sure no developer or development studio wants to publicly say that developing on one platform or another is bad.

However, no one in the survey said that any platform was bad to develop on, just which ones had either the steepest learning curve or would be the most challenging to take advantage of the available hardware features.  It would be logical for the Wii and PS4 to offer the greatest challenge for developers because they offer the extremely different hardware from the previous generation platforms.  If the PS4 is not Cell, but AMD it will offer a steep learning curve for developers to build games, but it'll be a short one as well.  Nothing they know about the PS3 except maybe input control will be useful.  Most everything else will be different, especially how to build games using it.  I don't suspect it'll take long though before developers are up to speed on the Wii U and PS4.  All three consoles are going to offer fairly similar levels of ease and difficulty for developers.  But initially, the next Xbox will be easiest because the least changes with it.

The excuses continue.

And no, this post isn't ironic.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.