By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Best Developers of the Generation?

Tagged games:

Best developer of this generation according to you?

Nintendo EAD 71 26.89%

Naughty Dog 86 32.58%

Blizzard 9 3.41%

Valve 23 8.71%

Sony Santa Monica 31 11.74%

Bungie 11 4.17%

Rockstar 11 4.17%

Another Sony studio 1 0.38%

Another Nintendo studio 3 1.14%

Other (please clarify) 18 6.82%

Total:264
Shinobi-san said:
Slimebeast said:
PullusPardus said:

I can't pick best, so I'll list some of the ones i can think of at the moment

- Sega

- Sony Japan

- Nintendo

- Atlus

- Bethesda (but the COPYRIGHT EVERYTHING thing is pissing me off)

- Valve

- CD Projekt RED

but to be honest its probably everyone except the listed

- Not Naughty Dog (Linear as hell games, barely have any replayability, and too much focus on graphics)

- Not Epic Games (same as above, Generic as hell games, but atleast has replayability)

- Not Ubisoft (all of it)

- Not Capcom (all of it)

- Not Idea Factory/ Compile Heart (their games are a big joke, and they know it, always going for the weeboo humor and hentai anime girls)

- Not HotHead Games (same as above but the american way)

- Not Bioware (their games suck ass after the first one in the series... ALWAYS, and they always the pointless sex scenes to appeal to kids so much that the characters feel shallow and stupid, so much that they always end up as a joke.)

- Not Mojang (I have no idea why everyone so obssessed with this indie company and notch, minecraft feels like a glorified level creator, and there is no point of playing it more than a couple of minutes, atleast Terraria had an actual good battle system and "Adventure" as in it pays if you try exploring)

- Not Microsoft (I don't want your freaking Media Apps, and I really don't want any more kinect games and Adverts about how great your freaking Windows Phone and Kinect are, I get it , stop shoving stuff on my face, Its not enough that I pay a yearly Xbox Live Gold account fee that you shove pointless adverts ofJersey Shore, Justin Beiber and some other american mainstream shit, I bought the console for games, not to waste money on freaking adverts, and some other PR Bullshit)

this is not a rant by the way.

I pretty much agree with this.

Have you seen the latest Far Cry 3 footage of the interactive movie scene in the burning house? I wanted to throw up.

All these AAA interactive movies are a disgrace to gaming.

I assume you talking about games like Uncharted when you say "interactive movies"....such bullshit. If you calling uncharted a disgrace to gaming then you are completely delusional.

Far Cry actually looks promising compared to Far Cry 2 which was boring as hell. Nothing but a benchmarking tool for my pc.

Theres nothing  wrong with a game focusing on cinematics, graphics, atmosphere and story. As long as they dont forsake gameplay then its algud. And based on sales, user reviews, and critic reviews id say uncharted did well in every category.

Yes, Uncharted is an interactive movie. There's maybe one or two hours of gameplay in each Uncharted, the rest plays by itself. And the little gameplay you have in Uncharted is ridiculously weak and simple.

You can do cinematic and story in a good way. Half-Life 2 is the famous example.

Call of Duty is the game who started this awful movie trend. Even the very first Call of Duty was horribly cinematic and scripted. Call of Duty always wanted to be Jerry Bruckheimer. Then came Uncharted and next up are Far Cry 3 and the new Tomb Raider who both are blatant Uncharted rip offs with highly cinematic and controlled game segments (ironic that Tomb Raider, who up until now always was a gameplay centric old-school game series, now is forced to rip off Uncharted because this cinematic trend is so succesful).

Not everything about Call of Duty and Uncharted is bad though. They give epic presentation, stories and drama for people who like that and they're very polished and free from bugs for people who like that (I prefer my games more spontaneous and a little rough around the edges) and Uncharted's graphics are obviously in a league of its own. Naughty Dog is very talented, but they waste all that tremendous talent in making extremely dumbed down and meaningless games in my opinion and their sucess forces other series to follow.

Around the Network
PullusPardus said:
Andrespetmonkey said:
PullusPardus said:

How in the world did you get "Linearity" from that Minecraft part?

- Not Mojang (I have no idea why everyone so obssessed with this indie company and notch, minecraft feels like a glorified level creator, and there is no point of playing it more than a couple of minutesatleast Terraria had an actual good battle system and "Adventure" as in it pays if you try exploring)

there is a huge difference between linearity and the lack of content, uncharted has both these issues though.

Uncharted 3 has an 8 hour single-player and a huge multi-player offering, including co-op. And DLC has been rolled out frequently and regularly. That's more content than most games. And since when was linearity an issue? I guess half-life 2 is a horrible game. If you don't like linearity in games that's fine, but it's a subjective criticism and should be treated as such. 

Half Life 2 is NOT linear, Halo Is NOT linear, Bad Company is NOT Linear, Metroid Prime Is NOT Linear, Left 4 Dead is NOT Linear, Bioshock Is NOT Linear....ect

You take on a level any way you want, By car? by walking? , Stealthy? ...ect

Call Of Duty IS Linear, Battlefield 3 is linear, Uncharted is Linear, Medal Of Honor (the last one) IS Linear

You take on a level only the way it tells you to do, you can't do it any other way,

example on Call Of duty's EVERYONE favourite mission the all guillied up one, it shows you where to go and tells you when you have to hide and when you have to shoot and exactly when you have to move, if you don't do that, it replays the part you messed up on, basically, its all handholding.

On Bad Company there is a similar mission , but you have the choice of either doing that, or WALK SOMEWHERE ELSE and snipe from afar, OR bring a car and ambush OR tell your squad mates to do it for you OR OR OR ....ect 

See? thats the difference, Call Of Duty your squad's movement and enemy movement are all scripted, same with uncharted and all the shooter listed above

I don't remember having many choices playing half-life 2 and in Uncharted there are plenty of places where you have the option of stealth or sneaking around enemies. But this is irrelevant to my point, which is linearity isn't necessarily a bad thing.  

pezus said:
Slimebeast said:
Shinobi-san said:

I assume you talking about games like Uncharted when you say "interactive movies"....such bullshit. If you calling uncharted a disgrace to gaming then you are completely delusional.

Far Cry actually looks promising compared to Far Cry 2 which was boring as hell. Nothing but a benchmarking tool for my pc.

Theres nothing  wrong with a game focusing on cinematics, graphics, atmosphere and story. As long as they dont forsake gameplay then its algud. And based on sales, user reviews, and critic reviews id say uncharted did well in every category.

Yes, Uncharted is an interactive movie. There's maybe one or two hours of gameplay in each Uncharted, the rest plays by itself. And the little gameplay you have in Uncharted is ridiculously weak and simple.

Uhm, that is just false. I don't think I even need to explain why.

Yeah that is generally when I stop replying.

Intel Core i7 3770K [3.5GHz]|MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower|Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866 2 x 4GB|MSI GeForce GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr 2|OCZ Vertex 4 128GB|Corsair HX750|Cooler Master CM 690II Advanced|

Slimebeast said:

the new Tomb Raider who both are blatant Uncharted rip offs with highly cinematic and controlled game segments (ironic that Tomb Raider, who up until now always was a gameplay centric old-school game series, now is forced to rip off Uncharted because this cinematic trend is so succesful)

i REALLY hope that isn't true, I mean I love Tomb Raider....

the original rumor about it being a "Survival" game rather than an Uncharted like game , i've still yet to see, they only shown scripted crap so far.

Shinobi-san said:
pezus said:
Slimebeast said:
Shinobi-san said:

Well, you guys were the one who were angry about my opinion, and kept replying about that single Uncharted part.

Around the Network
PullusPardus said:
Shinobi-san said:
pezus said:
Slimebeast said:
Shinobi-san said:

Well, you guys were the one who were angry about my opinion, and kept replying about that single Uncharted part.

Having an opinion is all good and fine but if you back up that opinion with nothing but made up fluff then you gonna be called out.

Typical example is Slimebeast's comment about uncharted having 1 to 2 hours of gameplay which he uses to backup hes opinion of the uncharted series. This is obviously factually wrong, giving less credibility to hes opinion of the uncharted series.

It seems to be a thing nowadays where if you call "opinion" nobody gets to challenge said opinion. Bullshit. You and slimebeast talk out your ass, expect people to call you out.

Intel Core i7 3770K [3.5GHz]|MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower|Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866 2 x 4GB|MSI GeForce GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr 2|OCZ Vertex 4 128GB|Corsair HX750|Cooler Master CM 690II Advanced|

To say uncharted holds your hands, would be the biggest joke ever. It doesn't. If any game holds your hands it's oblivion, you can press Q to auto walk.

I'm not reading through the entire thread, but are people upset with Pullus/Slimebeast because they don't like linear games?

Jay520 said:
I'm not reading through the entire thread, but are people upset with Pullus/Slimebeast because they don't like linear games?

More likely because they included Uncharted as example, I don't think anyone would even have responded otherwise...

DirtyP2002 said:
  1. Bungie (Halo 3. Halo ODST, Halo Reach were too big, too good)
  2. Rockstar (Red Dead Redemption is the reason why)
  3. Turn10 (They are releasing an 90+ rated game every 2 years and clearly outperform the competition)
  4. Infinity Ward (Making the CoD that big has to be respected)
  5. Epic Games (Gears of War Trilogy is outstanding, their graphics engine did dominate this generation)
  6. Naughty Dog (Uncharted 2 and 3 are awesome games, Uncharted 1 not that great, therefore behind epic)
  7. Bethesda Softworks (Skyrim and Fallout)
  8. Bioware (even though I did not get into the Mass Effect series I see the value in it)
  9. UbiSoft (Assassin's Creed + Tom Clancy are good games, but probably 2 different developers)
  10. Lionhead (Fable II and Fable III are good games, they seem to have more potential though)

Very nice list and would be the same for me. I'll add Valve and Nintendo in there to make it complete. :)