By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Best Developers of the Generation?

Tagged games:

Best developer of this generation according to you?

Nintendo EAD 71 26.89%

Naughty Dog 86 32.58%

Blizzard 9 3.41%

Valve 23 8.71%

Sony Santa Monica 31 11.74%

Bungie 11 4.17%

Rockstar 11 4.17%

Another Sony studio 1 0.38%

Another Nintendo studio 3 1.14%

Other (please clarify) 18 6.82%

Total:264
Jay520 said:
I'm not reading through the entire thread, but are people upset with Pullus/Slimebeast because they don't like linear games?

No, what I called Pardus on was calling linearity an issue and saying Uncharted lacks content. If he doesn't like linearity than that's fine, but like I've said that's a subjective criticism and should be treated as such. Uncharted has more content than most games and that can be discussed objectively, so that's why I called him on that as well as the linearity thing.

Slimebeast said something like Uncharted has 2 hours of gameplay, but I don't think that's even worth a reply so I didn't say anything.

Around the Network
Millenium said:
Jay520 said:
I'm not reading through the entire thread, but are people upset with Pullus/Slimebeast because they don't like linear games?

More likely because they included Uncharted as example, I don't think anyone would even have responded otherwise...

l think I'll read the entire thread to get a better understanding of this fiasco.

Millenium said:
Jay520 said:

More likely because they included Uncharted as example, I don't think anyone would even have responded otherwise...

No, it's because Pardus made one criticism he couldn't back up and treated a style of a game as a flaw.

1. Nintendo EAD ( For the Zelda and recent Galaxy Games)
2. Capcom ( For the Phoenix Wright series that has been released for the DS this generation and as well for Asura's Wrath)
3. Rocksteady (for the two amazing Batman games)
4. Intelligent Systems (for SPM, which I really enjoyed and Pushmo, really can't wait for Paper Mario 3DS).
5. THQ ( for Metro and Darksiders, can't wait for the sequels)

Check out my Upcoming Wii U Games 2014 Thread

3DS Friend Code: 4553 - 9954 - 4854. Name - David

Andrespetmonkey said:
Jay520 said:

No, what I called Pardus on was calling linearity an issue and saying Uncharted lacks content. If he doesn't like linearity than that's fine, but like I've said that's a subjective criticism and should be treated as such. Uncharted has more content than most games and that can be discussed objectively, so that's why I called him on that as well as the linearity thing.

Slimebeast said something like Uncharted has 2 hours of gameplay, but I don't think that's even worth a reply so I didn't say anything.

It seems to me that Pullus is saying linearity is an issue with him. It doesn't sound like he's speaking objectively. And by lack of content, I'm assuming he's talking about the single player (I've never seen him talking about multiplayer games). This would be fine since Uncharted games are like only 8-12 hour games. Pretty low when comparing it with the best developers out there.

Slimebeast isn't making much since though.

Around the Network
Shinobi-san said:
pezus said:
mantlepiecek said:
Naughty Dog is awesome. By best developers I consider everything, and ND has a lot of updates for their games, their graphic engine is super awesome, their set pieces are awesome, gameplay maybe linear, but linear games have their own charm if done right. Uncharted is the second best linear game imo. The best goes to God of War.

You would be stupid to say Santa Monica doesn't deserve a mention for making God of War linear btw. There's more to a game then it's linearity/openness.

Pretty much this. It seems some just like to think linearity = bad, all or most of the time. In my experience that is not the case. Often far from it. Some of the best games of all time are linear, but some are open and grant you more freedom. It's just a different style of games, not like good vs. evil.

It seem to be the latest mantra of the so called "Hardcore" gamer.

Linearity = crap.

90% of the time they have no clue what they talking about or are just looking for a reaction.

Well said Shinobi-san. The self declared "hardcore" gamer is pretty much pissed off all the time these days. Barely hear anything light hearted or positive from this crowd. 

I welcome a bit of linearity and sense of direction. One can only have so much time for entertainment and has to balance that among other venues of it like movies, music, reading for fun and playing sports. 300 hours for skyrim alone is a bit too much. 

Happy gaming everyone and cherish these developers and stop the negativity. 

1. Nintendo
2. Squarenix
3. Atlus
4. Retro studios
5. Capcom

I'd personally put SSM above ND

Jay520 said:
It seems to me that Pullus is saying linearity is an issue with him. It doesn't sound like he's speaking objectively.

Didn't seem like that to me, he said "Not Naughty Dog (Linear as hell games..." as if linearity alone is a valid criticism. That's like someone saying "I don't like Bethesda games, they're open as hell." See what I mean?

And by lack of content, I'm assuming he's talking about the single player (I've never seen him talking about multiplayer games). This would be fine since Uncharted games are like only 8-12 hour games. Pretty low when comparing it with the best developers out there.

Even when only considering the single-player (which you shouldn't do if talking objectively), Uncharted's 8-12 hour campaign is above standard for a linear game. 

Slimebeast isn't making much since though.

"Didn't seem like that to me, he said "Not Naughty Dog (Linear as hell games..." as if linearity alone is a valid criticism. That's like someone saying "I don't like Bethesda games, they're open as hell." See what I mean?"

Nah, not really. A person can dislike open games & that would be understandable.

"Even when only considering the single-player (which you shouldn't do if talking objectively), Uncharted's 8-12 hour campaign is above standard for a linear game. "

Above the standard? Sure. Does it help support Naughty Dog as being a top game developer? (Which is the topic of the thread). Not to some people.