By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - The PS2 is doomed (2000)

Maybe this is one of those incompetent retarded analisyst that is saying the Wii will die today.

Kimi wa ne tashika ni ano toki watashi no soba ni ita

Itsudatte itsudatte itsudatte

Sugu yoko de waratteita

Nakushitemo torimodosu kimi wo

I will never leave you

Around the Network
solinox said:
Wow...maybe history really is repeating itself.

no not really because in its first year ps2 sold much more then ps3,so not really though this gen is still in an early stage to till who will win though for now ninty is most likely gonna win

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

@ happy squirrel and fishyjoe

i guess you can make a valid argument that the Wii can be related to this article, but i was trying to compare the similarities of this article to the ps3.

The Wii sold almost double in its first year plus a few months, than the ps2 did in its first year plus a few months, worldwide. So unlike the ps2, Wii sales so far are considerably different than the ps2 IMO. they are more similar to the ps3 sales cause first year (plus a couple months) sales of the ps2 were about 9.2 million (i think), and the ps3 had around 8.9, so i'm thinking the ps3 is more similar to the ps2 than Wii-ps2.

heh, somebody revived this article again. =)
Though, i showed it like half a year ago. =]

Soon, PS3 domiantion will be obvious to every sony hater. =)

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far

I still think the ps2 is going down, it will never sell, Gamecube FTW

Around the Network
HappySqurriel said:

Unlike the PS3 (which is typically used as a comparison) the PS2 actually sold so well that it ensured heavy third party support through out its life.

This article was posted the day after the American launch so what sales figures should he have been aware of?

___O_o______ said:

i guess you can make a valid argument that the Wii can be related to this article, but i was trying to compare the similarities of this article to the ps3.

The Wii sold almost double in its first year plus a few months, than the ps2 did in its first year plus a few months, worldwide. So unlike the ps2, Wii sales so far are considerably different than the ps2 IMO. they are more similar to the ps3 sales cause first year (plus a couple months) sales of the ps2 were about 9.2 million (i think), and the ps3 had around 8.9, so i'm thinking the ps3 is more similar to the ps2 than Wii-ps2.

yeah but ps2's sales were that much because for about 7 months it was only launched in japan

viewsonic9 said:
HappySqurriel said:

Unlike the PS3 (which is typically used as a comparison) the PS2 actually sold so well that it ensured heavy third party support through out its life.

This article was posted the day after the American launch. 

yeah but it had launched in japan for about 7 months and sold really well there

___O_o______ said:

The PS2 was exclusive to Japan most of the first year. Making a launch comparison on a worldwide basis fails for this reason.

The PS2 sold more in its first two days than the PS3 did for the first 8 months in Japan. 

Yup Wii will be even bigger than the PS2 in spite of the nay sayers

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)