By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Art Academy WiiU and Educational Software

Tagged games:

With the introduction of the Wii U controller, we have been wondering how developers will take advantage of it. Will they have an extra menu/map or will it act as another window into the game? Inventories, gyro-controled cameras, asymmetrical gameplay, even NFC toys, you have seem them come out one by one.

But where is the stylus so far? I only remember two examples shown way back at last year's E3. Few glimpses of Art Academy revealed during their video reel or a playable Measure Up in the show floor. Both possible updates of popular educational DS titles, which were important for the success of the DS.

Educational games were seen as useful and beneficial. Brain Age's character recognition available from resistive touchscreen's was a great success, and other memory and reflex games followed through like Big Brain Academy or Sight Training. Leading to huge selection of puzzle games ranging from 3D Picross to Professor Layton. But what is going to happen with the Wii U?

The market isn't the same as with the DS, there are a bunch of competitors already in the handheld and mobile market. Hard decisions must have been made with the Wii U, to consider which titles would stay with the console and which would go to the 3DS. Not sure if we will ever see a Mario Calligraphy or Do Maths with Mario, but the Wii U eShop will be filled with puzzles, with some using the stylus as a dexterous input. And with last year's reveal, there are at least two Wii U educational updates with Art Academy and a Brain Age-y.

Will Nintendo show a few more during this E3? Original content or DS updates? Retail or downloadable?

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

Around the Network

Mario Teaches Typing iPadding.

badgenome said:

Mario Teaches Typing iPadding.

Many kids are learning/playing with tablets nowadays, Nintendo needs to reel them back in.

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

I have been saying it from the first time I saw the Wii U, the next "Wii Fit" game could be a learn-to-draw game (like Art Academy DS but way better) on the Wii U ...

As a rough guestimate, at least 25% of people would like to be more artistic and there is about 1 person in every household who would want to learn to draw/paint. A well made art game could easily sell 20+ Million units worldwide.

I actually hope that Nintendo keeps the Wii Fit franchise and builds on it.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network

I really liked the idea of Art Academy, but since I don't have a DS and handhelds aren't my cup of coffee, I couldn't "play" with it.

If they release something similar on WiiU, I'd definitely buy it. Without a doubt.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

I would rather have that games use the stylus for games like professor Layton and drawing games like Drawn to Life

I was just about to make a thread about this, but ya saved me the trouble

I always thought it was a perfect educational machine. On the tv screen, it showcases how to draw letters, shapes, numbers, etc... And on the wiiu pad you are able to write what you see on the screen and it detects how accurate you are. This is much better than other tablets and Handhelds/phones because the screen is perfectly sized for it, you can have a stylus to write with, and you have a tv to work with. I think it would work great

mootap said:
I would rather have that games use the stylus for games like professor Layton and drawing games like Drawn to Life

Don't worry, Drawn to life will come for sure. I'm not so sure about a Layton game, but I'm sure others will come.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Jumpin said:
I actually hope that Nintendo keeps the Wii Fit franchise and builds on it.

I guess we could put WiiFit inside educational software. There are various of ways they could improve the title. Like finally integrating their DS pedometers or use the built-in one in 3DS (with a 3DS Fit application). Or maybe adding a heart beat monitor to help you with breathing and motivate yourself just like in EA Sports Active.

bobgamez said:

I was just about to make a thread about this, but ya saved me the trouble

I always thought it was a perfect educational machine. On the tv screen, it showcases how to draw letters, shapes, numbers, etc... And on the wiiu pad you are able to write what you see on the screen and it detects how accurate you are. This is much better than other tablets and Handhelds/phones because the screen is perfectly sized for it, you can have a stylus to write with, and you have a tv to work with. I think it would work great

You are more than welcomed! I myself was thinking about this just after someone posted an E3 2011 recap. I saw that geometry game again after all these months and remembered my cousins or nephews playing two months ago with their iPads with memory, sounds/vehicles, letter apps.

Although this isn't the core direction Nintendo is aiming for the WiiU (going by recent statements). I still think they need to keep that family base and try expand it further. Just like those older customers they got with the brain games or weight conscious ones with the exercises. Iwata said last E3 that the Wii U direction is deep and wide; meaning toddlers, kids, teenagers, adults, elderly... everyone?

"¡Viva la Ñ!"