By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony expects to sell 32 million consoles and handhelds next FY - Is it possible?

Update: PS3 price cut and lower hardware sales contribute to $5.74 billion loss for Sony Corp

Sony's Consumer Products and Services division suffered an operating loss of ¥229.8 billion ($2.8bn) for the full year ended March 2012, compared to a profit of ¥10.8 billion in 2011.

Sales were down 18.5 per cent to ¥3.13 trillion ($38.2 billion) from ¥3.84 trillion, with all segments of the division - games, PCs, LCD televisions and digital cameras hit by poor sales. Sony's price reduction of the PlayStation 3 and lower sales of the PlayStation 2 were singled out specifically in the games business.

Hardware sales were down across the business compared to last year, with Sony selling 13.9 million PlayStation 3 units compared to 14.3 million the previous year.

PSP hardware sales were down from 8 million to 6.8 million and PlayStation 2 console sales dropped from 6.4 million to 4.1 million.

Unit sales of consumer electronics and game products.

Software sales for the PlayStation 3 increased from 147.9 million to 156.6 million, while PSP game sales fell from 46.6 million to 32.2 million. PlayStation 2 game sales dropped from 16.4 million to 7.9 million units.

Predictions for hardware sales for the next financial year are also low, with combined PlayStation 3 and PS2 sales of 16 million units compared to the 18 million sold in the closing financial year. PSP (including PS Vita) hardware sales are expected to rise from 6.8 million to 16 million. Packaged software sales are forecast to remain the same with 196.7 million units.

For the entire Sony corporation, sales were ¥6.49 trillion ($79.1bn) for the full year, with a net loss of ¥456.7 billion ($5.74 billion), compared to a loss of ¥259.6 billion the previous year.

16m for PS2+PS3 and 16m for PSP+PSV. How shall each platform perform?

I'm expecting:

14m for PS3, 2m for PS2 (this could be lower)

10m  for PSV, 5m for PSP (15m in total is my prediction)

Around the Network

Possible for home consoles, this year, Sony sold 13,9M PS3 and 4,1M PS2 = 18M home consoles

But for handheld consoles, I think probably 10M consoles (PSP+Vita) and 12M max.

I don't see the handhelds reaching 16m FY unless Sony bundle them with crack.

My 3ds friendcode: 5413-0232-9676 (G-cyber)

cyberninja45 said:

Crystal
white Vita

cyberninja45 said:

I heard they bundle Vita with cars. Buy a Vita, get a free car.

Around the Network

That's not really that big of a number. Nintendo did 34 million last year, and last year was an off year for them.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

cyberninja45 said:

Now I understand why it's called Gravity Daze!

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"

Jumpin said:
That's not really that big of a number. Nintendo did 34 million last year, and last year was an off year for them.

What is the biggest number of consoles shipped for Nintendo? Did they really do 34 last year? How many Wii's, DS and 3DS did they sold?

I think 32m is the biggest for Sony, unless they did a bigger combination with the heydays of PS2.

Not sure if the price cut was worth it or not...

Yay!!!

I trust Kaz and I think Sony is gearing up for a big E3 this year.

Does the sales match VG numbers and does it includes digital downloads

Bet with gooch_destroyer, he wins if FFX and FFX-2 will be at $40 each for the vita. I win if it dont

Sign up if you want to see God Eater 2 get localized!! https://www.change.org/petitions/shift-inc-bring-god-eater-2-to-north-america-2#share