By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony expects to sell 32 million consoles and handhelds next FY - Is it possible?

Turkish said:
Jumpin said:
That's not really that big of a number. Nintendo did 34 million last year, and last year was an off year for them.

What is the biggest number of consoles shipped for Nintendo? Did they really do 34 last year? How many Wii's, DS and 3DS did they sold?

I think 32m is the biggest for Sony, unless they did a bigger combination with the heydays of PS2.

FY ending March 2009:

DS hardware: 31.18 million
Wii hardware: 25.95 million

GBA hardware: 0.42 million
GC hardware: 0.09 million

Total: 57.64 million

------

I think Sony's FY 2008 (which is actually the same time period as Nintendo's FY 2009) was their best year as well, with 36.5 million hardware units.

As for Sony's projection... I think they will cut it close with home consoles... probably around 2-2.5 million PS2s, and 13-13.5 million PS3s. PSP might manage 5 million or so, which leaves 11 million minimum for the Vita. I can only assume they are going to cut the price for Christmas if they expect that many Vitas.

Around the Network
TWRoO said:
Turkish said:
Jumpin said:
That's not really that big of a number. Nintendo did 34 million last year, and last year was an off year for them.

What is the biggest number of consoles shipped for Nintendo? Did they really do 34 last year? How many Wii's, DS and 3DS did they sold?

I think 32m is the biggest for Sony, unless they did a bigger combination with the heydays of PS2.

FY ending March 2009:

DS hardware: 31.18 million
Wii hardware: 25.95 million

GBA hardware: 0.42 million
GC hardware: 0.09 million

Total: 57.64 million

Aaaaw shit! that's a shit load of consoles!! Might it even be THE BIGGEST numbers of consoles shipped for any one ever?

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

13 million PS3
3 million PS2
4 million PSP
12 million PSV

Seems likely.

Consoles...maybe...but I'm leaning towards no. Handhelds...hell no.

Also, how many quarterly losses of this magnitude can Sony afford? Damn near $6b? Good lord.

Bet between Slimbeast and Arius Dion about Wii sales 2009:

If the Wii sells less than 20 million in 2009 (as defined by VGC sales between week ending 3d Jan 2009 to week ending 4th Jan 2010) Slimebeast wins and get to control Arius Dion's sig for 1 month.

If the Wii sells more than 20 million in 2009 (as defined above) Arius Dion wins and gets to control Slimebeast's sig for 1 month.

Turkish said:
PS3+PSV bundle for 399

You heard it here first folks!

You're not much use to me alive, are you, Tur......wait.  That's actually not a bad idea.  No need to feed 'im to the pigs.

Around the Network

PS3/PS2 forecasts should be OK, but I don't see them ship 16 million handhelds. They must have something up their sleeve because in today's situation it's more likely going to be 5m Vitas and 5 m PSPs. Vita will need a 50$ price cut + top games if it is to reach 10m.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osborne_effect

Now everyone waits for a vita price cut, so it will kill it's sales at least until E3/TGS. It seems Sony doesn't learn.

Sony, you need to do something to be able to reach this mark for your PSVita. It's pretty possible for your PS3 to be able to do good but come on, do you see what you have done to your Vita so far? Not much. And it's sales are proving the point.

If Sony does nothing, which I'm kind of predicting that they won't do much/enough, then this won't happen.

PSP

FY2007 - 9.6
FY2008 - 13.8
FY2009 - 14.1
FY2010 - 9.9
FY2011 - 8.0
FY2012 - 6.8

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=37732751&postcount=1

12m for Vita this year? They need games becuase at this rate won't make it.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

No. see them revising that down substantially.

PSP and Vita won't reach 10m together. Unless both have serious price drops... but really PSP is kinda dead me thinks.

PS2 will continue to have its slow drop and PS3 will do less this FY than last. So, it will probably be around 10m to 11m.

All in all, I'd bet over 20m and under ... 26m for Playstation family.