By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony expects to sell 32 million consoles and handhelds next FY - Is it possible?

PS3+PSV bundle for 399

You heard it here first folks!

Around the Network
Panama said:

I'm honestly surprised PS2 still sells so well, I have not seen one in a store for years now.

I believe that today most of its sales come from underdevelopment countries. Por example, last year in Brazil 55% of consoles sold were PS2s.

source.

Without a price cut and good games theres no way the Vita will sell more than 4 million this year.

Turkish said:

Update: PS3 price cut and lower hardware sales contribute to $5.74 billion loss for Sony Corp

16m for PS2+PS3 and 16m for PSP+PSV. How shall each platform perform?

I'm expecting:

14m for PS3, 2m for PS2 (this could be lower)

10m  for PSV, 5m for PSP (15m in total is my prediction)

I´d say that Sony´s prediction is extremely optmistic, specially if we consider that its handhelds may struggle  with the competition  of smartphones and a strong 3DS.

Your numbers seem more realistic to me.

what I don't get,is how Sony are any other business can sell millions of products,but always loose money every fiscal year. I'm no business guy,but that just does'nt make any sense 2 me.

Around the Network

Can't wait to see what they've got in store for the Vita at E3. Hoping for some big game announcements, GTA hopefully being one of them.

This is home consoles and handhelds combined right? If so, 32 million is possible, even if the sales for the Vita are slacking, the sales of the PS3 could make up for it.

This has gotten my hopes up for E3, SONY are expecting a lot from the Vita.

oldschoolfool said:
what I don't get,is how Sony are any other business can sell millions of products,but always loose money every fiscal year. I'm no business guy,but that just does'nt make any sense 2 me.

The main thing causing a loss is them selling TV's at a loss still, and also exchange rates are hurting alot of japanese companies. If it wasnt for Consumer Products and services losing billion Sony would have made 2.6 billion USD this financial year.

spurgeonryan said:
I can not imagine them making much money off emerging markets. It surprises me that they even try, other than getting the Sony name out there.

I predict a PSP Go / Vita bundle. 200 dollars. Also there will be a ton of games st E3. Surprised none have been leaked yet!

It's a smart strategy. Sony are hopeful that all the people buying PS2's in developing markets will one day be doing the same with PS3's.

For PS3 and Ps2 is likely. 3M ps2 and 13M ps3 or something like that. Maybe 14-2M. maybe 12M-4M.

But for handhelds i dont know, seems way too high... 4M psps and 12M Vitas ?? Hmm