By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony expects to sell 32 million consoles and handhelds next FY - Is it possible?

Price cut at e3 is confirmed now. No way they'd be crazy to make this prospect while selling sub 10k in japan right now. 199 dollars Wi-fi and discontinuing the 3G version.

But nice! I'll get mine in august cheaper!

Around the Network

Massive price cuts for the Vita would make this a possibility, if only a remote one. They really need to work hard and bleed money if they expect to sell 32 million units this year.

Nintendo last year sold 33.646M units of Wii, DS and 3DS -- even with the Wii in its death throws. So the number can be done.

Nevertheless, Sony is being very optimistic on its sales estimates. It can't cut prices too much (if at all) because of the corporate bottom line. And a console estimate like that means Sony will not be saying anything about Orbis that could kill PS3 sales (though the WiiU and any Duragno news could).

Fopr reference, Sony sold 7.808M handhelds and 14.128 PS3s (no PS2 data available). Currently, based upon first quarter comparisons, PS3 is tracking at 13.167M for 2012 and PSP at 2.586 (EDIT to correct number). Estimates for Vita cannot be made based upon year-to-year performance. PS2 data is not available.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

MonHun incoming.

That explains everything.trololol!

oldschoolfool said:
what I don't get,is how Sony are any other business can sell millions of products,but always loose money every fiscal year. I'm no business guy,but that just does'nt make any sense 2 me.

I read on neogaf that Sony has around $30bn in tha bank.

Around the Network
Turkish said:
oldschoolfool said:
what I don't get,is how Sony are any other business can sell millions of products,but always loose money every fiscal year. I'm no business guy,but that just does'nt make any sense 2 me.

60 years of profits aren't gonna be wiped out with a few consecutive years of losses, even if they are over  5 billion dollars.

They will raech the gola in Homeconsoles, maybe even surprass it.
For handhleds...nah, they are overstimating them.

Ye I think they'll get those targets. I can see ps3 doing 14mill plus. With the games that will come out in combination with a likely super slim model I can see it doing that. Ps2 will still sell ok so I reckon 16mill is attainable.

At the current rate the vita is going theres no way psp+psv can reach that. However I'm 100% sure Sony will announce some real killer apps at e3. If it was to release cod, gran turismo, assassins creed etc over the holidays, combined with a possible price cut, I reckon it can go to around 12mill. Psp will still sell well in europe and japan which will also keep it at 4mill.

kowenicki said:
Turkish said:
oldschoolfool said:

No they dont.

their market cap is $15.46bn  (total market value of the all share capital (the company))

they have cash in the bank of $17.75bn

they have debt of $13.66bn

http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/q/ks?s=SNE

Interesting, Microsoft has more cash then Apple

Well, since we've seen some pretty big games being announced already during spring (GoW4, Battle Royale) I think they have something big planned for e3. They should focus on the Vita with a pricecut (to $199) and some big ass games! With big enough games, and enough of them, they could reach their goals of selling 10m Vitas... But they rly need to play their cards right.

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.